December 2009 Reviews - London

Muppet
Michael

Re: December 2009 - UK Reviews

Post by Muppet »

burtond wrote::
Fabulous surprise to see Jake Pratt (a current Michael) momentarily in the role of 'small boy' in the boxing scene (this was due to the problems with the heavy snowfall outside - small boy didnt arrive until the interval! :P ) Great improvisation by Fox at the beginning during the lolipop chase - there was no small boy and Fox had to cover - a true professional.
I always find it quite amusing when someone else fits into another role with little notice. It shows how versatile, flexible and professional these actors are, knowing other roles and lines.

My faves were Leon Cooke as Tall boy and posh boy Thomas. He had his hair greased right back and with the glasses on - he looked very geeky! :geek:

I also saw Shaun Malone as small boy once and Travis Yates as Michael.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks, burtond, for a fab review. I can feel the excitement/enjoyment in your words!! :D
burtond wrote:Fox was at his very best and after his performance of 'Electricity' it took some time to re-start the show allowing for the applause and shouts of 'Bravo' (from one German Father sat behind me) and Whoo's, shouts of more etc - Fox's face was an absolute pleasure to watch
One of THE great and legendary all-time golden moments in BETM. I can picture it right now and can't help smiling. :D :D :D :D :D
Ensemble, really 'gutsy' - We all appreciate how hard you all work with your many costume/character changes. It really is appreciated.
HEAR, HEAR.

Pat
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Muppet wrote: My faves were Leon Cooke as Tall boy and posh boy Thomas. He had his hair greased right back and with the glasses on - he looked very geeky! :geek:

I also saw Shaun Malone as small boy once and Travis Yates as Michael.
Thanks Muppet. You are clearly a seasoned Billy Elliot fan. We have only been involved since September and so have a long way to go to catch up - but watch out! we will. Totally addicted to the show it's like a 'healthy' drug ;)
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Westletonion
Miner

Post by Westletonion »

burtond wrote:Totally addicted to the show it's like a 'healthy' drug
Some of us have been addicted to it for years now, even since preview days!
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Westletonion wrote:
Hope it's safe to keep taking it - I know it makes me and my family feel great. If you've been taking it for years, we should be OK.
Long may it be available. 8-)
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

burtond wrote:
Westletonion wrote:
Hope it's safe to keep taking it - I know it makes me and my family feel great. If you've been taking it for years, we should be OK. Long may it be available. 8-)
Trouble is though...good medicine can be VERY expensive after a while!!
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Agreed westleonion.
At least we are lucky to have access to Day Seats. :)
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

Muppet wrote:
burtond wrote:
Westletonion wrote:
Hope it's safe to keep taking it - I know it makes me and my family feel great. If you've been taking it for years, we should be OK.
Long may it be available. 8-)
Trouble is though...good medicine can be VERY expensive after a while!!
Agree as well
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

Saturday December 26th eve

Fox
Connor
Francesca

A few random thoughts about the Boxing Day Show. This year Christmas Day falling on Friday has made things quite tricky for cast, crew and Front of House. They did a Christmas Eve mat (which I believe was not very well attended), had Christmas Day off, and then were back in for Saturday eve with Sunday off. As most people had travelled to be with family it meant that they had done a lot of travelling around at a time when there was little public transport. Why oh why are there no trains on Boxing Day? Pretty tiring for all concerned.

I thought that the cast performed well under the circumstances although at times some fatigue was evident. The audience also seemed subdued. Maybe too much Christmas fare? I had not seen Connor before and found him quite a different Michael. He is so tiny that he has to go on tip toe to kiss Billy :D He is so amusing to watch particularly with his facial expressions. Francesca acts with assurance and has developed Debbie's role to perfection. Fox's experience in the part shows and he totally controls the stage and the audience. If he was a bit tired, it did not show.
Thank you to everyone who maintained the BETM standard and who gave up a lot of their Christmas to entertain us.
There are lots of extra matinees this week to make up for the four missed Shows over the festive period. Lets hope that snow does not create difficulties :(
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Did George not make any remarks about it being BOXING DAY when he was encouraging Billy & Michael to fight? He should've done...that would've been funny! :D

Return to “Reviews Archive”