Site Admin
Site Admin

More Live Theatre on NBC To Come

Post by porschesrule »

angelenroute
Billy

Re: More Live Theatre on NBC To Come

Post by angelenroute »

Good to hear!!! Our Billy isn't quite mainstream, but I look forward to whatever shows make the cut! :)

Sean
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

joninfinity wrote:Hmm... That was an interesting take on it from Broadway.com. They describe this first venture, (Sound of Music) as an overwhelming success. It was hardly that, as most reviewers and viewers panned it. It wasn't bad, but fell far short of expectations. So there may be some serious 'PR' work going on with that article. In any event further ventures should be encouraged, and we can always hope for BETM, can't we...
I believe the "overwhelming success" label refers to ratings and the fact that as many people viewed Sound of Music on NBC that one night as attended all Broadway shows this past season. In TV, it's about ratings, not as much whether critics/viewers liked or disliked it. Good ratings result in advertising dollars -- the almighty bottom line.

It's because of the terrific rating the show got that apparently more will be done in the future.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I agree with porschesrule. The fact that so many people tuned in says A LOT. And with the right casting and effort overall, some wonderful results can ensue.

Personally, I'd also love to see a cooperative effort from a bunch of Broadway shows, all highlighting individual numbers. Yes, I know we have the Tony Awards already, but an awards-free, taped (maybe even taped at the individual theatres) show featuring a whole bunch of current shows performing a scene or number would be great. It'd highlight Broadway and be a really fun night for TV.

With awards show after awards show all year long (for TV, music, movies, music, Broadway, music, and music) the world would definitely enjoy a cooperative effort like that.

Sean
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I think it's great. I didn't really get a chance to see the Sound of Music yet as I was in Texas last week. But I am sure it was well done. I look forward to seeing it.
I think NBC went in to this basically knowing that if the ratings were good, they would be doing more.
I would love to see them do Thoroughly Modern Millie, but I'm sure it'll be great, whatever it is.
Regardless, this is a great way to introduce many people to musicals that otherwise may not be exposed to them.

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”