Durham NC

KR200
Small Boy

Re: Durham NC

Post by KR200 »

I wonder if the plan is to only tech 2-3 Billys per show? I would think at this point, almost a week in to performances, they would have at least 3 of them up and running. Two seems like a dangerous number to have.
Chicago
Billy: Giuseppe x1, JP x2, Marcus x2, Tommy x1, Cesar x2
Michael: Keean x4, Dillon x3, Jack x1
Debbie: Maria x8, TB: Spencer x6, Kennedy x2, SB: Mark x6, Elijah x2

NYC
Billy: David Ax1, Tanner x1, Trent x1
Michael: Keean x1, Frank x2
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

KR200 wrote:I wonder if the plan is to only tech 2-3 Billys per show?
I don't believe there is a "plan" to only tech so many Billys. I believe Ellen hit the nail on the head a few posts ago -- it's a matter of fitting them in. Putting this show together from scratch was a huge undertaking. There were many parts to the puzzle and teching the Billys is just one piece. Remember, doing techs for each Billy involves the entire cast and crew -- in addition to doing 8 shows a week. But I still believe they will have four of the five Billys teched by the time they leave Durham next week.
KR200
Small Boy

Post by KR200 »

This is me being naive on how the whole process works (I work in healthcare and my extent on being part of a play is in grade school)...how long does it take to tech a show and do they have to re-tech each theater with each Billy? Or would you assume since it is the same set and such that the modifications would be minor between cities?
Chicago

NYC
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

KR200 wrote:how long does it take to tech a show and do they have to re-tech each theater with each Billy? Or would you assume since it is the same set and such that the modifications would be minor between cities?
That's what I was wondering as well. Seems a little hard to believe that Michael Dameski, for example, wouldn't have been "teched" by now. With all his experience performing in the show, I would think by this time he would have been brought up to speed on the modifications that have been made which are different than the way he played it on Broadway.
BillyAddict
Tall Boy

Post by BillyAddict »

I am sure Michael was up to speed weeks ago what the Tech involves is lighting sound positioning timing etc and each Billy is different and it does as was said above require a whole cast input so it takes time.
167 Performances!

Lochie x 21.5; Nick x 11; Corey x 1; Rhys x 19; Rarmian x 17.75; Dayton x 24.75; Josh W-G x 18; Michael x 19; Josh D x 12; Daniel x 3; Tom x 1; Ollie G x 1; Fox x 1, Liam R x 2, Alex x 5, Cesar x 2, Tommy x 1, John Peter x 1, Peter x 4, Jacob x 2.
Scott x 30; Thomas x 28.25; Joel x 31; Landen x 33.75; Liam x 14; Jake x 1; Connor x 1; George x 1, Trevor x 4, Jake Evan x 3, Gabriel x 8, Keean x 2, Neil x 11.
Fiona x 18; Rosie x 25; Shannon x 23; Kelsi x 23; Prudence x 2; Lauren x 10; Cassandra x 15; Nina x 9; Isabelle x 12; Fleur x 2; Francesca x 1, Issy x 7, Maria x 4, Georgi x 17.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

KR200 wrote:how long does it take to tech a show and do they have to re-tech each theater with each Billy? Or would you assume since it is the same set and such that the modifications would be minor between cities?
The tech rehearsal is for the production, not the theater, and is normally done only once for a production for each of the actors performing in the show. A tech rehearsal can take several hours and my understanding is it's sometimes not done all at once, but on different days dependent upon everyone's availability. Also, let's not forget that the tech rehearsal is done equally for the benefit of the actors and for the crew running the show. Its purpose is to check lighting in concordance with the staged blocking and stage placement (for example, finding whether the performer is in the light hotspot or not), check the levels on the performers' microphones (and such levels would be marked for each of the Billys), check all interactions with the set, props and other actors, and generally make sure the director and designers are happy with all aspects of the production that can be seen or heard. This is especially important with regard to each of the lead actors in a show and no professional production would ever put an actor out on stage "cold" without this important run through (for both his/her and the crew's benefit).

As we know, of course, the problem with Billy Elliot is there are five actors in the title role who appear in virtually every scene and that means essentially five tech rehearsals, involving the entire crew and the core cast and that process takes a huge chunk of everyone's time.
Todd wrote:That's what I was wondering as well. Seems a little hard to believe that Michael Dameski, for example, wouldn't have been "teched" by now. With all his experience performing in the show, I would think by this time he would have been brought up to speed on the modifications that have been made which are different than the way he played it on Broadway.
As I said above, the tech rehearsal is equally important for the cast and crew. While it is true Michael has lots of experience in the role, there are differences in this production from the others he's appeared in, in everything from the set, to lines (which may lead to slightly different cueing), to a different cast and a different crew. Also, from the crew's perspective, there are differences, however minor, in each of the Billys’ portrayals, dance moves, etc.

From everything I've read and in conversations I've had with members of the cast, the order of "readyness" of the Billys is dependent upon many things but, bottom line, it's a decision made by the resident director and, unfortunately, we are not privy to all that goes into his decision on who gets teched first or in what order.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

The wait is over for Michael Dameski. He debuted at this afternoon's matinee.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Here's a review from the triangle arts and entertainment website:

http://triangleartsandentertainment.org ... great-fun/
johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Post by johnnyc »

The article says, "Although Billy Elliot could never be considered provocative or gritty, it is definitely a night of fun at the theater." It looks like the reviewer only skimmed the surface and missed much of what the play is communicating. :o
KR200
Small Boy

Post by KR200 »

porschesrule, thanks for the information on the tech aspects of the show. I really enjoy reading those kinds of posts. It fascinates me how smoothly these things actually work out and the audience has no idea what is involved.

More importantly...glad to see Michael made it into the rotation. Poor Giuseppe finally gets a break from every other show! I'm also eagerly awaiting Kylend to make his debut. I love the story how Klyend, like Jacob, went from TB to Billy. It just goes to show they cast the most talented boys they can find.

Also will be waiting for Daniel to come out of retirement!
Chicago

NYC

Return to “Billy Elliot the Musical - N. Amer./Int'l Tour”