Thomas
Ballet Girl

Re: March 2010 Reviews - London

Post by Thomas »

Saturday Evening March 13th 2010 – UK – London

Billy - Dean
Michael – George
Debbie – Fleur (but I'm unsure)

My fifth show, my fifth Billy. If this continues then we will have some debuts next week, but I hope and am pretty sure, that I can see some of them again. Dean is obviously a "ballet Billy" and this pleasantly complements the Billy cast. Perfect in the Swan Lake scene and brilliant in Electricity. That was the first time for me to realize, that the music really differs depending of the Billy playing. Dean also made a strong expression in Angry Dance.

Express yourself was really good, as both of them were obviously having fun and were grinning at each other.

I will elaborate on the other scences in the next week.

Greetings to the nice family that sat beside me in B16-B18 :)

A good show with standing ovations in the end.
Leon 1, Fox 5, Ollie 8.5, Tom 3.5, Dean 11, Rhys 8, Aaron 5, Scott 5, Josh 4, Adam 4, Ryan 4
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Lovely reviews Thomas for both Friday and Saturday evening performances. Looking forward to meeting with you on Monday for what will be a superb show. How do I know? There are lots of Forum members attending and there will be lots of support for the cast. That always makes for a great evening.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Thomas wrote:My fifth show, my fifth Billy.
Your very lucky for it to work out that way!! ;) :)
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks everybody for the great reviews.

Thomas you are so fortunate to get 5 Billys in 5 shows. I hope I get to see all 4 present Billys when I am down the week after next.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Thomas
Ballet Girl

Post by Thomas »

Forgot an important piece on Friday: the show was simultaniously translated in sign language. That was new to me. I wouldn't have thought, that deaf people can really take something out of a Musical - obviously I am wrong. And the Lady who did the translation was really expressing all the emotion that was going on (at least for me). Really impressive!
Leon 1, Fox 5, Ollie 8.5, Tom 3.5, Dean 11, Rhys 8, Aaron 5, Scott 5, Josh 4, Adam 4, Ryan 4
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Thomas wrote:Forgot an important piece on Friday: the show was simultaniously translated in sign language. That was new to me. I wouldn't have thought, that deaf people can really take something out of a Musical - obviously I am wrong. And the Lady who did the translation was really expressing all the emotion that was going on (at least for me). Really impressive!
Wow. I'm with you Thomas. But how fantastic to make Billy Elliot accessible to everyone. Wonder if they do anything for the Blind/Partially sighted as well.
In my business we are required to think all the time about accessiblity. Wouldn't it be great if BETM was the first truly accessible musical in the West End.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Dancer
Ballet Girl

Post by Dancer »

Saturday evening 13th March 2010

Dean-Charles, George and Fleur, with Caroline Deverill as Mrs Wilkinson.

An excellent show which just flew by! Everybody was on top form including the superb orchestra which was loud, crisp and clear! The last time I saw the show in London was again with Dean (his opening night :D ) and George! They make an excellent pair and were fighting back the giggles in Expressing Yourself - something must have amused them! George did a very funny extended build up to Dean's Swan Lake which had the audience in stitches!

For some reason a stage hand came on stage as Billy got on his bed to wind up his alarm clock (which I couldn't actually see from row B) but the show wasn't stopped and the scene continued as normal. Caroline Deverell is a very good Mrs Wilkinson. She is quite a tough lady who only really softened to Billy towards the end.

Dean was just as good as when I last saw him :D . He has fantastic diction and can be quite aggressive at times in his acting, singing and dancing, really emphasising Billy's anger and frustration. I'm so glad I got to see Dean again, and although the audience was pretty quiet he got a well deserved standing ovation at the end!

After the show I was able to wish happy birthday to Ann Emery who said she hopes to still be playing Grandma in another five years!
PrincessJellyBabies
Audience Member

Post by PrincessJellyBabies »

Friday 12th March 2010
Billy - Tom
Michael – George
Debbie – Emily

I've never been great at any type of writing (be it creative, blogs, reviews) so bear with me as I stumble through a review.
Second time seeing Billy, and I have to say, it was just as good, if not better then the first time. I also had the privilege of introducing my sister and dad to the show.
I know my dad, who's deaf, absolutely adored the show, and thought the interpreter was great. He didn't miss out on any of the dialogue related jokes, and was even wiping away a tear during The Letter (along with most of us in the theatre actually, Tom acted the whole scene out marvelously, with just the right amount of emotion.)
As for my sister.. Well, after the first act, I think she sat there speechless for at least half a minute, before just turning around and saying "I see why you love it so much"

Last time I saw it was with Jake, and as fantastic as he was, there was just something about George I just fell in love with, and I couldn't stop smiling throughout Expressing Yourself, the little boy's a genius!
Tom Holland, the Billy himself was just (as John Barrowman says) Fantastic, Fantastic,Fantastic! His angry dance was just so angry, with the final cry chilling me and giving me the shivers. His Electricity was amazing, and he let himself have a well deserved smile at the (seemingly) endless applause.
One thing I have to mention is how great his acting skills are, knowing exactly how long to hold a pause for, and how to deliver the lines in the most effective way. And the sheer emotion when singing The Letter, I think I cried at both that and the Reprise, along with my sister! Good thing we had our tissues ready :)
One thing that did irritate me was the audience seemed to be in a rush to leave, not waiting for the music to end, but I guess people had trains to catch etc. However, I for one, would've liked to stay in my seat and savour the last bits of Billy Elliot emotion :)

So as I stepped out of the Victoria Palace and back into the harsh reality of the London Underground, I was already planning my next trip back :D
Amy x

Thurs 29th Oct 2009 (Matinee) - Fox, Jake, Fleur

Friday 12th March 2010 - Tom, George. Emily

West End Angry Dance. Over Broadway Angry Dance. Always.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Monday 15th March 2010 - UK London

Superb, brilliant, awesome, fantastic, exhillarating, emotional, WOW! WOW! WOW!
This was the best show I've seen - too tired to write the review tonight, will do it on the train tomorrow.
Watch this space.
Thomas
Ballet Girl

Post by Thomas »

PrincessJellyBabies wrote:One thing that did irritate me was the audience seemed to be in a rush to leave, not waiting for the music to end, but I guess people had trains to catch etc. However, I for one, would've liked to stay in my seat and savour the last bits of Billy Elliot emotion :)
Same for me - did I mention it before? ;) But it was not just this show, it seems to be normal.

Return to “Reviews Archive”