April 2009 - US Reviews

Dancer
Ballet Girl

Re: April 2009

Post by Dancer »

A little late with my reviews but here goes! I was really pleased to see all three original Broadway Billys. Here is the main cast for each of the shows:

Tuesday 21 April Kiril, Frank, Keean, Mitchell and Erin
Wednesday matinee 22 April David, Keean, Tommy, Matthew and Erin
Wednesday evening 22April Trent, Frank, Keean, Mitchell and Erin
Thursday 23 April David, Frank, Keean, Matthew and Erin

David Bologna was on holiday so sadly I didn’t see him, but at least I did get to see Tommy as Tall/Posh Boy for one show, even though I didn't catch him as Billy! Greg Jbara, Santino Fontana, Carole Shelley and Joel Hatch were Dad, Tony, Grandma and George in all four shows, Haydn Gwynne was Mrs Wilkinson in all apart from Wednesday matinee when the role was played by Leah Hocking who is normally Dead Mum, and Blake Hammond was Mr Braithwaite on Tuesday and Wednesday, with Jamie Torcellini playing the part on Thursday.

I can only say that these were four of the most amazing Billy shows I have ever seen. Most scenes were in some way different to the London production whether it was the choreography, musical arrangements, spoken word or the songs themselves. I think only four pieces hadn’t changed: Grandma’s Song, The Letter, Dream Ballet and Electricity. I thought that most of the changes worked well, and Born to Boogie and Angry Dance grew on me as the week went by.

A few scenes really stood out as far as I was concerned:

Billy’s shadow dance just before Grandma’s Song. Billy’s image is reflected on the back wall as a massive shadow and the accompanying music was full of Eastern mysticism.
He Could be a Star – Dad and Tony are fighting and Billy rushes on stage to separate them before collapsing in a heap on the floor, sobbing, curled up in a ball.
RBS audition – a backdrop of the inside of the RBS theatre is shown with Billy carrying out his audition steps in front of it, but all he can think of is that they don’t want to see him dance, no matter how hard he tries to persuade the panel (which you don’t actually see).

There is so much more I could talk about but don’t want to get too carried away! All the Billys wear red shirts at the end but with a pale blue tracksuit top which is only taken off for the finale. This is shorter than the London version but ends with that enormous lighted “Billy” sign on stage.

The stage is wider than at the VPT and Billy has an almost full size bed! The opening newsreel is also different. Finally, I just have to say how superb all the cast was especially the Billys, Kiril, David and Trent. Thank you for four wonderful shows and for your friendliness at the stage door afterwards. It was great talking to you and your parents and allowing photos and autographs :D .
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Tue Apr 28, 2009 7pm - Trent, David B, Matthew

This was my second time seeing the show. That makes me a lightweight compared to others on this board, lol. My first time was back in November, with Kiril + David B. I enjoyed my second time every bit as much as the first. This time I could savor many more details of this great production. The company seems to have grown stronger in the ensemble numbers. The choral voices in numbers like "Solidarity" and "When We Were Kings" pack a powerful punch.

Haydn owns the stage every moment she is on. I never tire of watching her. Likewise for David B. I was quite impressed with him in November, and was even more impressed this second time around. He has grown in the role and become more of a showman in his big number. I also felt a nice chemistry between him and Trent.

The boys have said in various interviews "we each have our strengths and weaknesses". I have only seen Kiril and Trent as Billy thus far (hope to see the others eventually), but could not use the word "weakness" in any description of their performances. Rather I would simply say each has different strengths. One may be stronger in ballet, another stronger in tap. No matter which of them you see you are getting an amazing performance and won't be disappointed (as has been said by others on here).
:/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Welcome to the forum, CJ-Rochester. Glad you found us, and glad you enjoyed your second show as much as the first. Couldn't agree with you more about the Billys. I think it is impossible to find a Billy that isn't fabulous. By the time a boy becomes a Billy, he is certain to be terrific in the role. I have seen lots of Billys in London, and now on Broadway, and they have all been wonderfully different and differently wonderful.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Welcome to the forum CJ-Rochester. I, like you and ErinVA, find all the Billy brilliant. I have not discovered weakness in any of them - just strengths in abundance.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
phoebe
Debbie

Post by phoebe »

You are all terrific at describing in such detail that now I cannot wait one minute and must book my next ticket! Kudos to all the reviewers! This is such a nice forum.

Did anyone see the April 30 show and can report?
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
- Chinese proverb
theluji
Small Boy

Post by theluji »

Hi ! Im new here from Japan.
Also Im not good at english but let me try to write my review...please be patient to read.

This was my 2nd experience to see The Billy Elliot on 22Apr2009 (matinee)
I was very lucky to get 2nd row seat on the left side of orchestra from the next aisle,
also my neighbor was'nt show up, I could sit down on the aisle and got really nice view !
When I saw The Billy 1st time, my seat was rear mezzanine, that's fine to see the stage as a whole.
But this time I could see more small detail and their faces.

Matthew(small boy) was passing by me to the stage and climb up, I was surprised how high the stage for him !
Also I felt the stage looks little tiny when Keean(Michael) runs into by bicycle.

Billy was played by David A same as before I saw, he looks so seriously and his voice was getting lower a bit.
But I still love his dancing, what a very strong and elegant !

Keean's Michael was sooo pretty even more reall girl.
My 1st Michael was played by David B, he was a good entertainer but Keean was a gentle like Michael in the movie.
And I must attention to Tommy as a tall boy and posh boy, I felt a bit sorry to him couse he could playing Billy
but he was very modest in that day, I hope to see him as Billy again !

All of the casts were amazing but the audience...there were many old people in the center orchestra and
many young students in the mezzanine, they gave a applause but never stand up.
Billy and Michael recieved the standing ovations several times when I saw the show 1st time.
It's a very important factor to the show which is a chemistry with the audience.

Anyway, David lead the casts with big smile while in the curtain call,he did a great job !
Although I was the last one to waiting for David after the show, he looks tired but accepted to taking a picture
with smile and signs autograph.
And then I could catch Keean too after the evening show.(I missed him after the matinee).
They were both sooo nice, Thanks Boys !
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Welcome to the forum, theluji, and thanks for a great review. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Hi theluji and welcome. Glad you decided to post your review.

I hope you will send me the photos now for the gallery.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
theluji
Small Boy

Post by theluji »

Hi ERinVA ! Thanks for reading my review :P

I hope to go to NY or London to see The Billy again in this summer.

To Billy Whiz...Ive sent you my photos by email.
If you could not recieved attachement files,let me know.
New York
Billy : David A x 4 , Kiril x 1 , Trent x 1.3 , Tommy x 0.7 , Liam R x 1 , Dayton x 2 , Jacob x 1 , Alex x 1
Michael : David B x 5 , Keean x 2 ,Trevor x 4 , Jake x 1
Tall Boy : Keean x 3 , Tommy x 2 , Kiril x 1, Kylend x 3 , Ben x 3

Chicago
Billy : Cesar x 2
Michael : Gabriel x 2
Tall Boy : Spencer x 2

Toronto
Billy : Cesar x 1 , Marcus x 1 , Myles x 1
Michael : Jack x 2 , Dillon x 1
Tall Boy : Dillon x 2 , Jack x 1
Lina
Small Boy

Post by Lina »

Thanks for your wonderful review theluij!
And welcome to the forum ofcourse :D
~ July 24, 2008; Billy Elliot! ~

Return to “Reviews Archive”