Audience Member

Reviews - Czech Republic

Post by PLuto »

Reviews - Czech Republic
PLuto
Audience Member

Re: Reviews - Czech Republic

Post by PLuto »

I had opportunity to visit performance of Billy Eliot in Plzen last Friday, 31.1.2020.

First of all I would like to say that I know very well how difficult it is to judge performance, when you have seen original production, polished by 6-7 preformances per week for many years comparing to smaller production with 3-4 performances per month and with actors playing in other performances/theatres meanwhile. So for sure it is different production, adapted to local possibilities, with some changes in scenes and usually also easier choreography, which is pity in some parts. But in general I must say that it is really great performance. When I have seen Billy in London, I was afraid of the quality if someone will try to bring it to Czech. And I am happy that final result is really good and nobody can be disappointed. Especially if they dont know the original and has no comparison.

I really like the stage design. Basic stage with two mining towers and metal bridge in back is really impressive and helps to bring the correct atmosphere, especially on beginning. House of Billy is set with kitchen moving up from floor with childrens room on top - it is working in similar way like in VPT and with no technical issues maybe better. Rest is done almost in usual way, only painted curtain in audition is replaced by transparent one and people are behind, not in front of.

In terms of actors, Billy on my performance was Miloslav Frydl and I must say he did his job well. Like mentioned before, choreography was easier than in London, but that is not so big surprise, but I will prefer choreographer to be more courageous. On beginning of Letter he started too high with his voice, so it was not so easy to sing and it was too quiet. But rest of performance was great. As Michael I had Jaromir Dezort and he enjoyed it from beginning till the end, great job and I am happy that he had more parts to show (especially in finale, but also in some other scenes). Mrs. Wilkinson was Ivana Chylkova, famous czech actress. When I was in London and was thinking, who from czech actress should be Mrs. Wilkinson, I have found her as the best. So I had high expectations. As actress she is really great, singing is also good. But I was little bit disappointed with dancing - I think it was also mainly about choreography, maybe they didnt believed her so much, so make the choreography easier. Which is bad as she is dance teacher. As Grandma was Ludmila Molinova and I had same opinion as the best actress for this role before. And she confirmed it totally, she was really great grandma and showed more dance than Mrs. Wilkinson. Father was Martin Stransky who did his job great in all parts, same like Tony Lukas Ondrus, dead mum Sona Hanzlickova Borkova and others including Ondrej Baumrukr as Mr. Braithwaite, this time more active then in London. I should also note that language is rough with strong words, no soften version. I think there are more strong words than in original version, which is good as it is part of this performance, same like smoking on scene.

Now I will try summarize the performance step by step with biggest differences comparing to original London production.

Performance starts without small boy, directly with color movie about miners. That miners are on podium behind transparent curtain approx 10 min before start of performance, others are in auditorium when audience is coming to the seats and after start The Stars Look Down they move to podium. Michael is not using bike, but kick-scooter, Billy not start singing when he sits on the chair, but lying below two chairs. At the end of The Stars Look Down is also dancing choreography of whole company, which was missing in original production for me. Next part in house is almost same with one exception - during the discussion between family members it is mentioned that mother is dead, before she came for first time to the podium. Also scene in boxing gym is usual (with exception that George allows Michael to go to toilet). Shine starts in usual way, only chairs for girls are only in few pieces - better to say they are replaced by horizontal ballet pole placed on chairs. In this scene choreography is very changed, not so much dance from Mrs. Wilkinson and surprise comes in 3/4 when ballet girls are replaced by "four old ballet girls" and it doesnt work bad. But in general this scene doesnt impress so much like in London. Also Mr. Braithwaite is more on the scene and dancing with girls. Shadow dancing of Billy is made also great with the shadow placed on metal fence. Grandma's Song made in similar way like in London, only "dream boys" dance was made far back of the stage, so it looks like grandma is entering to her dream, when she is going to dance and then return back. Only pity is that dream is really too far away, so we cannot see the details of dance. Next step is Solidarity. I must say that I like rough arrival of policemen in London version, it is great contrast comparing to melancholic song of Grandma. I was quite disappointed that here policemen arrived only on side and didnt do that first movements - for me this place lost its charm, it was too soft. Rest of Solidarity is done in usual way, but with using that metal bridge so policemen are on the border stage/audience, people on strike are on the bridge, so this is more impressive. But for me there is missing rough contact between strikers/policemen and also with ballet girls. And one of the top of Solidarity - dance of all three groups together, is also much worse (in terms of choreography). On the other hand, no biscuit for Billy (attempt for pirouette position is still there) and again changed choreography for dancing together. In the speech of father is not used Wayne Sleep (which is not so known here), but Mikhail Baryshnikov. At the end, when Billy says to his father "I hate you", czech version is longer and more expressive, I liked it a lot. Toilet scene in normal. Then comes Expressing yourself. Again different choreography (after beginning they dance on the bed, at the end not big dresses, but men in colored dresses in normal size with moving mirrors). It is different, easier choreography, but really well done and one of the highlights of the performance. And at the end is Michael lifted up by the hands of other dancers - also good addition ad main star of this scene should be (and is) Michael. Scene with Dad and Tony in normal. Then we are back in dancing lessons. Like I wrote before, start of Letter was too high for Billy's voice, so beginning was too quiet and lost a little bit of correct emotional attack, but rest was ok and brought correct emotions. Then Born to Boogie - again different choreography, more used with funny Mr. Braithwaite. No chair (again replaced by pole between one chair and hand of Mr. Braithwaite), no rope dancing. And if I am correct, no step for Mrs. Wilkinson... In general it was not bad, but I will prefer to be more courageous. Scene on toilet is in opposite direction - Billy outside and Debbie on toilet and then no hug of Billy and Mrs. Wilkinson. Next scene is at home and is almost similar to original. Only Billy is not asking Mrs. Wilkinson so many times not to telling about ballet and audition. It is small detail, but with that questions I see Billy more frustrated with the situation. Next step is Angry Dance. I must say I like the first and last part, which is really atmospheric and like it should be. But in the middle part, for me, there is so many other people on scene (policemen, strikers) - this scene should be focused mainly to Billy and to his dance, but in this version it isnt with so many focus to riots. At the end of Billy's performance, he stay lying on the ground and courtain goes down. I like more the original version, where he stands up, look to the audience (place to enjoy the applaus) and slowly walks away with angry feeling.

Second half starts with raffle, where is missing almost whole part of talking in front of courtain. Also choreography of MCHMT is different, immediately on beginning ballet girls are dancing. I must say that I like this different version, of course including big Margaret Thatcher. Deep into the Ground is standard same like Michael with tutu skirt. Next one is dream ballet. Again without chair, on the other hand with 4 older Billys - or better, if I understand well, with four famous characters from famous ballet performances. Of course that means different choreography, but still working well including flying. Scene with Dad at Mrs. Wilkinson is very similar, but with some "updated" details (more funny Mr. Wilkinson, Debbie behind glass of doors, Dad ringing twice) I like that czech version, despite no snowing. I also like czech version of next scene. When Dad is returning back to work, Tony is going over the fence and shouting to him. But He could be a star starts only in next scene, when Jackie is returning back home from job and all other people are waiting for him in kitchen. It is more logical, same with money collecting in same place after. And at the end of this scene, where is presented hug of Jackie and Tony, in czech production also Billy is included, so it is helping to raise the atmosphere. Scene with scab is same and we are going to audition. Like mentioned, painted curtain is not there, instead of it there is transparent curtain and all actors are behind. Biggest difference is regarding the audition - Billy gives the money directly to the desk lady and wants to give her also cassette, but she tells him that there is no need to use music as this audition is only about showing basic figures. Also audition is different - judge is only as shadown deep in the scene and all voices are on playback. Voice of the chairman is by Vlastimil Harapes, the most famous and well known ballet dancer in Czech, who was also actor in some movies later, so people knows his voice. There is no first part of discussion with judges including cassette joke. Rest is normal with one exception - when Billy hit another boy. I never understand why version in London is so "brutal", when he smash his head against curtain, czech version with just "more powerful touch" is better for me. Electricity is almost same, again with reduced choreography, but works well. Same like return to Durham in soup kitchen, scene with received letter from ballet school and loosing the strike. At Mrs. Wilkinson, finally came the hug with Billy. Once We Were Kings impressive like usual, same like Billy's reply and saying goodbye to Michael. Then comes the Finale, which has again different choreography. No specific start with tap with solo Billy, which is pity for me - I liked the start with light directly on him and then others are joining. This is completely missing, after opening the curtain they are starting directly with tap of Michael and company (I didnt like how small role had Michael in original finale, here he is starting it with much more place), rest is mixture of original and new choreography (no tutu skirts for Dad and Tony) with final dance of Billy - not lifted up by hands at the end, but finishing as a star in the centre of podium with direct light to him.

And thats all. As a summary I must say that I am really happy I had opportunity to see this production and they did a really great job. And after the performance, I had same pathetic emotions like usually and it is still inside of me. So it is working perfectly, how it should be. There is also one more disadvantage - they are playing only few performances per month. I think that more performances should help everyone...
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thank you, PLuto, for your excellent, very detailed review. I'm very glad you took the time to post it here as a resident of the Czech Republic. It sounds like you can be very proud of your country's version of BETM.

As an aside, I want to thank PLuto for arranging to get the performance information we use in the Czech Republic Tracking thread. As in all productions of BETM, we attempt to list the performers for each show in those tracking threads who are in roles that have more than one actor cast in them and we've had 100% success in that regard with the Czech show.

viewtopic.php?f=618&t=7431&p=122364#p122364

In the case of the Czech Republic show, we get a complete report for every show, listing every performer who appears in that show. We get it a short time after the closing curtain of a show. Thanks for that PLuto!!
Real Geordie
Ballet Girl

Post by Real Geordie »

A very detailed and informative review - it must have taken you a long time to prepare ! As far as I can see the videos below have not been linked to any earlier posts, and I think they give a picture to complement the review given. Seems a good performance standard to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtBj_wA-hRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTvQ2Pjw6vc
PLuto
Audience Member

Post by PLuto »

Real Geordie wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:32 pm A very detailed and informative review - it must have taken you a long time to prepare ! As far as I can see the videos below have not been linked to any earlier posts, and I think they give a picture to complement the review given. Seems a good performance standard to me.
To say the truth, it didnt took so long time. I think I wrote it in 30-40 minutes. During the night immediatelly after return from performance, after 4 hours long way back home by car. As I was full of emotions, it was easy to write a summary. Next day I only read it once again and made small corrections and wrong typing.

Return to “Reviews - Czech Republic”