"Why Americans beat the British at musicals"

Chat about other shows here
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

"Why Americans beat the British at musicals"

Post by ERinVA »

This blog from David Cote, TimeOut NY theatre critic, posted by guardian.co.uk, takes a rather jingoistic American stance on the state of musicals in the West End. But he loves BETM. ;) :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/theatre ... d-broadway
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Todd
Dad

Re: "Why Americans beat the British at musicals"

Post by Todd »

Not quite sure I see the point of his article. He apparently doesn't care for Andrew Lloyd Weber (specifically "Phantom of the Opera") but is a big fan of Stephen Sondheim. But then he admits that the golden age of Broadway was over 50 years ago. Not sure if that's a great way to prove the point he's trying to make. . . .that America does musicals better than Britain.

Personally, my favorite musicals are "Billy Elliot," "Oliver," and most anything by Stephen Schwartz (except, surprisingly, "Wicked" . . . .but I love "Godspell," "Pippin," and "Children of Eden"). I think it comes down to personal taste. I know many people would pick "Lion King," "Wicked," and "Le Mis" although none of those would make my Top 10. Not sure if where they come from - America or Britain - makes much of a difference.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Personally, I think Britain does musicals FAR BETTER than the Americans! No offence to our friends across the pond. I love Americans, I just find some of the storylines a bit uninspiring and weak. Examples include: 'Drowsy Chaperone', 'Wicked', 'Rent', 'Spring Awakening', 'Hair', 'Sweet Charity'.....yes - popular, but not in the same league as 'Oliver!', 'Phantom of the Opera', 'Billy Elliot', 'Blood Brothers', 'Sunset Boulevard', 'We Will Rock You'.....oh the list could go on!!

I must say that the Mackintosh collaboration with the French 'Boublil & Schonberg' takes some beating too.....'Les Miserables', 'Miss Saigon'......
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

Muppet wrote:Personally, I think Britain does musicals FAR BETTER than the Americans! No offence to our friends across the pond. I love Americans, I just find some of the storylines a bit uninspiring and weak. Examples include: 'Drowsy Chaperone', 'Wicked', 'Rent', 'Spring Awakening', 'Hair', 'Sweet Charity'.....yes - popular, but not in the same league as 'Oliver!', 'Phantom of the Opera', 'Billy Elliot', 'Blood Brothers', 'Sunset Boulevard', 'We Will Rock You'.....oh the list could go on!!

I must say that the Mackintosh collaboration with the French 'Boublil & Schonberg' takes some beating too.....'Les Miserables', 'Miss Saigon'......

You cannot beat the old American ones though...West Side Story, Guys and Dolls, Rodgers and Hammerstein, etc etc etc, the classics, i reckon they beat any! And the Americans have Sondheim, who in my opinion is the greatest musical theatre composer ever

And i'm English, therefore totally unbiased :)

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”