Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake

Chat about other shows here
jacob
Ballet Girl

Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake

Post by jacob »

It is now 18 years since Matthew Bourne unleashed his distinctive version of Swan Lake on the world of dance. Indeed it is some years since I first saw it in the West End. What a delight for me then, to catch an early show on the current UK tour at Curve in Leicester. This is one of my favourite theatres (the clue is in the title) and there was a near capacity audience yesterday afternoon. Particularly pleasing was the presence of several large school parties which I may say included lots of boys! Curve is an egalitarian sort of theatre with a large cafe, a cafe to which the cast repair after the show. Jonathan Olivier who played The Swan was happy to pose with school kids for photos and to sign autographs as did many other members of the smiling cast. Rather different from our lovely Sadlers Wells where the intelligentsia of Islington have so often 'seen it all before.'

The Prince was played by Simon Williams at this performance and I believe that this role and that of The Swan currently rotates between three male dancers to include Sam Archer who can play either one. The Production is definitely not a ballet. Rather, Matthew B describes it as contemporary dance/theatre. I was especially interested in the way Williams played The Prince as this is the role that Liam will share when he joins the cast in January. It is a demanding part as the character is on stage virtually all the time. The role calls for a range of acting skills as well as lots of varied dance moves. The Prince displays emotions that range from happiness to despair, from love to anger. Yesterday, I and all the audience were very moved by his performance. I was interested to see that Liam's photograph in costume was in the programme alongside Bourne's biography.

This Swan Lake is spellbinding.The costumes, the scenery (both by Lez Brotherson) and the lighting (Rick Fisher) are visually brilliant. There are some hilariously funny scenes too. I particularly enjoyed the spoof 'ballet' scene with its caricature dancers and double entendres. All in all, this is a show that I am sure that the Billys and Michaels would enjoy.

One thing for certain, when Liam joins the cast......................................................he will need a serious haircut :lol:
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
rob_hanson1979
George

Re: Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I've always wanted to see it, but it hasn't come to North America since I've known about it.
I know its out on blu ray, but I've been waiting for it to come down in price lol. I don't want to pay $35 for it. Ahhh one day!
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

In this CNN article, Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake gets a nice mention, as well as Ivan Putrov's Men in Motion, and of course Billy Elliot the Musical.

"People might think of beautiful ballerinas on pointe shoes and in tutus but dance in general, at least in Britain, is the second most popular activity in schools after football -- so it is not true that men don't dance."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/10/showbiz/i ... et-pointe/

Can the same be said about American schools?
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

This October, Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake makes a triumphant return to The Regent Theatre, Melbourne.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/sta ... 35txf.html

http://swanlaketour.com/melbourne
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

rob_hanson1979 wrote:I've always wanted to see it, but it hasn't come to North America since I've known about it.
I know its out on blu ray, but I've been waiting for it to come down in price lol. I don't want to pay $35 for it. Ahhh one day!
if you go to youtube and select matthew bourne swan lake you will find a ton of videos of the show Very emotional still seeing it again for the umpeenth time in many years

Dorien Grey via Google+5 months ago

I've just found out that the entire production of Matthew Bourne's amazing "Swan Lake"...for me, the most beautiful and heartbreaking theatrical production I've ever seen (and I saw it 10 times) ...is available in two parts on YouTube. I can't imagine anyone with an ounce of romanticism in their souls being able to watch it without falling in love with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4LDNlc_AQI
andrewcraig
Tony

Post by andrewcraig »

rob hanson1979 did you follow the link I gave you to Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake. Beautiful recording still takes my breath away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4LDNlc_AQI
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Adding this review, which I already posted in Liam Mower's thread, to this one as well:

Today I saw the matinee performance of "Swan Lake" in High Wycombe, and upon arrival at the theatre, I was very excited to see Liam's name on the cast board as the Prince for the afternoon's performance.

Oh.My.Goodness!!!! He was absolutely stunning!

The pairing of Liam as the Prince with Chris Trenfield as the Swan/Stranger was a match made in Dance Heaven. Trenfield was absolutely magnificent in the role that Adam Cooper created--a commanding presence on the stage. And the chemistry between Liam's oedipally confused, vulnerable, and emotionally fragile Prince and Trenfield's Swan was a privilege to behold! Of course, I already knew what an exceptional dancer Liam is, but I found myself completely astonished by his acting. I really do not have adequate words to describe the live experience. I had seen the 3D broadcast of "Swan Lake" at my local cinema about a year ago, with Dominic North dancing the Prince, and loved it, but I have to say it paled in comparison to seeing the production live at the Wycombe Swan Theatre this afternoon.

After the show, I waited at the stage door for Liam to come out. It was lovely to be able to thank him for his performance and get a photo with him. In short, I had a fantastic, memorable day!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”