Matthew Koon - Billy: London

pexcornel
Miner

Re: Matthew Koon

Post by pexcornel »

Some info about the Centrepointe Show 2009. I heard comments that he was really good. Maybe some of you who saw it could post a short review :)
http://www.centre-pointe.co.uk/news_achievements
Tanner x3; Fox x4; Ollie x3; Brad x2; Tom x4.
hecouldshine
Small Boy

Post by hecouldshine »

Centrepointe Show 2009

What a treat! If I have remembered correctly, Matthew had 3 formal ballet sections where he was a soloist this year, in group pieces/ballets; Cinderella, Wizard of Oz, (?) and Carmen. He had at least 2 tap numbers, but solos were within the group pieces, (unlike last year when he had a number to himself), one hip hop (down on last year), a couple (or more?) contemporary pieces, including an award winning work choreographed by his talented elder sister, a couple of jazz pieces, a Chinese group piece, Jasmine, which we saw last year also, and which is going to the All England Dance Final next week, AND 2 vocal pieces this year.

His ballet displays such musicality, yet precision, and beautiful lines. I have a feeling he has spent a lot of time on his ballet in the last 12 months. His jumps show great elevation, his pirouettes always finished precisely and confidently. What more can I say about his ballet? I think he could enter international competitions now, and have a good chance of winning, and there aren’t many in this country that can compete at this level. It will be interesting to see if he chooses to go down the ballet route for a career.

His tap, jazz and contemporary technique, and his feel for the music, show equal talent and dedication and hard work. How difficult must it be for a dancer who can perform so well in all these disciplines to decide what to concentrate on?!

And then there is his singing! We had a solo from A Chorus Line , and another from Wicked, and I can report (with apologies for not knowing the technical terms) that his voice has a beautiful quality, good range and power. He would have no problem with the demands of Musical Theatre, and I’m sure could aim for the West End in this genre as well, if he wanted!

So in conclusion, watch this space, or at least I will be watching Matthew’s career with great appreciation and interest. Will he go for Ballet, Dance in the wider sphere, or Musical Theatre? What a choice!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks hecouldshine.

Oh to have that much talent.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Yes, thanks! It's wonderful to see Matthew doing so well.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
han25
Small Boy

Post by han25 »

Billy Whiz wrote:
han25 wrote:My first ever Billy and the reason i fell in love with the show! Such a great Billy!
Snap!
Oh I didn't realise you had quoted this! Sorry i'm still trying to work this all out lol, ohh cool :) I remember the first time I saw the show, the flying didn't work so they missed it out, but his dancing was just amazing! :mrgreen: :D
Billy : Matthew x1 Trent x1 Layton x2 Ollie x3 Tom x3 Tanner x2 Brad x1 Dean x1
Michael : Shaun x4 George x3 Lewis x1 Jake x3 Connor x1 Connor K x1 Joe x1
Debbie : Leyci x2 Scarlet x2 Alicia x1 Annabelle x1 Fleur x4 Francesca x4

31/3/10- One of the best nights of my life...

PaulWilly
Ballet Girl

Post by PaulWilly »

As hecouldshine further up described Matthew's wonderful performance in this years Centre-Point show 2009,
here are a few pics with Matthew from last year's Centre-Point show - you can find these pics here:
http://www.centre-pointe.co.uk/
Go there to "gallery", but Matthew is on great background pics of "home" and "news & achievements" as well!
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Hopefully pics of this year's show will be available soon (and maybe a video??)!
“It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
Justin
Tall Boy

Post by Justin »

At the All-England Dance Competition yesterday:

The Firebird - A modern ballet interpretive with a distinct flavour of the Orient. I understand the dance was part choreographed during a summer in Hong Kong. One word to describe it: mindblowing. Picture the phoenix preparing to take off. Urgently he builds up, he roars. The tension near unceasing. He draws his lines elegantly but with such force. In Chinese philosophy they talk of something called chi - an animating life force that runs through you and connects you to the earth. Like an electric current, each movement is infused with this chi, this sizzling, electric force. And then comes lift off. And suddenly gravity cease to exist. Gravitas and pathos give way to a majestic lightness. He treads the edge of the precipe. He leaps. He swoops. He soars. Two flips consecutively and on the second flip, the dancer for a moment hung still - in mid-air, in that oh-so-utterly perfect upside down U-shape. You watch, slack jawed and feel giddy inside. Such mastery. Matthew won the Silver medal in the Modern for this dance. In all seriousness, I thought he should have easily won Gold.

The Last of the Mohicans - Magua, Le Renard Subtil, the Huron chief plots his revenge against Colonel Munro. His spear glistens as he handles it threateningly while he captures Munro's daughters. One deft movement and he kills Uncas. Always dancing with death, surely the stunning climax of this dance, as Magua is about to pounce on Munro - like a leopard leaping in full flight, in that surely by now trademark perfect grand jete which seems to take Matthew at least 5 feet off the ground, the sole gunshot wounding our protagonist fatally. It must have been only an instant, but it seemed like Matthew hung there in mid-flight, in his famous grand jete for what was an eternity. The blood dripping down his leg, coating his hands. And even in death he dances his defiance, one hand tightly outstretched, the blood dripping down it's sinews. Matthew took the First Prize in the Character for this one, and it was well deserved.

Additionally, he also took the 2nd position in the Tap yesterday, and 3rd in the National the day before.
Red's my colour
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Thanks for those descriptions, Justin. I wish I could have been there! :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
pexcornel
Miner

Post by pexcornel »

Thanks for the review!
I knew he was doing something but now I know exactly what.
Tanner x3; Fox x4; Ollie x3; Brad x2; Tom x4.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Justin. Wonderful descriptions of an incredible dancer.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Cast - London”