The Cripple of Inishmaan

Chat about other shows here
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Cripple of Inishmaan

Post by ERinVA »

Daniel Radcliffe will do a 12-week limited run in "The Cripple of Inishmaan" at the Noel Coward Theatre, 8 June-31 August:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?f ... =1&theater
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
angelenroute
Billy

Re: The Cripple of Inishmaan

Post by angelenroute »

ERinVA wrote:Daniel Radcliffe will do a 12-week limited run in "The Cripple of Inishmaan" at the Noel Coward Theatre, 8 June-31 August:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?f ... =1&theater
He's playing "Billy" in London!!! :shock: :D
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Well, yes and no. 8-)
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Here is Ben Brantley's review of the show:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/ ... eater&_r=0

For those of you on the other side of the Atlantic who may not be aware, Ben Brantley's reviews in the New York Times are legendary, and they can make or break a Broadway show, so I would call this one a "make," which means we might get to see it on Broadway at some point.
Ellen

CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

This is one more step in Daniel's attempt to diversify so he doesn't stay type-cast as Harry Potter. I greatly enjoyed his performances in both "Equus" and "How to Succeed", despite his being ignored by the various awards. Let's hope this show does come to New York. It would be great to see him tackle a role like this particular "Billy".
:/
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

I saw the play last night. It is set on the island of Inishaan in 1934 and deals with many of the social issues that were prevelant in rural Ireland at the time. Those with mental and physical disabilities were subjected to merciless ridicule. The Church and alcohol in retrospect could be regarded as having been twin evils.

As it happens I am familiar with the accents of Co Kerry and Co Cork in the west of Ireland. This was helpful as the cast all speak with an authentic strong brogue which is a far cry from the dublinesque accent that is often used for 'stage irish' dialogue. The audience quickly picked up on the accents and followed the story closely, laughing at the many humourous scenes. Each character was played with powerful intensity and the whole cast acted as an ensemble. There were many moving moments as well as a lot of very funny lines.

Of course D Radcliffe was a star. He had obviously spent many many hours in rehearsal to adopt the physical disabilities of his character. His voice coach also deserves credit for her help in giving him the accent of the south west coast of ireland. His performance was an absolute tour de force and he was heartily cheered when he took his bows at the curtain calls. We saw a young actor developing stage skills to a degree that makes me think that he that is a great actor in the making.

This was the third production in the Michael Grandage season. All have many seats available at £10................................BETM please note ;)
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Doctors differ and patients die :D.
I have waited a long time to see this play but, having finally seen it tonight I'd have to say that it wasn't really worth the wait. Originally, I was excited to see it was going to play at the Noel Coward but when Mr. Radcliffe was cast as "Crippled Billy", my enthusiasm waned but, having seen some good reviews decided to see it anyway. Having not ever being a Harry Potter fan I was able to go with no Harry Potter baggage in tow.

Overall it didn't do much for me. The stage Irishness was all too much and there were long very boring supposedly comic exchanges between two of the characters that, wait for it, included the breaking of eggs on one of their heads, more than once. I will admit, though, that many in the audience laughed a lot more than I did so others must have thought it was funny.

There was one very moving scene early in the second half but the following scenes made no sense of it. I briefly discussed this on the way out with some other Irish people I was sat beside but they didn't understand it either. They were, similarly, not impressed overall.

I am finding it difficult to make up my mind about Mr. Radcliffe. That moving scene was very well performed but, overall, he was not convincing enough for me to play an Irish character in an Irish play. His accent was a good try but no more than that. There are many county by county variations of accents in Ireland and there was a mixture here not that that matters one iota. BTW, if I may be permitted to make one small correction in Jacob's review, the Aran islands are actually located on the edge of Galway Bay and not on the South West coast in case any of you may intend to plan a visit (which you should - you can travel by ferry or by air from the Galway area. If you go by air on Aer Arann's little planes they weigh you for balance and, if you're as lucky as I was when I went and are the same weight as the pilot, you get to sit beside him up front - there are three islands and Inishmaan is the middle one - that's my bit for Tourism done :D ).

For me, whatever good was in it was stolen by Irish comedian/actor Pat Shortt as "Johnnypateenmike". I loved every second he was on stage.

There was one other thing it had which gave me some great pleasure. The PC Brigade among the audience must have been squirming in their seats, LOL.

Pat
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

patc wrote:the Aran islands are actually located on the edge of Galway Bay and not on the South West coast in case any of you may intend to plan a visit (which you should - you can travel by ferry or by air from the Galway area. If you go by air on Aer Arann's little planes they weigh you for balance and, if you're as lucky as I was when I went and are the same weight as the pilot, you get to sit beside him up front - there are three islands and Inishmaan is the middle one - that's my bit for Tourism done :D ).
I've been to Ireland twice, but not back now since 1988 when I was 13! :shock: But I loved Galway. We stayed in Inchicore, Dublin where my dad is from for most of the 6 weeks, but spent a week in Galway in between too. It's where we decided that the rain in Leenane stays mostly in Leenane! Beautiful the day we left though. :roll:

As to the accents, it reminds me of another phrase my Irish family taught me (and this is interchangeable by county depending on the speaker): The best thing about Galway is the road to Dublin. :D

Thanks for the review, Pat!
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

angelenroute wrote:As to the accents, it reminds me of another phrase my Irish family taught me (and this is interchangeable by county depending on the speaker): The best thing about Galway is the road to Dublin.
LOL, Seán. However, I would not agree that this phrase applies to Galway. Beautiful City and County regardless of the weather (and the Aran Islands nearby as well).

Did you know that Inchicore is an Anglicised version of its real Gaelic name Inse Chaoire (Island of Sheep)?

BTW, Mr. Radcliffe had quite a time of it in Dublin this time last year when he somehow managed to get invited to the after-match celebration when the Dublin Minor Gaelic Football Team won the All-Ireland Final in Croke Park. This house was actually just down the road from me and I didn't get an invite but this has no bearing on my disenchantment with Mr. R in the play :D .
http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/harry-po ... all-party/

Pat

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”