BILLY YOUTH THEATRE 2011 Gala Reviews

Reviews of the show
janice
Audience Member

Re: BILLY YOUTH THEATRE 2011 Gala Reviews

Post by janice »

Westletonion wrote::D Thank you to the previous reviewers -the atmosphere had to be experienced to be believed on this really quite magical occasion. The work, energy and organisation put into this production was little short of phenomenal. Lee Hall, who was present, was so justifiably proud of this culmination of the Billy Youth Theatre 2011. For me one of the most truly outstanding pieces was Swan Lake performed by two amazing young lads from Golden Ratio, Reading, namely Lewis Cooke and Dominic McAinsh. They were sufficiently accomplished to have graced any West End stage with merit. A thoroughly enjoyable evening - 1500 people went away having experienced a real festival occasion. Everyone involved with this production deserves the highest of accolades.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks everybody for the reviews and links. It seems like it was a magical evening.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

Yes, it was an amazing evening with some brilliant performances by all the young cast in their various groups.

Highlights for me included the girl who played Mrs Wilkinson in Shine. She was so good that if she had walked out on stage on Monday evening to play Mrs Wilkinson no-one would have batted an eyelid!

There were fascinating arrangements of Angry Dance, and especially Dream Ballet. I wish the latter could have been recorded as it was such an eye opener with three very different scenes incorporated into the piece! Interestingly, the version performed of He Could be a Star was very similar to the Broadway version and very effective.

All the performers gave their very best, some 400 or so of them, and at the end they came and filled the aisles in both the stalls and Dress Circle. A truly magical spectacle!
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

A crowd of kids trying to put on a West End Show…on a West End stage. Yeh, right.

Step forward great-hearted and talented people like Nick Evans and Chris Hatt (MD) plus the many dedicated, creative and innovative people who run theatre for kids all over the country. Add the final ingredients, the talented kids, and what do you get? PURE MAGIC. For this was one of THE great nights at the “Palace of Dreams” where, once again, dreams came true but this time for hundreds of wonderful youngsters who acted, danced and sang their hearts out and a magnificent audience responded with great and consistent enthusiasm. I would hated to have missed this.

One of the most interesting things about this Gala performance was the creative manner in which many of the scenes were done bearing in mind the absence of the professional set in its various moving forms. I’d go so far as to say that the Company, who, rightly, have no problem changing things for the better where deemed necessary, might take a look at some of them and consider embodying the ideas in the show. There was certainly food for thought there.

I’m not going to single out any of the individual names or Groups. Each, every and all of them contributed to this night of nights. The icing on this particular cake was the "guest appearance" of the current ‘wor Billys and Connor Lawson at the beginning and end and what a pleasure it was to hear them speaking live in their own voices for once :D .

The final rendition of Electricity by all the Billys with all the young cast standing in the aisles and the entire audience on its feet was as great and emotional a moment as I have experienced at the theatre.

I leave my last comment for Lee Hall. What this man has done for the young people of the land (and the world for that matter) is incalculable.

......................................................................THANKS........................................................

Pat
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Thanks to all for the great reviews of the Gala and, indeed, for all the productions of BE Youth Theatre throughout the year.
patc wrote:I leave my last comment for Lee Hall. What this man has done for the young people of the land (and the world for that matter) is incalculable.
I couldn't agree with that comment more, patc. Lee Hall had a stroke of genius (another one? :p) when he created the BE Youth Theatre program and it has done a wonderful job of providing so many young people the opportunity to become involved in this great show.

I've read somewhere (can't find the reference) that, as part of his closing remarks after the Gala, Lee alluded to the fact that the program could spread to the US. I only hope that's true.
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

Post by Born to Boogie »

All I can do is to agree with what other Forum members have said regarding the Gala Performance. It was a wonderful celebration of all that is good about Billy Elliot and Youth Musical Theatre in the wider context. I know that all of the groups and individual performers value a great deal the opportunities which BYT has offered them. I think that Billy London also pulled out all the stops over the Gala weekend to support and welcome the different groups and their supporters. I don't intend to single out individual performers or groups again in this post but just to say that I am pleased other posters have commented so favourably on segments performed by those who I have promoted previously after having seen them in action in either their own production or in one of the four Regional showcases.

My understanding was that the licence for groups to perform BYT expired on 10th July, but I'm going 'Down to Margate' (as Chas and Dave sang once upon a time) to see the 'Stage Door' theatre company's production this evening. They performed some time ago at the Milton Keynes Regional Showcase.
Remi
Small Boy

Post by Remi »

Fantastic Flickr gallery of this year's BYT http://www.flickr.com/photos/billyellio ... 428245107/
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

Post by Born to Boogie »

Many thanks for sharing the link. These are outstanding. Well found and thanks again.

Return to “Reviews - London”