Mary Poppins

Chat about other shows here
euphoria
Audience Member

Mary Poppins

Post by euphoria »

Has anyone seen it? Former Billy Ballet Girl Juliette Allen Angelo is starring as Jane Banks, I'm sure she's fantastic in it!!
angelenroute
Billy

Re: Mary Poppins

Post by angelenroute »

euphoria wrote:Has anyone seen it? Former Billy Ballet Girl Juliette Allen Angelo is starring as Jane Banks, I'm sure she's fantastic in it!!
Just looking around the Forum for this thread and finally found it, although surprised it's so small. =) I use the Audience Rewards program to earn points toward discounts on shows, and finally cashed some in this morning for Mary Poppins. I got two seats for $30 each for 500 points each in the program. Advertised as Orchestra or Front Mezz. but with no knowledge of where they would be, I took a blind leap and got 2 seats. I received an e-mail a while later (maybe an hour afterward) telling me I would have seats S1 and S3 in Orchestra. Not bad!!! =)

http://theater.disney.go.com/marypoppin ... op-up.html

So, euphoria, if you or someone else thinks to remind me (as there's a good chance I'll forget), I'll be happy to post a MINI review here once I see it (on Tuesday, March 8). :D

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Billy Fanatic
Small Boy

Post by Billy Fanatic »

angelenroute wrote:Just looking around the Forum for this thread and finally found it, although surprised it's so small. =)
Had I been a little more ambitious and had time I didn't, after my Billython last October I could had added a post or two, even possibly a review of this great show that I highly recommend. I saw it twice during that Billython and enjoyed it immensely both times.

All the performers are phenomenal including the kids playing Michael and Jane Banks (three sets of children rotate in the role.) There are many memorable songs; the beautifully done Feed the Birds, imaginatively staged Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and the energetic Step in Time with Bert doing some very impressive stunts are all alone well worth the price of admission.

The highly detailed sets are much more like a movie soundstage than typical theatrical sets. The Banks children's movable bedroom set is a must see wonder; in my opinion, even more so than Billy's. My first performance of Mary Poppins was the night before my first performance of Billy Elliot; I distinctly remember after my experience of the magical nanny I was somewhat disappointed in the dancing boy's sets. But throughout my Billython, the BETM did grow on me as they became more familiar and came to realize that BETM was deliberately going for a more Spartan and stark look than the movie like feel of the Mary Poppins sets.)

Billy Elliot the Musical is definitely by far my favorite Broadway show of all time but Mary Poppins is just as definitely a close second. I highly recommend seeing the antics on Cherry Tree Lane; you won't be disappointed and will be highly entertained. During my upcoming Billython March 23-28, I'll again twice (and possibly three times) be diverting from the Elliot clan on 45th Street to the Banks family on 42nd Street. I guess you can say that this Billython is also a Marython. That should indicate how much I like this show that, as with Billy Elliot the Musical, I'm willing and happy to see it over and over.
Billy Fanatic
"Normal not to be normal"

BROADWAY - 19:
Billy: Alex K. x3, Giuseppe x1, Jacob x2, Joseph x5, Julian x2, Myles x1, Peter x4, Tade x1
Michael: Cameron x7, Jack x5, Jake S. x2, Neil x5
Debbie: Georgi x5, Lilla x14
Small Boy: Alex D. x10, Seth x3, Zachary x6
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Ben x12, Giuseppe x1, Joseph x2, Julian x2, Myles x1, Tade x1

TOUR - 3
RICHMOND, VA:

Billy: Ben x1, Drew x1, Noah x1
Michael: Jake K. x1, Sam x2
Debbie: Samantha x3
Small Boy: Cal x3
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Jake K. x2, Sam x1
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

Set to close on march 3 to be replaced by Aladdin the musical (reportedly but not confirmed)

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/17 ... e-in-March
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

mrmikerocks wrote:Set to close on march 3 to be replaced by Aladdin the musical (reportedly but not confirmed)

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/17 ... e-in-March
2,619 performances. A good run.

The Tour continues through June 2nd.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

Thats a shame, it's quite a remarkable show. I really enjoyed it.
ActingDude17
Tall Boy

Post by ActingDude17 »

I would like to see it replaced by something other than a Disney show, but I give the cast and creatives many congrats on a successful run.
UK/Ireland Tour
Billy: Lewis Smallman
Michael: Elliot Stiff

2nd American Tour
Billy: Giuseppe Bausilio, Michael Dameski, Ty Forhan
Michael: Griffin Birney x2, Cameron Clifford
debbiefan
Tall Boy

Post by debbiefan »

anyone that lives near st. louis or goes to see shows at Muny theatre. Should go down there this summer to see a really good treat. They are performing Mary Poppins this summer. Also that she is going to Fly above the audience. But wait there more. The two kids that are playing Jane and Michael Banks are 2 of the people from the closing show of Mary Poppins. Elizabeth Teeter(who is from St. Louis and performed at the muny before) and Aidan Gemme who makes his debut at the Muny. Gl guys, hope it was as fun as the Broadway show. http://www.muny2.org/press_release/atta ... _Final.pdf
Billly ELliot
Denver: Lex as Billy Griffin as Michael and River as Tall Boy

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”