Arlington Reviews

kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Arlington Reviews

Post by kport »

atreyu wrote:
porschesrule wrote:This review from Broadway World (Baltimore) calls the Signature Theatre BETM production "Just Plain Spectacular"
That is an excellent description of the Signature Theatre production, although I have to say I'm wondering how the characterization came about of "[Billy's] father is a coal miner who loses his job thanks to Prime Minister Maggie Thatcher". Loses his job??? He goes on strike from his job, crosses a picket line which is a very significant event and ultimately returns to his job. So where does "loses his job" figure into the picture? :?
The quote is confused in terms of the timeline, but Thatcher's actions against the coal mining industry ultimately did lead to closure:
Easington Colliery began when the pit was sunk in 1899, near the coast; indeed the pylon for the aerial flight that carried tubs of colliery waste from the mine stood just inside the North Sea. Thousands of workers came to the area from all parts of Britain and with the new community came new shops, pubs, clubs, and many rows of terraced "colliery houses" for the mine workers and their families.

On 7 May 1993, the mine was closed, with the loss of 1,400 jobs, causing a decline in the local economy. The pit shaft headgear was demolished the following year.

Return to “2018 Regional Reviews”