November 2009 Reviews - London

Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Re: November 2009 - Reviews

Post by Billy Whiz »

ilovefoxjacksonkeen wrote:are there anymore pictures of Fox from that night?
Give us a chance :D :D :)

We have to sleep and eat as well :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Saturday, November 28th, 2009

I will post a more detailed review when I get home but I just wanted to point out that as well as Connor and Annabelle it was announced by Nick Evans that a number of others were leaving as well. The adults that left were Andy Black (second cover Tony), Shaun Walters (1st cover Older Billy), Daniel Ioannou (2nd cover Older Billy), Sorelle Marsh (2nd cover Dead Mum}, Kate Graham (she actually left a couple of weeks ago) and Stephanie Putson (Dead Mum). Also most of the girls in the three ballet teams have left - in fact I was told that there are 8 girls left out of the three teams. Thomas McKenna (tall boy) also left on Saturday night. I know Jonathan Danciger left recently but I do not know about Tyler John Parker so if anybody can enlighten us then it would be appreciated.

My hearfelt thanks to all of these people for making the show what it is - THE BEST!!!
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
NoDayButToday
Tall Boy

Post by NoDayButToday »

thanks for that billywhiz, lots of cast gone then, they will be missed!
Layton x1 Brad x1 Ollie x2 Fox x1 Tom x1(5th bday show) Dean CC x1

:)
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

ilovefoxjacksonkeen wrote:are there anymore pictures of Fox from that night?
Here is one of Fox for you. Remember though that this was Connor and Annabelle's night. Fox still has his to come sometime in the future.

It was also the Ballet Teams night and here are some of the girls with Thomas after the show

patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Have just heard briefly from VPT that Dean is a ballet Billy. Emily started tonight too. Looking forward to reviews.

Pat
NoDayButToday
Tall Boy

Post by NoDayButToday »

patc wrote:Have just heard briefly from VPT that Dean is a ballet Billy. Emily started tonight too. Looking forward to reviews.

Pat
Yay I was hoping Dean would be a ballet billy!!!

Can't wait to see the reviews :)
Layton x1 Brad x1 Ollie x2 Fox x1 Tom x1(5th bday show) Dean CC x1

:)
dwallen
Small Boy

Post by dwallen »

Monday November 30th 2009

Billy: Dean-Charles Chapman
Michael: George Maycock
Debbie: Emily Smith

What a fantastic evening at the Victoria Palace with the debut of Dean Charles Chapman. Yes, he is a 'Ballet Billy' and a superb one at that. I cannot believe that this was his first performance and he really didn't put a foot or a note wrong. He sings sweetly and dances brilliantly. His acting is also very natural and in many ways he is a happier Billy than some. He smiles quite a lot and when he does his character comes to life.

It was, however, his performance of Electricity that the audience found outstanding. I have to say that it is just great to find another boy whose version is substantially ballet. There were some street moves but these were so well integrated into ballet moves. His training has been very good and his confidence is there for all to see.

I am certain that, on the basis of what I saw tonight, we will see a very great Billy who will get better and better as time goes on. That is an exciting prospect considering how good he is already.

I also noticed some minor changes to the show tonight. It is a few weeks since I have been so I don't know if they came in tonight or before. Some musical interludes such as when Bily goes into his room to open the letter from the Royal Ballet School, have been rewritten and I think to great effect. The orchestration is interesting and of great quality. A more major change was when Billy comes home from the Boxing Club and makes some moves before noticing Grandma looking through his box. The lighting has been changed so as to project two large sillouttes of Billy moving and the music is in an eastern or arabic style and goes on longer than before. I thought that this was most effective and brought some mystery into the scene. Dean performed the moves very well.

One other notable moment was at the end of the ballet scene when Billy moves across the stage and ends standing very close to Dad. I like to see Billy execute this with precision so that he ends in front of Dad without being too close or to far away. Deans move was just right.

Expressing yourself with George was very funny and both boys obviously enjoyed themselves greatly. George's Michael is always a joy and both boys danced very well.

Emily played Debbie very well and was very funny. Another change for me was that after the Shine number instead of the 'You look a right w.....r to me' from Mr Braithwait, Debbie says 'You look like a d..ck head to me.' The suggestive hand motion from Debbie has been removed.

I approved of the changes tonight and they certainly kept the show fresh. I am in London this week on business and feel real lucky to have been able to catch another Billy first night. Well done to Dean and the whole cast for making this Monday night so special. May there be many more. Incidentally the whole theatre gave the cast a standing ovation at the end.
67 wonderful shows
21 marvellous Billys
Travis, Sam, Layton, Corey, Josh, Hogan, Fox, Brad, Tom, Tanner, Ollie, Dean, Rhys, Scott, Ryan, Josh Baker, Adam, Harris and Kaine, Harrison and Tade
2 First Nights - Ollie and Dean-Charles
8 Last Nights - Layton, Hogan, Brad, Fox, Tom, Ollie, Scott and Dean.
6 Anniversaries - 4th, 5th plus the second 5th Anniversary (May 12th 2010), 6th (March 2011) 7th (May 12th 2012) 8th (May 11th 2013)
1 Gala Night - May 30th 2012 - celebrating 7th Anniversary and 3,000 show.
Rich B
Technical Advisor
Technical Advisor

Post by Rich B »

Thanks for the review! Hope to see Dean-Charles when I come over in May.
dwallen wrote:Emily played Debbie very well and was very funny. Another change for me was that after the Shine number instead of the 'You look a right w.....r to me' from Mr Braithwait, Debbie says 'You look like a d..ck head to me.'
That's how it's done in NY.

Rich
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I would like to agree with everything that dwallen has said about tonight's show. If Nick Evans had not announced it at the beginning of the show then nobody would have known that it was his first night as Billy. Very assured and did not put a foot wrong. Emily as Debbie is brilliant. Very funny with some really nice touches. George and Dean had a great time in Expressing Yourself and they looked very comfortable together.

I would also like to add congratulations to the new adult cast members and to the fantastic Ballet girls and their new Tall Boy Ashley Cousins. They all did ever so well and should be proud of themselves.

After tonight's performance I can quite happily say that Billy Elliot the Musical is in safe hands still.

Here is a photo of Ashley taken outside the VP after the show. Thanks to Ashley and his parents for allowing me to take the photo.

Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

dwallen wrote: A more major change was when Billy comes home from the Boxing Club and makes some moves before noticing Grandma looking through his box. The lighting has been changed so as to project two large sillouttes of Billy moving and the music is in an eastern or arabic style and goes on longer than before.
Another adaptation from the Broadway show. Glad they've added it to the London show. I think it's a neat effect with the big shadow projected on the wall behind Billy, giving the audience an early hint of Billy's talent and interest in dancing.

Return to “Reviews Archive”