burtond
Michael

Re: March 2010 Reviews - London

Post by burtond »

Monday 8th March 2010 – UK – London

Billy - Fox
Michael – Connor
Debbie – Emily

Dad – David Bardsley; Tony – Craig Gallivan; Mrs W – Jo Riding; Mr B – Sean Kingsley; Grandma – Ann Emery; George – David Nellist; Dead Mum – Rhona McGregor; Older Billy – Barnaby Meredith; Ballet Dancer in cream tights – Sergio Giacomelli; Big Davy - Phil Snowden; Musical Director – Chris Hatt.

It was a lovely experience to catch Fox again in his final few weeks as Billy. He truly is fantastic in the role and a pleasure to watch especially the nods and winks with other cast members on stage that are not necessarily part of the planned action. His performance was animated and lively whilst being sensitive in all the appropriate places. He had great fun working with Connor in ‘Expressing Yourself’ – watching Connor is sometimes like watching a seasoned pro especially when he turns on the ‘Operatic Tenor’ voice. His Electricity was mind-blowing as usual – what more can I say!. One thing I did notice about Fox this evening was his singing voice. It seems more relaxed these days - a little less volume, perhaps because he doesn’t want to push his ageing voice beyond its natural capability BUT, it was lovely to hear, gentle, passionate and emotional and it suited his performance completely.

I was surrounded by ‘first timers’ this evening and had the opportunity to speak at length to a group from Portugal sat immediately behind me. They felt the show was remarkable and were particularly impressed with the talent and abilities of the children. I told them to look out for ‘Electricity’ and judging by the noise at the end of Fox’s flip, they thoroughly enjoyed it.

Great night again everyone. Looking forward to tomorrow.

David Burton
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
butterfly33
Audience Member

Post by butterfly33 »

Do you watch every Monday and Tuesday David?
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

butterfly33 wrote:Do you watch every Monday and Tuesday David?
Hi Butterfly33

I tend to watch the show every time I find myself working in London - for me its a way to get out of the Hotel, avoid big Hotel meals and see something that makes me feel brilliant. It also, from time to time, allows me to meet like-minded musical theatre enthusiasts (or BETM enthusiasts!) .

At the moment, I find myself in the London area two or three days a week -usually Monday and Tuesday - hence my attendance on these days of the week.

David
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
ilovefoxjacksonkeen
Tall Boy

Post by ilovefoxjacksonkeen »

burtond wrote:
Hi Butterfly33

I tend to watch the show every time I find myself working in London - for me its a way to get out of the Hotel, avoid big Hotel meals and see something that makes me feel brilliant. It also, from time to time, allows me to meet like-minded musical theatre enthusiasts (or BETM enthusiasts!) .

At the moment, I find myself in the London area two or three days a week -usually Monday and Tuesday - hence my attendance on these days of the week.

David
You will have seen my friend at billy elliot last night and you will see her again tonight! She is the first dancing dress in expressing yourself and she is the ballet girl with a purple t-shirt on if you are looking out for her.
Billy Elliot <3
08/8/09- Fox
14/8/09 - Ollie
19/9/09- Fox
17/10/09- Fox
06/11/09- Fox
12/12/09- Fox
24/1/10 - Ollie
27/3/10- Fox
Fox Jackson-Keen! <3
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

I'll look out for her ilovefoxjacksonkeen - can we abbreviate your name? ;)
ilovefoxjacksonkeen
Tall Boy

Post by ilovefoxjacksonkeen »

burtond wrote:I'll look out for her ilovefoxjacksonkeen - can we abbreviate your name? ;)
hahah yeah, ILFJK :P
Billy Elliot <3
08/8/09- Fox
14/8/09 - Ollie
19/9/09- Fox
17/10/09- Fox
06/11/09- Fox
12/12/09- Fox
24/1/10 - Ollie
27/3/10- Fox
Fox Jackson-Keen! <3
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Hi ILFJK (thats better!)

I did look out for your friend this evening and yes - she was there exactly as you stated. Thanks for mentioning her, it was an opportunity for me to focus in on the Ballet Girls again and appreciate how much skill and entertainment they bring to the show.

I never would have guessed that underneath the big dresses were ballet girls - it must be very hot in there and difficult to move with such cumbersome costumes.

Nevertheless, she was a joy to watch - very good indeed.

DB
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

ilovefoxjacksonkeen wrote:
burtond wrote:
Hi Butterfly33

David
You will have seen my friend at billy elliot last night and you will see her again tonight! She is the first dancing dress in expressing yourself and she is the ballet girl with a purple t-shirt on if you are looking out for her.

Are you friends with the twins ??? I think one of them wears a purple top xx
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Tuesday 9th March 2010 – UK – London

Billy - Ollie
Michael – Jake
Debbie – Francesca

Dad – Joe Caffrey; Tony – Craig Gallivan; Mrs W – Jo Riding; Mr B – Sean Kingsley; Grandma – Ann Emery; George – David Nellist; Dead Mum – Rhona McGregor; Older Billy – Barnaby Meredith; Ballet Dancer in cream tights – Sergio Giacomelli; Big Davy - Phil Snowden; Musical Director – Matt Malone.

I would never have expected Ollie to bring in a performance like last Tuesday 2nd March because that, in my view was very special and exceptional, but he did. Tonight was another very special , expressive, emotional and passionate performance from this little star – vibrant and full of energy but delicate and sensitive too. He is a very likeable Billy and his attention to detail make for a powerful and moving performance. This guy has come on in leaps and bounds since he first expressed an interest in BE (not first hand knowledge – just what I have read) and any shyness and lack in confidence has been totally overcome. His performance of Billy the character is perfection and 100% believable.

Another awesome show – great evenings entertainment. Looking forward to next week.

DB
Thomas
Ballet Girl

Post by Thomas »

Friday 12th March 2010 – UK – London

Billy - Tom
Michael – George
Debbie – Emily

Think it's my time to write some reviews. Unfortunately you are all spoiled with the perfect reviews of Burtond and others. I will keep myself much shorter.

This was my fourth BETM performance (I have attended ;) ) and also my fourth Billy. Whenever I see a new Billy I first have to get used to him and at the end I am wondering, whether I had just seen the best Billy ever. That was the same yesterday. Tom was wonderful energetic, especially of cource in Electricity. For quite some time he kept a straight face at the end of that scene, while the audience did not stop clapping. It was like a battle and in the end we won, as Tom awarded us with a smile. But already before that scene in the Swan Lake scene I had to realize what an expressive dancer he is. It was the first time I had to cry during this scene.

George as Michael is simply a perfect match for me. He seems to love this role and also loves to play with the audience. What a loss when he leaves!

I only want to mention one other member of the cast: Caroline Deverill as Mrs. Wilkinson. What a great singer she is!

All in all it was a wonderful performance with a well deserved standing ovation at the end. And again it iritated me, that everybody was preparing to leave while the music was still playing.

Regards - Thomas
Leon 1, Fox 5, Ollie 8.5, Tom 3.5, Dean 11, Rhys 8, Aaron 5, Scott 5, Josh 4, Adam 4, Ryan 4

Return to “Reviews Archive”