July 2011 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Re: July 2011 Reviews - London

Post by Billy Whiz »

Irrespective of whether he is number 26 or 27 thanks for the review Deanfan5.

It sounds like the VP have found another star.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks for the review of Adam's first show, Deanfan5. I can imagine the excitement that must have been going on around the theatre at 7.29pm :lol:
This Billy is a delight to watch and Forum members will be in for a real treat.
Can't wait :D

Pat
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Hi
A big thanks for that review Deanfan5, I was getting a bit worried that we were not gone to get a review for Adam's 1st Show, I'm looking forward to seeing him sometime.

Cheers Barry
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Wed 27th July

Adam, Joe, Emily S

George: Craig Armstrong
Big Davy: Spencer Cartwright

Well well. well. Adam's second performance was last night. I'm writing this in an Internet cafe as I couldn't wait until I get home tomorrow,

Seattle may be the home of Boeing and the new 787 Dreamliner will soon be soaring across the skies and landing at an airport near you but if you want to see the real Seattle Flyer you'll have to make the journey to the VPT. (walk, drive, run, swim, fly but you MUST, MUST, MUST)

Billy's early takeoff in Take Me Up gave us our first glimpse of Adam's poise and balance and was the fore-runner of what was to follow in a fabulous three hours of the best entertainment that money can buy.

I really enjoyed Adam's ballet (great arms) building up from about 60% throttle in Solidarity to 100% in what was a powerful, soaring and majestically danced Electricity. If he'd had wings he'd have taken off and landed 5,000 miles away in Boeing Field. Indeed, such were the final spins in Electricity I am inclined to the view that, had he not turned on reverse thrust, he'd have burrowed through the floor. I defy anyone not to be moved during this unbelievable display.

He was certainly at full throttle, too, for Angry Dance and, during Dream Ballet, the ATC as far away as Seatac must have had some unusual blips on their radar screens. The entire flight was conducted smoothly without the slightest semblance of turbulence.

As he approached the chair for the Letter I just knew by his eyes that we were in for an emotional few minutes. Not a dry eye in the house.

Adam's landing gear proved to be fully stable in his piano jump, Solidarity spins, Angry Dance, Dream Ballet and Electricity. These dances also proved that his engine power and reliability is far superior to that of the Rolls Royce equivalent.

We always expect great acting from 'wor Billys. Adam is no exception and I didn't detect even a modicum of an American accent in there. His diction was perfect and the dialect coach, as always, has done sterling work.

Adam also has his own way of doing things both in action and in words as you will see when you get there. (No spoilers here :D). Throughout the show he was so cool that I can't see him ever getting into a flap even if the set misbehaves.

The BMI (Billy Manufacturing Institute) has vays of finding new boys to take on this crazily demanding role. So, watch out all you boys of the world, they vill find you wherever you are. There is no hiding place. And they have found another one. His name is Adam Vesperman.

BTW, the new alternate Grandma (I think her name may be Gillian) was in situ last night.

The fantastic BETM cast were all in top form as usual and I hope that they enjoyed working with their new lead as much as we in the audience enjoyed watching them and him.

Pat
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Nice one, Pat. Thanks for the 'plane' review. ;)
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

Thanks patc for that thoroughly enjoyable review.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
dancingboy
Billy

Post by dancingboy »

Pat, excellent review about Adam and well done for being 'plane' spoken. However, don't think that you can run(a)way with the pun game and have your head in the clouds. I will be approaching this matter quite seriously. It is not a flight of fancy on my part. So watch this (aero)space and hopefully I can make a smooth touchdown with a review of my own in the not too distant future.

PS Good to see you again yesterday and wasn't it great to see Dean in such good form.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Thursday 28th evening show.
Ryan, Connor Kelly, Emily Williams.

This was my second show seeing Ryan perform and having read the former reviews of him I can certainly say that this Billy again lived up to expectations. Ryan brings an astonishing range of ability to the stage. Intuitive acting, very melodic singing, and exceptional dancing. The essence of Ryan's success is the naturalness and range of childhood emotions he brings to enhance our understanding of the highs and lows of Billy's aspirations. Cheek, fun, seriousness and sotto voce swearing all combine to transform his interpretation of Billy. I particularly warmed to the interaction with his brother in the party scene which showed that despite everything there was a real bond between them. Again the scenes with Michael show us best mates having great fun despite Billy have to come to terms with the idiosynchrasies of his mates leanings.
It is of course in dancing that Ryan really does put on for the audience a major tour de force. Possibly this was one of the best Angry Dances I can recall in the six years I have been visiting this show in London. Anguish, rage and shouting to perfection. Even the bricks were dispensed with as Billy hurled himself with such force at the riot shields. Ryan is the master of the Street Electricity combining as he does; energy, speed, athleticism and street dancing at its very best. The standing ovation throughout the house was richly deserved. I could not help being reminded of Bobby Vee and 'rubber ball' (goodness that dates me :oops:) as I watched Ryan bounce his way through this routine last night. Totally awesome.
Ryan was of course aided by another stella performance by Connor at his cheeky and confrontational best.
A footnote reference to the puppets in the party. No they do not just link arms now but kick the proverbial out of each other. Perhaps a real reminder that the union in trade unionism does not always come as amicably as some would imagine.
Ryan however must have my last comment. He deserved all the plaudits from the audience last night who went hope enthused and captivated by another outstanding performance from this very engaging and outstanding Billy.
paul30003
Ballet Girl

Post by paul30003 »

Just a quick review of Small boy on 30th July

Not sure who was playing small boy at this performance but maybe that can be cleared up on the tracking thread. I started writing this on the tracking thread and realized that is was starting to become a review, as short as it is; so thats why I'm writing it. Not really been much of a person to write up a review, but I'm starting to notice and remember the smaller details of the show so maybe this will be my first review of many.

I think small boy played a fantastic part and he was singing in most ensembles he was in.
He was singing along with Billy (Dean-Charles) in The Stars look down, He even sung a part of Solidarity, I could clearly see him singing "When you were on the picket line we went and f******* your missus." :lol: Bit naughty really but funny all the same.

His Jesssuuuus, Jesssuuuus, Jesssuuus part then Seeya George followed by "Wa******" was so funny.

His performance was very confident by a lad of his age, maybe he will follow in the footsteps of other Billys who have started out as small boy?
“The dance is over, the applause subsided

but the joy and feeling will stay with you forever.”

W. M. Tory

Return to “Reviews - London”