The Mikado

Chat about other shows here
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

The Mikado

Post by Deanfan5 »

For 9 performance only a 25th anniversary revival of Jonathan Millers Production with the ENO at the London Coliseum. Starring Alfie Boe as Nanki-Poo and Richard Suart as Ko-Ko the Lord High Executioner.
One of the best loved Gilbert and Sullivan Operettas certainly for me came up trumps when I saw it last night. Probably one of the best nights Theatre I have ever experienced. Ok the setting is Japan but the Miller take is to set the whole thing in white dresses and outfits and a white stage reminiscent of an English seaside posh hotel in the 1930s. A real send up of English society albeit set in Japan. Great singing by Alfie Boe (Tenor) and Richard Suart has made a history of the 'little lists' Of Ko-Ko which he regularly updates and has turned into a book. Last night some of those who 'would not be missed' were: Wayne Rooney, grunting female tennis players, assorted dictators from the Middle East, John Galliano ( he of the Dior split this week), the boss of Ryan Air, and Sylvio Berlusconi! How up to date can you get? Would W. S. Gilbert have turned in his grave? I very much doubt it.He would have laughed with us.
Overall a fantastic show and even for me up in the gods in the Balcony ( higher than Grand Circle at VP) you could see and hear everthing and there was even a monitor running the words visually in case you missed them.
I went to a 'discussion' before hand with cast and crew and learnt that the wigs are mainly from human hair and take 2 weeks to create. William Allenby who played Pish-Tush even encouraged us to sing as a chorus. Certainly different from Billy!!
All in all a memorable evening.
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Re: The Mikado

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

Deanfan5 wrote:For 9 performance only a 25th anniversary revival of Jonathan Millers Production with the ENO at the London Coliseum. Starring Alfie Boe as Nanki-Poo and Richard Suart as Ko-Ko the Lord High Executioner.
One of the best loved Gilbert and Sullivan Operettas certainly for me came up trumps when I saw it last night. Probably one of the best nights Theatre I have ever experienced. Ok the setting is Japan but the Miller take is to set the whole thing in white dresses and outfits and a white stage reminiscent of an English seaside posh hotel in the 1930s. A real send up of English society albeit set in Japan. Great singing by Alfie Boe (Tenor) and Richard Suart has made a history of the 'little lists' Of Ko-Ko which he regularly updates and has turned into a book. Last night some of those who 'would not be missed' were: Wayne Rooney, grunting female tennis players, assorted dictators from the Middle East, John Galliano ( he of the Dior split this week), the boss of Ryan Air, and Sylvio Berlusconi! How up to date can you get? Would W. S. Gilbert have turned in his grave? I very much doubt it.He would have laughed with us.
Overall a fantastic show and even for me up in the gods in the Balcony ( higher than Grand Circle at VP) you could see and hear everthing and there was even a monitor running the words visually in case you missed them.
I went to a 'discussion' before hand with cast and crew and learnt that the wigs are mainly from human hair and take 2 weeks to create. William Allenby who played Pish-Tush even encouraged us to sing as a chorus. Certainly different from Billy!!
All in all a memorable evening.

I did not see that production, but saw Richard Stuart as KoKo in January in the UK Tour with Alistair Mcgowen as the Mikado. (and it sounds like the same 'little list', was brilliant :D) My godfather was Nanki-Poo :) Love G&S and seeing Pirates of Penzance with McGowen as the Pirate King next week
x

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”