Debbie

Re: December 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by BILLYFAN »

Sat 5th December mat.

BILLY==OLLIE
MICHAEL==CONNOR
DEBBIE==FLEUR

SHOW STARTED AT 2.32 FINISHED AT 5.37

I like all the changes in the show as mentions by other reviewers, a nearly full theatre and fairly lively

I haven't got time to give a full review today, I'll see if I can get sometime tomorrow afternoon to put a review in
The show was very good and one person behind me said (about Conner) Is'nt he fantastic, a fuller report tomorrow
Kate
Audience Member

Post by Kate »

daff55 wrote:Thurs eve 3rd Dec

I could be mistaken but I'm fairly sure that Ollie played small boy in the boxing scene.

Actually daff55 you could be right it did look slightly like Ollie
BILLYFAN
Debbie

Post by BILLYFAN »

Sat 5th December Mat.

BILLY==OLLIE
MICHAEL==CONNOR
DEBBIE==FLEUR

Yet another good show,and I like all of the changes
In the kitchen scene the radio was on a little louder,and clearer, and Big Davy produced some gasps from the audience
with the amount of salt he put on his "sandwich" even banging the bottom of the salt seller, he also stay'd a bit longer eating the sandwich before leaving
In the boxing scene, Connor played his part very well
Granmas song:- The shadow dancing was very effective
In both Shine and Solidarity Billy was pushed around a lot the new ballet girls certainly were enjoying themselves
A lot of hankies where out in the letter scene, and in born to boggie at one time mr Braithwaite got very close to the edge of the stage I thought he was going to fall into the md's pit!
Going back a bit to espressing yourself, It was certainly Connors part, and at the end, when he leans against the wall, a person behind me said is'nt he fantastic!
The angry dance was very angry and I like the way Ollie did a slieght bow , before putting his arms up to the audience as if to say "come on then"
In the pantomime the chap next to me (in seat b18) was picked on, I don't think he was very pleased, a little bit more adlibbing this afternoon, George asking if any Sunderland fans where in the audience one chap put his hand up, so he was told to turn his tag off as it was interferring with the mikes, he did say he was only joking
In the audition scene pencil man does'nt seem to get many laughs now, but the stagehand who take the tape out gets a lot of laughs
altogether a very good show, I have'nt seen the md that was on on Sat. before and the usual md was showing him the music sheets when I came in at 2.00pm
the family sitting next to me (in seats 20-24) kepted pointing to a ballet girl throughout the show so I think it could be one of the parents, also 2 girls in seats 17/17 about 10yrs old I heard them say to the md (after the show) the hope to get into auditions soon-I persume to be ballet girls in the show
To repeat what the lady behind be said,yes, Ollie,Conner, Fleur all fantastic

The show started at 2.32 and finished at 5.37 so 3h05m of Billy magic this afternoon

22 wonderful shows GEORGE? OR JAMES? 1 LIAM 3 LEON 1 TRAVIS 1 LAYTON 2 OLIVER 1 JOSH 1 COREY 2 HOGAN 2 TANNER 3 BRAD 1 TOM 1 OLLIE 3
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks BILLYFAN.

Sounds like you had a terrific afternoon at the theatre.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 10th December

Fox, Jake, Emily
Tony: Tim
George: Phil
Mr. B: Shaun
Dead Mum: Rhona

It seemed to be a Budget-Stunned Audience (BSA) that showed up at the VPT this afternoon so it was a rather reserved and constrained atmosphere. After the initial hurly-burly beginning the exquisite new introductory music to "Take me Up" set the scene for a magnificent show powered by the human long-life battery that is Fox Jackson-Keen. Perfection personified.

The boxing scene was a brilliant fiasco (as far as the boxing coach was concerned) as Fox regaled us with a mixture of "Strictly Come Dancing", "Dancing on Ice" and the "Shimmy-Shimmy" which a statuesque Jake admired from a distance until it was his turn to swing into action. Well, "action" may not be the right word here. One "act" would be more appropriate but it was enough to plant Fox flat on his back. A bemused Phil watched all this in disbelief until his turn came to be on the receiving end. After three propellor-like strokes representing "left, right, left" Jake hit the spot and I just hope that Phil was wearing a box.

Joanna and the Ballet Girls came on and it was Fox's turn to be bemused, bothered and bewildered by the hilarious "mayhem" that went on around him. It is so much fun to watch this carry-on all done matter-of-factly with those lovely smiles beaming out at you. When the girls go out while Mrs. W and Billy have that brief "chat" I have always been amazed at how they can all change into those pink costumes so quickly and be ready to charge back on stage again in such a short space of time. That final part of Shine has a cracking beat and I always find my feet tapping (in time hopefully). It was my second time to see Emily and it looks like the Mrs. W's and Billys are in for a rough ride 'cos she knows exactly how to behave like a.......... :D, well, I was going to use a not-nice word but will refrain from doing so as this is a "PG" Board. Her big moment "duet" with Tracy Atkinson at the front of stage had to seen (and heard) to be believed.

The absolutely enchanting new shadows on the wall dance was performed exquisitely by Fox accompanied by that spellbinding music. This is a new "Golden Moment" in BETM that leaves you begging for more. An absolute gem of a scene all too short. (They want us to come back again and again to see it - might just do that :D )

Ann was in sparkling form in Grandma's Song and she nearly took off when she leapt up from the chair and got swinging towards the end of that number with Fox breaking his heart laughing at her every move.

In the first Toilet Scene I love the manner in which Joanna's initial harshness melts when she encourages Billy to attend on Monday nights. She comes closer to him and smilingly pinches him on the nose but when Billy's doubts frustrate her she reverts back to previous form. I'll bet there were a few teachers in the audience that could identify with that.

Up to this point the BSA were still BSA-ing but when Jake appeared for Expressing the two boys went for a no-holds-barred session that lifted the gloom considerably.

But it was Fox's powerful Angry Dance that finally lifted them out of their seats. A shuddering session of head banging turbulence. Had we been in an aircraft the Captain would have switched the seatbelt signs on.

There was just time for a toffee ice-cream and a quick chat with the regulars before Phil was back out to meet and greet the former BSA which was now an ASB (All Smiling Battalion) -sorry that's the best I can do at 2am in the morning. He got everything going nicely for Part Two followed up by a wonderful Winter Scene. Fox and Jake had a hard time keeping straight faces when one or two members of the visiting school groups "commented" on the kiss :D . (BTW, I forgot to mention in last week's review that a tiny little boy sitting in front went "YUK" aloud when he saw the kiss. Although inappropriate, it was impossible not to laugh at the time).

The remainder of Part Two was the usual roller-coaster of emotions. Barnaby and Fox performed a magical Dream Ballet, Joe and Tim broke everyone's heart in the Pit scene and Fox's breathtaking Electricity brought the usual tumultuous applause and resultant smile. On the evidence of two shows now there seems to be a very slight change to the Mrs. W/Billy goodbye scene. When Mrs. W wishes Billy "Good Luck" as he leaves, Billy used to walk back over to her centrestage to wish her luck as well. But now, Billy stays near the door as Mrs. W exits and then walks to centrestage.

Rhona was a gentle and loving Dead Mum and both Letters were beautifully sung with great emotion.

In the absence of Sean Kingsley it was Shaun Henson's turn to perform his hilarious version of Mr. B and he seemed to do a full splits in Boogie.

The Small Boy was Connor according to other Forum members present but the new Tall Boy's name was not available. In any event both of them played their parts brilliantly and fully deserved to be included in the standing ovation at the end. (The show website does not appear to have been updated yet with the new names)

That's all for now, folks, but thanks to all concerned for another fantastic and entertaining show.

Pat
Tom Billydutch
Audience Member

Post by Tom Billydutch »

Tuesday 8 December, 2009/ Thursday 10 December, 2009 (Matinee)

There's a new Billy in town: Dean-Charles Chapman!

This must be one of his first performances, as I can't remember having read a review about him before. He was on on Tuesday.
So here we go.
The nice thing about a new Billy is that when Tony shouts: 'He's only twelve for God's sake', he is true and the actor truly has Billy's age. Dean-Charles ís Billy Elliot. A potential star. This becomes the most clear in his Electricity performance. D-C is a 'ballet' Billy so then I always think back to one of the most groundbreaking BETM experiences I've ever had: Kiril Kulish, in early June this year in New York. That kid was a true wonder. His Swan Lake was danced exactly the same as the Older Billy, his Electricity had a style I've never seen before and I'll probably never see it again.
Dean-Charles is different. It's just as Mrs Wilkinson pointed out: They're looking for potential, Billy. And he has all that. He's a wonderful dancer, a true Billy Elliot. I'm looking forward to seeing him again later, to see whether how he has developed. For now, he's a wonderful presence at the stage. Great expression in his face. Just a little uncertain in his acting, but what can you expect from someone this age who's on stage for such a big audience for the first time, playing this role?

Two days later I saw the show that's been reviewed already: the Thursday matinee with Fox. I never saw his early performances, but I heard he has grown a lot and what a wonderful Billy he has become. I love his acting, the way he looks and his interaction with the other actors. Especially Joanna Riding as Mrs Wilkinson is SO brilliant. When she says her last words on stage: Yeah, thanks Billy, after he has wished her the very best of luck as well, you really feel the emotion. the timing and interaction between the actors was sublime in this show.

One extra comment about Craig Callivan, playing Tony. I saw him in the show with Dean-Charles. When he pointed out to Billy, after he got the acceptence letter and the terrible news came in the miners lost the strike, that when Billy was his age everybody he knew would be unemployed, that was só intense. I saw the tears in his eyes: this isn't an actor: this is Tony. Absolutely brilliant.

So: another unforgettable Billy ride. Looking forward to the next one: in March on Broadway :-)
London:
Travis x 3, Leon, Josh, Tom x 2, Fox x 2, Ollie, Dean-Charles x 4, Aaron, Josh x 2, Adam x 2, Harris x 2, Redmand, Tade

NY: Tanner, David x 2, Trent, Kiril, Alex x 2, Michael, Liam x 2, Tade, Joseph
+ the unforgettable last performance on Sun jan 8th 2012

Always be yourself.
pexcornel
Miner

Post by pexcornel »

Tom Billydutch wrote:One extra comment about Craig Callivan, playing Tony. I saw him in the show with Dean-Charles. When he pointed out to Billy, after he got the acceptence letter and the terrible news came in the miners lost the strike, that when Billy was his age everybody he knew would be unemployed, that was só intense. I saw the tears in his eyes: this isn't an actor: this is Tony. Absolutely brilliant.
I saw those tears too. It's so intense :)
Tanner x3; Fox x4; Ollie x3; Brad x2; Tom x4.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Saturday 12th December - matinee

Dean Charles Chapman
Connor
Francesca

Joe Caffrey - Dad
Tim Funnell - Tony
Joanna Riding - Mrs W

My 99th show was just like my first! To see how much I liked Dean, you can read the comments I made about him in his thread - trust me, they're pretty good!! 8-)

It was my first time seeing this Connor too and for such a pint sized chap, he made a big impression on the audience!

I liked the few changes made to the show, particularly the 'shadow' effect. It brought a freshness to the show, that along with the ever changing cast members, made it still worth coming back to see!

Joe Caffrey was AMAZING as Dad. WOW! What an emotional performance!

I thought Joanna Riding had become much warmer in her relationship with Billy. Personally, I prefer this way, rather than the cold, harsh approach.

A great show! Lots of tears from all the women sitting around me! Well done to all cast and crew!
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Wed. 16th Dec

Fox, George, Fleur
Tony: Tim
Mr.B: Phil

From an internet cafe somewhere deep in the "Victorian" jungle so it's a short review.

Boy, was I glad that a planned pre-Christmas double turned into a triple because I would have hated to have missed last night's cracking show. If Richard Branson's Galactic spaceship needs more power then he need look no further than Fox who could power the whole fleet all the way to Mars if needs be.

It was a dreadful sleety cold night in London but the audience were already warmed to the full by the interval and, by the end, fully armed to face the bleak weather outside.

Expressing was just one big laugh and the brilliant and hilarious George must have used half the lipstick leaving Fox with a red "moustache" of quite some proportions weaving its way almost to his ears.

The new Ballet Girls have really taken off now and theirs was an extremely polished version of fun dancing at its best. They all looked to be enjoying it immensely and the audience certainly did. Fleur left no stone unturned in making life a misery for everyone on stage. Wonderful stuff. Her Toilet Scene was a classic piece of comedy as was Fox's response to her "invitation".

The new incidental music introduced for some scenes continues to hugely enhance the show and, if you haven't been able to get to the VPT recently, then do try to go over Christmas. The shadow dance music may be the one that gets most mention because of the actual beauty of that scene itself but there is much more.

Thanks to Fox and the fantastic cast/crew for yet another amazing and heartwarming show.

Pat
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks for the review Pat.

I had to pinch myself as usually I think "It's Pat's review, it must be Friday"
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews Archive”