October 2012 reviews

Reviews of the show
angelenroute
Billy

Re: October 2012 reviews

Post by angelenroute »

Prop Master on North American Tour: "Oh shoot. Now where did I put that Older Billy???"
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Trilogies like Lord of the Rings or Sergio Leone's Dollars are impressive experiences especially since we can now watch them one after another on our 80” home screens in glorious High Definition and Dolby Digital Surround Sound. (or in the case of one Forum member his black and white telly with tinny speakers :D ;)). But nothing compares to a Billy “Trilogy”. Nothing.

My only regret from my latest London trip is that I didn’t go over a day earlier because, by not doing so, by all accounts I missed out on a stunning Harris show on Tuesday evening. Hopefully, this will be rectified over the next week or so. If not I shall personally sue the Schedulisators/Schedulisatresses for deprivation.

But back to an unforgettable Wednesday evening where it all began. When I arrived at the theatre there was a massive crowd already in and the buzz of anticipation was mega. People just couldn’t wait for the show to start. Word had obviously spread that they were in for something really special at this now oasis called the VPT. The next three hours confirmed all that they had heard. As usual, Harrison took us through layers of varying emotions and thrilled us with stylish and spectacular dancing. The crowd were applauding everything. I heard clapping where no clapping has happened before. But in a sensible enjoyable way and not in the manner of the sometimes-Thursday-matinee “Happy Clapper” who likes the sound of his/her own hands leading the Pack and has no idea when clapping is inappropriate.

Both shows on Thursday were the same. HUGE MASSIVE BUZZING crowds before, during and after the shows. At the matinee it was Kaine’s turn to turn it on and he did so with style and panache. In Electricity he raised his hands gracefully high during the spins. I’m willing to bet that he could kick a coke can off his own head with ease. The evening show saw the classy Redmand blow yet another audience away with an incredible display of acting, singing and dancing plus a huge smiling "Thank You" to the audience at the end. The thanks was all ours.

Thomas did two of the three shows and brought the house down in Expressing with his own inimitable style inducing throat-destroying laughter. Thursday evening it was Joe (the last of the legendary Big Four) who was absolutely on fire with that impish smile yet tempering it all in the opposite direction with those emotional few moments of final curtain that breaks your heart.

The all-action Dayna (also twice) and super-cheeky Millie did the honours as Debbie. The same Ballet Girls and Tall Boy (Jude) were ever-present and, as always, provided fabulous entertainment and value-for-money.

Dream Ballets were performed majestically and gracefully with their respective Billys by James Butcher (2) and Sergio Giacomelli.

All three shows were greeted with mass standing ovations at the end. I can hardly remember the last time when members of the general audience beat the Forum members (and even Spencer) to their feet – in all three.

The performances of the child cast in this show are beyond explanation. You try to tell people about it but it is only when they have gone and seen it for themselves that they believe what you have been saying. After the matinee on Thursday a gang of us Forum members danced our way for a meal at a nearby restaurant. A slight exaggeration, maybe, as negotiating the Allington Thermopylae and the Pompeii-aftermath-lookalike known as Victoria Street is no longer conducive to walking yet alone dancing. Just as we were being shown to our seats, lo and behold, the young once-mere-mortals-now-Theatre-Gods came in after us. In an ideal world the entire restaurant would have stood, formed a guard of honour and clapped them all the way to their table. Instead you just sit quietly and gratefully devour your chips with the knowledge that you are in the presence of greatness.

From what we know at this stage the majority of the adult cast are staying on this November which can only be a good thing. They have taken the show to new heights on an ongoing basis and I expect more of the same over the next twelve months. A mouth-watering prospect.

I know we have to pay (mostly a pittance in our cases) to see this show but you have got to say a big thanks to all of the people who provide us with this stage phenomenon week in week out. The sheer enjoyment, pleasure and heart and soul uplifting nature of it places it in the category of Wonder-of-the-World. Tonight I shall raise my glass (of Volvic-with-a-touch-of-strawberry) to them all.

Pat
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

Go home Billy wrote: 
No further comments or reviews since Saturday!?! :o :roll:

Everyone must be stunned into silence after reading your brilliant contribution, Pat. :lol:
It is half term. Schools are out. Kids need entertainment. Parents busy!!!!!!!
MegaBillyfan
George

Post by MegaBillyfan »

Just back from London having seen 3 shows - and it grew better and better! I didn´t think that would be possible!
Monday eve: Kaine was a wonderful Billy - his ballet is fantastic! And Dayna is such a lovely Debbie!
Tuesday mat: Harris - I saw him in August and I must say he has done a great job: his Billy was fantastic too (for me even better than two months ago)!
Tuesday eve: Harrison blew me away. His Angry Dance was nearly Ryan`s (who - for me - is Master of AD!) and his Electricity - I can`t even describe (I haven`t got the words)! He was so outstanding, so I MUST come to London soon again! (It´s getting really expensive ;)
Once again: the more shows I see the more I want to see! These boys and also the rest of the cast are quite incredible. Pat`s review says it all much better ... so it is!
London: 27 shows (Ryan 2* - my first Billy, Dean, Kaine 4*, Adam, Redmand 4*, Harrison 3*, Harris 2*, Tade 3*, Ali 2*, Matteo, Ollie, Bradley, Nat, Euan - my last Billy)

I can´t really explain it, I haven´t got the words
It´s a feeling that you can´t control ...

Return to “Reviews - London”