Macbeth

Chat about other shows here
michaelJ
Tall Boy

Macbeth

Post by michaelJ »

I saw Macbeth over the weekend. A few thoughts:
After reading some unfavorable reviews I was fully prepared to be disappointed. However, I enjoyed it, and the rest of the audience seemed to be pleased also. There was a rousing applause for the cast bows and I didn't hear any negative comments exiting the theater.
Ethan Hawke as Macbeth was bashed in more than one review. Some of the knocks on him were that he "mumbled" and gave a lackluster performance. I had no problem understanding him and found his performance to be solid. He brought an attitude to the role that I thought worked well.
The witches stole all the scenes that they were in.
The show was very visually appealing, as promised. The stage at the Beaumont Theater has a circular portion to it that extends into the seating which brings more people closer to the action. If you sit up front it practically puts you right in the middle of things.
Sam Poon had one scene. If you know the story of Macbeth you know Sam's fate several times a week in this show. He had several lines, delivered perfectly with the proper accent (and it wasn't Geordie!).

:)

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”