First Date The Musical

Chat about other shows here
angelenroute
Billy

First Date The Musical

Post by angelenroute »

A couple of weeks ago, I was headed into the city for dinner with friends when I heard of a free theatre ticket that could be mine if I wanted it. I gladly accepted (and silently congratulated myself for packing my eyeglasses). While on the Long Island Rail Road train into the city, I called my partner and told him my night would be extended, then asked him to look up a review of First Date, the show I'd be seeing, as I'd heard nothing about it. He searched in Google and pulled up the New York Times review.

He started reading it to me:
Who doesn’t love a blind date? Of course, by this I mean, who does? I had one the other day, with the new Broadway musical “First Date.” I’d heard little about the show, and its authors were entirely unknown to me. Didn’t go so well. Does any of the following sound familiar? An instant lack of rapport; a growing aversion as the minutes pass; a mysterious sense that time has suddenly stopped; a desperate hope that the apocalypse will arrive, preferably right this minute. Magnify those feelings, set them to bland pop-rock music, and you’ll have some idea of the oodles of fun I didn’t have during my evening at “First Date,” the singing sitcom that opened on Thursday night at the Longacre Theater.
As my partner and I giggled about this travesty I was about to embark on, I stopped him and pleaded that he read no more. Oh well, I figured, it's a free ticket. Let me see how it goes. Worst case scenario, I make the most of it and enjoy some live entertainment in New York City.

Then the show started. Great start, I thought, so far so good. The show went on. Haha, very funny! Hilarious even! Oh my God, what show did the Times reviewer see? The show went on. Wow, wow, and wow! By the end of the show, I was floored. It is nothing short of the perfect musical! And I don't use a phrase like that lightly, either! It's all done in one, 105-minute act (an hour and 45 minutes) without intermission. The cast is comprised of just seven people, some of whom play several parts. The set is (mostly) just one scene, but it's so inventively complex and awesome that you fall in love with it more and more as the show goes on. And the songs are wonderful and funny! At times hilarious, with tears of laughter that won't stop, and at other times touching and sad, you are swept up in an absolutely perfect little musical.

Go now and buy your tickets! I seriously cannot recommend this show enough; you really must see it!*

Sean

*And take me with you?
jdmag44
Michael

Re: First Date The Musical

Post by jdmag44 »

HEY Sean

I take it you liked it!

There are about 10 videos on you tube I think they are about that show

Here is one

http://youtu.be/PYrY6Tf8mXs

Is this the one?
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Can't watch videos here at work, but just took a quick peek and yes, that is one of the show's advertisement videos.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

Um...see it quickly, it's Boxoffice is dreadfull. :(

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”