School Ties

A place to discuss changes, like stage layout, scenes, costume, music etc across the shows.
burtond
Michael

School Ties

Post by burtond »

It occurred to me last night that given the circumstances, it was likely that both Billy and Michael would attend the same school yet in the second act, when both guys are seen wearing school shirts and ties, each one is wearing a different school tie. Also, I beleive that each of the four Billy's wears a different school tie.
Wonder why this is - could it be that the Billy's use their own school tie???? :?:
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Muppet
Michael

Re: School Ties

Post by Muppet »

Oh, it is interesting how you mention this because it annoys me! In the film Billy & Michael clearly attend the same school. There is also only one high school in real life Easington as it is only a very small place!

This is definitely something the costume department could sort out relatively inexpensively!! One of the school ties is EXACTLY the same as my school. I have often been tempted to bring another one along and pass it backstage, so they have two the same! :D
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Hi Muppet,
Very interesting response - thank you.
However, tonight, believe it or not, Billy and Posh Boy were wearing the same school tie in the audition scene - somehow I cannot imagine that - Billy at a Surrey or Royal Berkshire Public School!!! :roll:
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
hammy
Ballet Girl

Post by hammy »

Good spot, i've never noticed this myself.
You could put the Michael and Billy wearing different ties down to the "house" system. I've known a few schools to have different ties within the school to distinguish between the different houses they are in. Some ties are very different and you'd think they weren't from the same school.
Regarding the different Billy ties maybe each of the Billy's is in a different house at school :D! What you're really watching is 5 different boys from the same school all named Billy Elliot with a Dad called Jackie, brother Tony and Dead mother who all take up ballet class...okay to far now!
With the Posh Boy and Billy tie i suspect that this was just a mistake or a time of despiration if a tie went missing. I guess it can be a case of "arghh the posh boy ties missing grab another one." *Posh boy walks on stage and someone in the wings notes "they're wearing the same tie."
D'oh!
A show so big that runs 8 times a week i guess mistakes are going to happen. Wonder how often Billy and Posh Boy wear the same tie?
Leon 2/05/07, Josh 28/12/07, Corey 16/06/08, Corey 12/07/08, Layton 28/08/08, Tanner 27/12/08, Fox 4/07/09, Tom 15/08/2009, Tom (5th Anniversary show) - 31/3/2010, Rhys 21/10/10
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Hi Hammy
Very humerous response - I'm sat here laughing as I compose a reply :lol: :lol:
The main thing is that it really doesn't bother me in the least about which ties the boys wear. It is just an observation I suppose to demonstrate that I am bessotted by the show and every little last detail of it.
The show is so fabulous everyone in the cast could come on wearing the same tie and I couldn't give a hoot. Whats more important to me is the pure entertainment value and the fact that I am on a high every time I leave the Theatre.
Mistakes will always happen but are they really that important? No ;)
hammy
Ballet Girl

Post by hammy »

I know exactly what you mean.
It's funny when you sit there and realise something isn't quite right but everyone around you seems to not notice even when it seems so obvious to you. It doesn't affect the show in anyway and if anything makes it that little bit different for you. It also shows that they can make pretty big mistakes and yet most of the audience (i.e. first timers) would not notice.
Leon 2/05/07, Josh 28/12/07, Corey 16/06/08, Corey 12/07/08, Layton 28/08/08, Tanner 27/12/08, Fox 4/07/09, Tom 15/08/2009, Tom (5th Anniversary show) - 31/3/2010, Rhys 21/10/10
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

I always notice the difference in the ties...it irritates me and needs to be sorted out!! lol :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Steamboy
Tall Boy

Post by Steamboy »

Any chance that their school merely requires them to wear 'a' tie, not a specfic pattern? Is school-specific ties that widespread of a dress code? I know the private boarding schools would include a tie fabric as part of the uniform, but do all the public schools do so as well?

Just a couple questions from one who grew up in the States, in a time and place where only alcohol-themed t-shirts and short-shorts were banned. Rare was the child who wore a tie, much less a suit coat (with the possible exception of picture day).
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Wow...to be honest even 60+ timers never noticed that(at least not this one)... :lol:

Steven
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Steamboy wrote:Any chance that their school merely requires them to wear 'a' tie, not a specfic pattern? Is school-specific ties that widespread of a dress code? I know the private boarding schools would include a tie fabric as part of the uniform, but do all the public schools do so as well?

Just a couple questions from one who grew up in the States, in a time and place where only alcohol-themed t-shirts and short-shorts were banned. Rare was the child who wore a tie, much less a suit coat (with the possible exception of picture day).
Hi Steamboy,

My response to your post would be that there are ordinary ties and there are school ties - school ties are of a particular design and often quite different to the style of a normal tie. Most school ties that I have come across have the typical diagonal stripe as part of their design and are such un-cool items that you would only wear them as part of a uniform.

Return to “Topics on Show: Changes/Crews (lighting, sound)/Differences etc”