Mrs Wilkinson

Re: December 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 3rd December

Ollie, Jake, Emily
Mrs W: Caroline
Tony: Tim
Mr. B: Phil

The geniuses are at it again. The usual sense of anticipation before the show was increased this afternoon as we looked forward to seeing and hearing the changes that have taken place this week.

Firstly, the music changes were mostly listed by Dancer in his Monday night review so I'm not going to relist. In any event, you'd need to be making notes to recount them all. Good and all as the music on the original cast CD is the show today has come a long way music-wise. Not that there is any bombastic displays or anything. It is the little subtle changes all over that make up the whole. Some beautiful little trinkets that linger in the memory have been included and just add that "finishing touch" - that's not to say that they've finished because they never stop trying to do better. I suppose the stand-out piece of the new bits would be the shadows-on-the-wall accompaniment. My immediate reaction on seeing this on Broadway earlier this year was that I'd love to see it done in London. It is, quite simply, pure magic and when it was over all too soon I would love to have said, "Guys, could you please rewind that and do it again". But there is so much, much more new music to enjoy that enhances individual scenes or between scenes, in most cases just quietly, but extremely effectively. It is unlikely that another CD will ever be produced so the only solution is to go and see more shows. A small piece of music has been removed. In the Winter Scene there is now no music (well, it was a short piece, anyway) between the line that Billy speaks to Michael: "You're not a poof or 'owt" and Michael's reply "What gave you that impression".

Caroline was superb as Mrs. W. I'm not sure how many shows she has done this week but you'd never have thought she was new to the show. She has a wonderful stage presence.

Gosh, three paragraphs and I haven't got to Ollie yet. This was Ollie at his very best, busy as a bee and moving the show along at a nice brisk pace. I could hardly believe the time passed so quickly when we got to Angry Dance. What a dance. Ollie's statement to Dad, "Me Mam would have let us", was spoken with temper just about kept in check but once he got up those stairs all Hell broke loose. By the time he got back down again I couldn't look at his eyes for fear of being struck dead on the spot. Instead I fixed my eyes on those pounding, angry feet almost tearing up the floorboards with rage. And when he got up from the floor after that unmerciful scream his eyes glared up at the occupants of the Dress Circle who must have been diving for cover. The Letter with new Dead Mum was very moving as was the Dream Ballet and I immensely enjoyed his Electricity which has a bit of everything. Interestingly, there was applause at the end of the Letter (before Mrs. W says "she must have been a very special woman") and also after his first spin over to Mrs. W when she notices his talent for the first time.

During the first half the (mainly) new Ballet Girls had given their all and the good news is that they're at it again, too. Once again the crew have come up with a bunch of supremely talented girls to set that stage alight. If Ollie thought he'd get an easy time 'cos they're new he was mistaken! And they danced brilliantly in the Finale as well.

Which brings me nicely to Emily. What a classic Debbie she is. Rough and tumble, all go and a mind of her own. Poor Mrs. W. I suspect that being grounded wouldn't work with this Debbie. She'd be gone climbing out the window in total defiance. Wonderful tantrum when told to "p off" during the Snow scene :D

Jake just gets funnier and funnier. It isn't just the glasses, of course, but the way he uses them is hilarious. The changing into the tutu and the attempt at ballet brought the audience to its knees. Yet a few moments later his poignant exit had the opposite effect.

There was a new Tall Boy. I had hoped he would appear afterwards at the stage door so we could at least get his name but it wasn't to be. No doubt we will find out over the next while but he did a terrific job and his smiles to the audience at the end showed he had thoroughly enjoyed himself.

It was nice to see Tim again as Tony, a role he has been expertly doing for a long time now with all its changes and multi-talented Phil provided his usual hilarious Mr. B.

Samantha, the new Dead Mum, was perfect in the role and has a beautiful voice as witnessed in The Letter. I'm reasonably sure that her costume, whilst generally the same as Stephanie and others wore, did look slightly different. I think it was the top but I'll let the ladies work that one out. In the Letter Reprise she didn't just sit on a chair in the row. She pulled one of the chairs forward out of the row and sat on it.

There was a slight alteration in Grandma's Song, too. Ann gave two fingers instead of one which I haven't seen before. :D

It is getting a bit late so time to sign off but thanks to all the cast new and old and crew/musicians for a truly wonderful afternoon's new and fresh entertainment. The show rolls on to even greater heights and you all simply must get down to the VPT asap to see what they have done with it.

Pat
Kate
Audience Member

Post by Kate »

Thursday 3rd December Evening
Fox, Connor, Francesca

This was such a fun show with quite a few new faces.

Firstly there was no small boy tonight so no-one climbed onto the stage to start the show. If you'd hadn't been to the show before you wouldn't realise this was missing. Then after 'Take me up' Fox finished did a bit of a jiggle smiled and then ran round in an airplane fashion rather than teasing small boy. In the boxing scene some-one else played small boy - i'm sorry i don't know who it was but i think it was another tall boy. The scene was the same but the w*nker line being delivered by a much taller boy didn't quite get the same response.

Caroline is a fantastic new Mrs W her whole performance was brilliant and considering it was her first week then what a great job she did. The new ballet girls looked like they were having a fab time and nearly pushed Fox over a few times.
During solidarity there was a loose miners hat that came spinning off the stage and was brilliantly caught by the conductor.

Express was a delight to watch with Connor giving a strong performance, when he replied 'its a bit weird if you ask me' there was a round of applause from the audience. Fox smiled alot during the scene and you could see both boys were loving the reaction.

Although Barnaby was in the show there was a new older billy during dream ballet today who i don't know the name of.
During the flying at one point he lost the momentum but recovered well to launch Fox at the final part.

Electricity as brilliant as ever - the gymnastics always going to get a great reaction and the wall flip looking superb.

Great show with new faces who did a fantastic job.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks patc and Kate for the great reviews.

It sounds like Emily and Connor are settling in fine.

We could do with another review of Dean now.

That is not to the preclusion of reviews of our other stars though.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Kate wrote:During solidarity there was a loose miners hat that came spinning off the stage and was brilliantly caught by the conductor.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Great review, Kate. Do you know which conductor it was?

Was it a case of:

"Hat c Hatt b Miner"

OR

"Hat c Matt b Miner"
:D

Pat
Kate
Audience Member

Post by Kate »

Hi Pat,

I'm not sure of his name but the best way to describe him is someone who has slightly less hair than most of us!

It was a great catch that any England keeper would be proud of.

Kate
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

That is Matt then.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Kate wrote:It was a great catch that any England keeper would be proud of.
Thanks, Kate.
I'd have paid extra to see that :D

Pat
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

wow - caroline has done quite a few shows this week - tues and both on thurs xxxxxx
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

pinknick103 wrote:wow - caroline has done quite a few shows this week - tues and both on thurs xxxxxx

Silly me - just seen Joanna Riding's thread - she on hol - thats why Caroline has been doing lots of shows !!!
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1
daff55
Small Boy

Post by daff55 »

Thurs eve 3rd Dec

FOX-CONNOR-FRANCESCA

Brilliant Brilliant show, sorry for the late review, boring stuff like work etc.

One major difference was that there was no small boy. I don't know if this is temporary or not. One thing I must say is that during 'Billy's dance when small boy copies him, it was replaced by Billy(Fox) fooling around on stage by himself.Then debbie(Francesca) came through the doors alone and challenged Billy to a game of Tag. They played for a short while, before the ballet girls came in causing havoc. I must say I really enjoyed the young, almost flirty game Billy and Debbie played, marking a beginning of the crush she has on him.
I could be mistaken but I'm fairly sure that Ollie played small boy in the boxing scene.

The Talented Mr Fox was his usual brilliant self. Its a while since I saw Fox but I think he was much more emotional in the letter scenes than I seem to remember, a flawless performance.

Its the first time I've seen young Connor, but he certainly gave a fantastic, funny and confident performance.Well done.
I know there will be many many more great performances from this young man.

I love Francesca's cheeky and 'know it all' Debbie. She's very funny, infact I don't know how they keep a straight face during the toilet scene, the audience certainly can't. I'm pleased the hand gesture has been removed.

First time seeing this Mrs W. I agree with patc, she has a great stage presence
The ballet girls were all great and very enthusiastic. All in all a brilliant show. If there were any more 'new starters' it certainly didn't show. Each cast member gave their all and delivered a very good show. Sorry for the short review.

Return to “Reviews Archive”