April 2011 Reviews - NYC

dongringo
Debbie

Re: April 2011 Reviews - NYC

Post by dongringo »

Very interesting review shimmyshimmy. Thanks!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

shimmyshimmy wrote:
The cast:

Tuesday: Jacob/Neil

Wednesday: Joseph/Cameron

Thursday: Alex/Neil

Seats:

Yes I'm oversized, but NY's seats were decidedly undersized.

Born To Boogie:

A lot of little differences between productions. Tommie's a great Mr. B as are the two in Toronto that have shared the role in the shows I've been to. Tommie joined us for a bit after Wed and Thurs shows as he's friends with Uncle Dave. The skipping rope totally tied Jacob in knots on Tuesday. I understand that many would just as soon see the rope disappear in the routine. But I like it when everyone on stage is skipping and Billy is showing off. I was surprised that Jacob didn't jump from the piano. Joseph did a very simple jump with no flip and Alex didn't jump. I'm told this originated from Alex having an accident (I'll have to look back. I did notice he had bandages around both knees.) I suspect Joseph would do a triple flip lutz if they'd let him. In Toronto, there's a pretty dramatic jump. I wonder what they do on The Tour.

Angry Dance:

I didn't talk a lot about my reaction to Broadway's Angry Dance. But I wasn't getting a lot of agreement with my opinion when I did.

When I saw Jacob doing it on Tuesday, my initial reaction was that something was wrong and I wasn't sure if it was the production, or Jacob. On Wed. I concluded it wasn't Jacob. It's just done differently in New York. It's still really good, but I thought it took someone with the stoicism and moves of Alex to really pull it off. My problem essentially is that the routine slows in the middle. I think I can see what they're doing. Billy's searching for a way out. But for me, it loses momentum. In Toronto, people tend to be left breathless, barely able to stand for intermission. I'm thinking that Cesar has provided such a high bar on that routine with his fiery determination impeccable technique, that others are emulating him. So I'm giving a definite thumbs up to Toronto, on that routine.

The Billys:

Jacob:

Great singing and really enjoyable. Dear Billy, Dream ballet and Electricity were highlights. I don't expect I'll get to see him again.

Joseph:

Well OK, I'll go a little bit over the top. The US Olympic Hockey team had the Miracle on Ice and Sully Sullenburger had the Miracle On The Hudson. I'm gonna call this kid the Miracle on Broadway, cause at 12 years and 2 months old, I can't imagine what he could be like 2 years from now, if he keeps doing that role. I wonder if he'll be able to keep pouring himself into each performance the way he does.

Alex:

I'm so glad I got to see him. What a fantastic dancer. I'm told that his injury has affected his ability to perform the dramatic acrobatics that he once did.

Overall Rating For Both Productions:

Well I could rank each aspect on a scale of 10 for technical merit and artistic impression, but I think I'll just call it a tie. Two great productions.

What's the line they say in NY? FINISH!

Alan
Thanks for the great review Alan. Just a couple of comments to add :lol: :D

Seats in NY feel like they were made for midgets :lol: I am only 6' 190lb and my knees and back hurt after a show. Although somehow I seemed to be able to make it through 85 :oops: of them. The knee braces have been a permanent piece of equipment for Alex since his first show back from injury. Alex has never done the piano jump since his return. Jacob from day one has never done a piano jump(I understand that this is a decision that the boys make along with the creative staff). the last Billy on B-way who was doing a full flip and jump was Michael Dameski. As for Angry Dance you needed to see Trent Kowalik :D or more recently the Ozzies(Michael or Dayton)

Sam
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

shimmyshimmy wrote: Pre-Audition Routine:

I though Toronto was a bit over the top, but Broadway was more so. I found posh dad's grimacing to be too much for too long
Glad to hear someone else mention this. Not sure why the posh dads have felt the need to make it more and more over the top - with the grimacing, loud laughter, etc. I thought the way it was performed in London by Francis Maston - among others - was the most effective . . .. just delivering the lines in a very posh accent without all the extra histrionics, which always got a big laugh. Guess I prefer the "less is more" approach in this scene.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

shimmyshimmy wrote: Born To Boogie:

In Toronto, there's a pretty dramatic jump. I wonder what they do on The Tour.

Alan
On the Tour they do a flip off the piano while Mr B is holding the piano down so it doesn't move. Love that part.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

CJ-Rochester wrote: The same is true during the scene when the scabs are boarding the Skylark and the crowds are picketing. Just watch the emotions on Ben's face. Ben is a true example of an old theater motto that "there are no small parts".
Ahh, the Skylark. I've wondered about these small details for some time - which of those British cultural references remain in the other (than London) versions of the show? I guess I must be around Lee Hall's age so we watched the same tv shows as kids.

Skylark

Listen to 1:23 in for the immortal line

Does the line "It's not Camberwick F'ing Green" remain in the other versions of the show just before Tony gets punched by dad?

Camberwick Green
MRS WILKINSON IS A RIGHT COW!
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for the Skylark link. That's great! :D
Does the line "It's not Camberwick F'ing Green" remain in the other versions of the show just before Tony gets punched by dad?
No, that got changed to "This isn't f**ing Disneyland, man, dad."

They changed some things, but kept others so that the show wouldn't lose its British character. It's interesting to note which ones got changed, and which did not.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

ERinVA wrote: No, that got changed to "This isn't f**ing Disneyland, man, dad."

They changed some things, but kept others so that the show wouldn't lose its British character. It's interesting to note which ones got changed, and which did not.
Thanks for the update - personally I hated the Noah thing but 'All aboard the Skylark' was an every day saying when I was a kid. I think I still use it today - and that was before I got in to BETM. Everybody said it when you were getting ready to start a trip to somewhere, especially by bus.
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

shimmyshimmy wrote:In the boxing scene, George drags Michael across the stage by the foot, in Toronto. In NY, he lifts him up and carries him. In Toronto, George says "You are Cassius Clay and you are Mohammed Ali." I have no idea why. It doesn't get a laugh. The audience (including me) doesn't get it.
I think its supposed to funny because Cassius Clay and Mohammed Ali are the same person.
Yorkie
Miner

Post by Yorkie »

mrmikerocks wrote:
shimmyshimmy wrote:In the boxing scene, George drags Michael across the stage by the foot, in Toronto. In NY, he lifts him up and carries him. In Toronto, George says "You are Cassius Clay and you are Mohammed Ali." I have no idea why. It doesn't get a laugh. The audience (including me) doesn't get it.
I think its supposed to funny because Cassius Clay and Mohammed Ali are the same person.
Yeah, that gets some laughs in London but not everybody gets it for sure.
mrmikerocks
Miner

Post by mrmikerocks »

shimmyshimmy wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
Yeah, that gets some laughs in London but not everybody gets it for sure.
You mean that we're supposed to think that George doesn't know that they're the same person? It never occurred to me to think that :roll:
That's how interpreted it when i saw it on tour in Minneapolis.

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”