Flying Dutchfan greets all of you!

A place for new members to introduce themselves
FlyingDutchfan
Small Boy

Flying Dutchfan greets all of you!

Post by FlyingDutchfan »

Dear fellow-addicts, may I introduce myself?

London’s theatreland stole my heart way back in the seventies, resulting in numerous performance-focussed trips since then. Being rather omnivorous in those early days as far as my category-wise preferences were concerned, a typical half-term London week could easily consist of ten shows jumping from comedies to operas and from plays to musicals. The latter category however did prove most addictive.

Without initially meaning to do so, over the years I did develop the pretty insane habit of adopting my own personal favourite musical of the decade and a London trip would never be complete without at least one stop at that particular show. Of course, predictable feelings of desolation were my part after my first love named Evita closed down in 1986.The Prince Edward would never be the same, though Chess did make quite a few admirable attempts to conquer my heart at that semi-holy site. A period of forlornness came to an abrupt end when I fell under the spell of Jonathan Pryce’s engineer, and for nearly a decade both he and his successors could effortlessly draw me time and again to the Theatre Royal Drury Lane to enjoy Miss Saigon. Predictively, the void left behind late 1999 (after this second addiction had to come to its end) was at least of the same magnitude as the previous one.

My very own ‘Millennium problem’ didn’t turn out to be of any digital nature at all, but for quite some years I simply didn’t run into any show with the potential to capturing me like my previous favourites. Gradually my London trips dwindled down, as well in frequency as in length. Recharging the batteries through a brief escape from my home country Holland to London (as I had so fondly experienced over the years), became scarce events even to the point of skipping some years altogether.

So, when I came over to London this January to do some end-of-sale shopping, I originally didn’t even intend to attend any show at all. However, old sentimentel feelings did cause me to make a detour through Leicester Square and it’s Theatre Booth (that’s to say: the one and only original one, now skillfully hidden and fenced of due to the Olympic’s fever). From all available options and by sheer coincidence I did purchase a BETM ticket. Unbelievable as it may sound now, I hadn't only been unaware of this show, but had also completely missed the screenplay earlier on!

That night saw me in stalls C21 of the VPT, fully ignorant and without any expectations whatsoever. Of course (as all you Billy fans could have predicted) the show did completely blow me away! For my lifetime and until that night I couldn’t have imagined attending any show for two subsequent nights, but rightfully I did find myself the following night in H13, happily congratulating myself for its ultimate angle from which to enjoy the Dream Ballet in a near perfect perspective. In hindsight, it’s truly incredible I have been losing this magnificent production for so many years, together with its fabulous performers, positive message and deep emotions. This January 21, saw me overnight exchanging my orphaned fan status into deep admiration for what’s without any doubt the very best stage production I have come across in over fourty years.

At the same time however, while raving about this show to the point of devotion, I also started worrying about the intensity of these unprecedented feelings the show triggered in me. How would I be able to explain to anybody I would return to London on March 3 seeing the very same show twice and, again, on May 4+5 seeing it thrice? In Michael words: ‘People would think you’re mental.....’. As you may understand, following my delayed conversion to BETM the next best thing that came my way was the discovery of this forum’s existence. These last few weeks I’ve been wading through loads of postings and what especially did struck me in them was the most positive toning and supporting attitude towards an extremely gifted and hardworking cast and crew. They indeed do earn everybody’s respect and support for making this miraculous dream come through so many times a week! Furthermore and looking into their contents: I am truly grateful for the insights and opinions already offered by all of you in the past. Nevertheless, various questions and considerations keep coming up in my mind. Hopefully, if you would allow me to bother you with them, to be posted here in due time.

For the moment, I would like to limit myself by expressing my gratitude to all of you for just being here. For uplifting me by confirming I’m not standing alone in my emotions regarding this ultimate gem of a musical. Thank you so much!

P.S. Since English isn’t my first language, please do forgive any mistakes or typos.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flying Dutchfan greets all of you!

Post by porschesrule »

Welcome to the forum, Flying Dutchfan! We're glad you found us.

Your story reads like the story of so many here that you can be assured you've found the right place to ask your questions and get feedback from others who completely understand your new addiction :)

I hope you'll post often and share your thoughts.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Welcome to the Forum Flying Dutchfan.

If you have any questions then ask away as some people on here are walking encyclopaedias.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
maria
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by maria »

Welcome aboard FlyingDutchfan and thank you for your delightful introduction! It was interesting and fun to read!

I hope you will find yourself right at home here on the forum with plenty of others who share your passion! Do feel free to ask any and all questions.

Enjoy the show and the forum!
maria
<- A new use for the Billy Bag!!!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Welcome to the forum, Flying Dutchfan. Glad you found the show and this forum. I hope you will enjoy it here.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
BILLYFAN
Debbie

Post by BILLYFAN »

Welcome to the forum flying dutchfan

Return to “New Members”