The Lion King

Chat about other shows here
Zimn
Audience Member

Re: The Lion King

Post by Zimn »

It’s a good show - the costumes are amazing. Some of the visual effects are very unique. I was a bit disappointed, though, by the shortened versions of some of the classic Lion King songs. And I thought a few of the new songs were only so-so. Not trying to be overcritical - but I think my expectations were just a bit too high after seeing Oliver and Billy Elliot on the West End first.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Re: The Lion King

Post by Deanfan5 »

Today was my first visit and the matinee was 'full house'. The effects and choreography are frankly awesome but having said that I felt that I was sitting through a predictable 'morality play' with the inevitable message that good ultimately triumphs over evil. The hero also inevitably falls in love with the heroine and we presume that everyone lived happily ever after at Pride Rock once those nasty hyenas had been given their marching orders. Actually it was the menace of the hyenas and the circling vultures that provided the effective balance to the sweetness that tended to overpower the senses at times. Perhaps it was also the pantomime element that I struggled to come to terms with. Scar the wicked uncle who got roundly booed at the end as any pantomime villain would. I wish the menace that he showed in Act 1 had continued as it all felt very soft when he folded like a pack of cards at the return of young Simba.
Like all good pantos you have the juxtaposition of seriousness and humour. Zazu the court jester toucan I found frankly irritating after awhile but Ed and Pumba provided all the risque innuendoes that the many children in the audience loved.
Musically this is a lovely musical that transported me in mind to the Serengeti. Stand out singing throughout from the amazing Brown Lindiwe Mkhize. David Massey the assistant conductor certainly gets about. :o It was nice however to hear 'Endless night' and'Circle of love' again. it reminded one that Elton is a supreme tunesmith.
The child Young Simba was very very precocious and appealed to all the children there while Young Nala was much more demure.
No standing ovation at the end although lots of applause. Maybe the show does not have the ultimate inspirational feel that 'Billy' has.
On balance I enjoyed the show. It was an experience that is part of my theatre education. Will I go back and see 'The Lion King' again? I am not sure. I think I will have to sleep on that one.

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”