Post by elliot1 »

:o One of them is mine. :oops: :oops:

;) :D :lol:
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Blog Reactions to the show

Post by ERinVA »

I read the comment that you were a member of both forums, but didn't recognize the name, as your blogger's name is very different from your forum name. 8-) :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

An interesting blog review of the Chicago show, by a Chicago area dancer:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/come-da ... sical.html
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Hmmph! interesting Blog
I can sympathise a little with their view of the second act - it isn't as full on, in your face, lively and as charismatic as the first act but in my view it isn't necessary. The story has moved on for the second half and I love the conclusion in the musical. As far as the dream ballet is concerned - this is certainly not out of place but the blogger is right to suggest that the older Billy does need to be perfection.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I felt the blogger was a bit too stuck on the movie, so that he was not able to move away from that to see that the stage show does not have to "fast forward" to older Billy at the end for the show to be complete. He is right to say that Older Billy must be an excellent dancer, but having not seen the Chicago Older Billy, I wouldn't be able to say whether he is correct in his assessment of this one as a "casual man" (whatever that means) or not. Since he goes on to suggest the name of a dancer he would rather see in the role, I find myself wondering if that dancer is a friend who auditioned and didn't get the part. I had the feeling he would like to see this person come bounding out onto the stage at the end wearing feather pants a la Adam Cooper. 8-)
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

From the Notre Dame St. Mary's Observer:
http://www.ndsmcobserver.com/scene/bill ... -1.1307634
Not sure where to put this because the writer did not indicate whether she saw the Broadway or Chicago show. It is really a regular online review from the Notre Dame newspaper rather than a blog, but I suppose it can go here as well as anywhere.
Ellen

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

ERinVA wrote:Not sure where to put this because the writer did not indicate whether she saw the Broadway or Chicago show.
I believe it's written to potential theater-goers for the Chicago show as in a couple of places in the review she refers to a "Broadway-style show" and, at the end, she says "the play is fun to watch and definitely one to consider when visiting Chicago." I would agree that it's hard to discern whether she actually saw the show in Chicago or had previously seen it on Broadway, though.

Given all of the above, I do think this thread is the right choice for this post.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I figured that she had seen the Chicago one, I didn't feel the article actually made that very clear. I found it odd that she said absolutely nothing about the Billy himself, whoever was on, and I also found myself scrolling through the dance numbers in my head to figure out how "many" of them do not involve singing. There are actually only two: Angry Dance and the Dream Ballet. Even the finale has a vocal part at the end.
Ellen

ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I figured that she had seen the Chicago one, but I didn't feel the article actually made that very clear. I found it odd that she said absolutely nothing about the Billy himself, whoever was on, and I also found myself scrolling through the dance numbers in my head to figure out how "many" of them do not involve singing. There are actually only two: Angry Dance and the Dream Ballet. Even the finale has a vocal part at the end.
Ellen

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

ERinVA wrote:I found it odd that she said absolutely nothing about the Billy himself, whoever was on, and I also found myself scrolling through the dance numbers in my head to figure out how "many" of them do not involve singing. There are actually only two: Angry Dance and the Dream Ballet. Even the finale has a vocal part at the end.
I always find it interesting to observe which aspects of the show people decide to hone in on. I suppose their emphasis is at least partially due to their backgrounds, exposure to a lot or just a few musicals and just plain tastes -- as far as what they want to see in a show. But it is very odd, indeed, to watch a nearly 3 hour show titled "Billy Elliot" and not even mention the actor by name (or any actors for that matter) who is the title character and centerpiece of the show and is on stage nearly the entire duration of the show. That's what makes the world go 'round, I guess. :?

Return to “Blogs and Trip Blogs”