Most moving/emotional part of the show

Is the Music live? Where are auditons held?
burtond
Michael

Re: Most moving/emotional part of the show

Post by burtond »

Spot on! ErinVa.
Blimey! what a powerful show this is - Love it!
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Thomas
Ballet Girl

Post by Thomas »

Will have to concentrate on this scene. I am always moved by "The Letter - Reprise" but I am not sure if it moves me more than "The Letter".
Leon 1, Fox 5, Ollie 8.5, Tom 3.5, Dean 11, Rhys 8, Aaron 5, Scott 5, Josh 4, Adam 4, Ryan 4
cuuush
Small Boy

Post by cuuush »

burtond wrote:Michael has just said his final goodbye to Billy, and Billy walks off.
the music kicks in in a big way as the curtain falls but if you listen to the music, it is playing '..Love you forever; love you forever..' No words are being sung - it is just the band playing - surely this is not a coincidence but meticulously planned by Lee, Elton and Stephen.
How sad for the Michael guy - his friend and confident gone - forever!
I agree! After seeing the musical (my only time… so far) I went home and listened to the soundtrack repeatedly, knowing something was there but not understanding exactly what. All of a sudden it hit me; the music does say “love you forever” just as Billy leaves. It breaks your heart and heals it all at the same time, amazingly beautiful!

I actually never realized when watching the movie just how sad and upsetting this feel-good story really is. That came as a total surprise when seeing the musical. And I have since, admittedly, cried all the way through the soundtrack. :) The most emotional I got during the show I saw was in the beginning of the letter scene, and of course all Tom’s fault. “And I will have missed you growing, and I’ll have missed you crying, and I’ll have missed”, sang Tom in a beautiful voice and then took this short pause before adding, “you laugh”. That pause, which is not on the soundtrack, and those last two words really got to me!
pexcornel
Miner

Post by pexcornel »

It might be strange but all my feelings come together after the dad says "go home Billy" and the music starts playing and the snow starts to fall. At that moment I actually feel physically cold, and lonely, even though there are people around me, I feel lonely, after the absolute beauty of the dream ballet.

Every time I see the show, is that precise moment when all the previous shows flash trough my mind.

I don't know what it is. It just is.

Also, every time I hear the Swan Lake music, Billy comes in my mind. Billy as the spectacle, the Theatre, the fans, London. That.
Tanner x3; Fox x4; Ollie x3; Brad x2; Tom x4.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

pexcornel wrote: Also, every time I hear the Swan Lake music, Billy comes in my mind. Billy as the spectacle, the Theatre, the fans, London. That.
I do love the Dream Ballet sequence - it always brings a lump to my throat.
It is made even more special as a result of the inspirational music from Swan Lake. (actual sequence available from the Swan Lake Suite Op 20)
I have just 'slotted' this track between 'Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher' and 'Deep into the Ground' to make my Billy Elliot CD much more complete. Can't imagine why the Swan Lake theme was omitted from the CD soundtrack - it is such an integral part of the show!
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
StevenKing
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by StevenKing »

burtond wrote:
burtond wrote:For me, it has to be the final slow curtain just before the Finale. The music does it to me every time. So loud, so appropriate, so powerful, it brings a lump to my throat just thinking about it now. And there is something about the lone figure image of Michael who has just said goodbye to his one true friend, probably the only guy who understands him in the Community - and that slow, slow curtain.
I could watch it repeatedly over and over again.
WOW!
I have just worked out why I find this sequence so emotional:
Michael has just said his final goodbye to Billy, and Billy walks off.
the music kicks in in a big way as the curtain falls but if you listen to the music, it is playing '..Love you forever; love you forever..' No words are being sung - it is just the band playing - surely this is not a coincidence but meticulously planned by Lee, Elton and Stephen.
How sad for the Michael guy - his friend and confident gone - forever!

Wow...never got that before now...that REALLY adds to impact to that end for me now!! And I agree Ellen that the Finale is a must but more then a few reviewers HATE it for pretty much the same reason , go figure.

Steven
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

StevenKing wrote:
Wow...never got that before now...that REALLY adds to impact to that end for me now!! And I agree Ellen that the Finale is a must but more then a few reviewers HATE it for pretty much the same reason , go figure.

Steven
Hi Steven, next time you see the show, look out for this it is well and truly POWERFUL. Also, the Finale is a must follow (in my view). It is important that the audience leave the Theatre on a high but at the same time, they will distinctly remember those enthralling tender and emotional moments - but in context.

Must go play the 'letter reprise' now on the CD - need a BETM fix! ;)

David
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Another thought on the final scene:
I find myself unable to start my applause until the final slow curtain has descended completely. This is because I need to hear (uninterrupted) those final few bars of music which to me are the most important in the show. i do wish the rest of the audience would wait until the curtain has fallen compeltely - sadly this is probably never going to happen - but they are missing the emotional highlight of the show (in my view)
Of course after that, you can't stop me 'clapping' with gusto and enthusiasm.

(Forgive me for going on and on about this! ;) )
Alex
Ballet Girl

Post by Alex »

ERinVA wrote:That is why the finale is an absolute necessity, as far as I am concerned, so that people can go out on the high of Billy's success.
Yeah, the Finale is an essential part for me too. The other musical I like (or obsess over is probably a more accurate term . . . :oops: ) - Wicked - ends on a very bittersweet note which results in me leaving the theatre feeling rather miserable. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, shows are supposed to be emotive after all. But the finale of Billy always leaves me on a massive high, the complete opposite of the emotion scale. One of the side-effects of Billy (apart from leaving you thinking in a Geordie accent, and making you want to dance down the street) is that you leave the theatre grinning from ear to ear. And the finale very much has a lot to do with this!
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."

Pratchett.
Thomas
Ballet Girl

Post by Thomas »

burtond wrote:Another thought on the final scene:
I find myself unable to start my applause until the final slow curtain has descended completely. This is because I need to hear (uninterrupted) those final few bars of music which to me are the most important in the show. i do wish the rest of the audience would wait until the curtain has fallen compeltely - sadly this is probably never going to happen - but they are missing the emotional highlight of the show (in my view)
Of course after that, you can't stop me 'clapping' with gusto and enthusiasm.

(Forgive me for going on and on about this! ;) )
I do understand this very well. Lately I had been to Beethovens 9th symphony and the audience clapped after each movement which is bad enough. But there is a silent spot in the last movement when the music is very emotional. And some people started to clap and so ruined the moment.
Leon 1, Fox 5, Ollie 8.5, Tom 3.5, Dean 11, Rhys 8, Aaron 5, Scott 5, Josh 4, Adam 4, Ryan 4

Return to “Information/Questions about BETM”