May 2013 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Westletonion
Miner

Re: May 2013 Reviews - London

Post by Westletonion »

The focus of these thoughts has to be with Ali since this was the first time I had seen him perform.

All I can say is -totally sensational! Ali demonstrates a most extraordinary confidence and his performance is simply stunning and mind blowing. He brings a uniqueness to the role with a very personal stamp on it filled with the most phenomenal energy. Watching his Angry Dance I felt quite exhausted at the interval! And the Electricity brings moves I have never seen before with a most unique style. It was the sole talking point between some of us as we left the theatre - scarcely being able to believe what we had just seen. You can also see that this young man is totally aware of his connection and rapport with the audience. Well done Ali - a magnificent performance. The audience simply loved what they saw.

Howard Crossley is becoming a firm favourite with his take on George and brings a kind of authenticity to the role as you can just imagine his being a boxing coach! He looks the part. Anna-Jane Casey continues to also be a major talking point as Mrs Wilkinson. She has the most extraordinary piercing eyes - very reminiscent of Sally Dexter of bygone times. The ballet dancer curtain scene doesn't yet seem to bring the laughs from the audience as previously and similarly the 'U turn tape man' has yet to garner any real responsive mirth when he takes the tape away.

Evergreen David Bardsley continues to delight as Dad and I am always delighted when Ann Emery is there on stage as Grandma.
Zach and Millie were full of life and mischief as Billy's peers and this group of ballet girls are some of the finest I have seen. An amazing evening's entertainment.
billyforlife
Tall Boy

Re: May 2013 Reviews - London

Post by billyforlife »

kport wrote:Thursday's matinee was simply stunning from start to end. I was lucky to be sat next to a very nice Australian university student on a semester abroad; she is a big, big Billy Fan, right back to the days of the Melbourne production when she was in high school. She shared my appreciation of this great cast; the nuances they have added; the indomitable Deka Walmsley; and Redmond Rance's extraordinary, stunning and inspiring performance.

I knew you would be a forum member!!! :lol: It was lovely to meet you as well!
I feel very privileged to have seen the incredible BETM company perform five times while in London. After three productions and almost five years of loving the show, I can safely say that Billy Elliot still moves and impresses me every time. Of course I have the forum to thank for keeping me up to date with the show over the years! I unfortunately don't have time to post a lot anymore or write reviews while travelling but I am trying to make time to occasionally post or at least lurk :)
"She must have been a very special woman..."
"No, she was just me mam."

Melbourne: Josh D, Josh WG
Broadway: Peter, Dayton
London: Harris, Redmand, Ali x3

Return to “Reviews - London”