Posting to archived threads

For off-topic content
andrewcraig
Tony

Posting to archived threads

Post by andrewcraig »

Recently I have been reprimanded for posting to threads in the archives, incorrectly.
I tried the suggestions made to me, but they did not work. I was in fact suspended.
Today I checked in but forgot to "log in"
First I looked at Joanna Riding and was surprised to see posts going back to 2009
Next to Liam Mower and was able to go right back to the opening show.
I tried to post and found I was not logged in
But then when I returned to Joanna Riding and then Liam Mower all the archive was gone.
I know I am 82 and feeble but there is a difference to what you can see before you log in, and after.
I suggest this to admin as something they may look at .
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Posting to archived threads

Post by ERinVA »

andrewcraig wrote:Recently I have been reprimanded for posting to threads in the archives, incorrectly.
I tried the suggestions made to me, but they did not work. I was in fact suspended.
Today I checked in but forgot to "log in"
First I looked at Joanna Riding and was surprised to see posts going back to 2009
Next to Liam Mower and was able to go right back to the opening show.
I tried to post and found I was not logged in
But then when I returned to Joanna Riding and then Liam Mower all the archive was gone.
I know I am 82 and feeble but there is a difference to what you can see before you log in, and after.
I suggest this to admin as something they may look at .
Sorry for your difficulties, andrewcraig. Hopefully I can clear up some of these issues for you.

First, to be clear, you have never been suspended from this forum. I am sorry you have that impression, but it is simply not true.

Now on to other questions/issues:

1. "Checking in" vs "logging in": Anyone can read the forum at any time without logging in; however, many navigational functions, such as "View new posts," for example, only work if you are logged in. There is also a Members Only section to the forum that is not visible to anyone who is not logged in. So yes, what you can see if you are not logged in is different from what you can see if you are logged in. Also, only logged in members can add posts to threads by using Post Reply, or start new threads by clicking on New Topic. These buttons are found at the bottom left of the post/page you are viewing while logged in.

2. Location of threads for former cast members: All threads for former cast members from all major BETM productions are active threads which remain open for posts. Unless a thread is found in the section of the forum labeled Archive, where it has been relocated and locked, it should be an active thread.

Take your examples of Liam Mower and Joanna Riding's threads: Both of these threads are located under the Former Cast-UK link, found on the Board Index page under the Chat About Billy Elliot the Musical - London heading. So if you click on Former Cast - UK, you will be presented with the first of 6 total pages of cast member names from the London production. At the moment, Joanna Riding and Liam Mower's names are the first two on the list because their threads were the two most recently added to. The names on the list rotate automatically to show the threads with the most recent posts at the top.

Many cast threads have multiple pages, starting with the oldest posts first and moving chronologically through to the most recent posts on the last page of the thread. So if you want to check out the most recent post in the thread, click on the final page number of the thread given at the top right of the page you are on. As long as you are logged in, you can also click on View new posts at the top right of your screen, and you will see the most recent posts in all the threads on the forum.

Warning: if you log out and log back on, the threads you saw as a result of that action will no longer appear for you because the system assumes you read them all before logging out. I suspect that this is what happened to you when the information you had been reading disappeared.

I hope this information helps.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “General Chat”