Re: April 2010 Reviews - London

Post by Meagan312 »

I saw Connor D too, he was AMAZING! Hilarious! :D
Aus
22.03.09 - Michael.Joel.Isabelle
14.06.09- Josh D.Landen.Nina
UK
2.10.09 - Brad.Connor D.Francesca

It's like that there's a music playing in your ear, and I'm listening and I'm listening, and then I dissapear
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Flippin' 'eck KeefyM, it all kicks off when I'm away. What with Patc's experience the other Thursday and now your experience the following Wednesday there have been some very interesting shows missed - Not that I am wishing either technical problems or the replacement of Billy's mid-show as I don't think it does the show any good for the many Billy virgins that are in attendance. Of course for us regulars it is very fascinating indeed.
Regarding the replacement of Billy's mid-show, I agree that it would be far better to provide the audience with more information so that they can sit back and enjoy the rest of the show without thinking the worst - but it seems to me that this is theatre protocol. I have witnessed a Billy change only once and on this occasion the Theatre Manager - Chantel - went on the stage and stated that Tom was 'indisposed' and that the role of Billy would be taken by Dean. This really is insufficient information to allow a concerned audience to get quickly back into the show. Come on Theatre management, break the mold and set a new precedent! ;)
Back to Billy on Monday night with a Pole Position seat (B15) - absolutely cannot wait!
David
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

I believe in NY at least once there was no announcement at all. As I recall, there was one performance where Tommy played Billy and Trent played tall boy. At the start of Act 2, they reversed!

I agree that a change in the middle of the show does certainly break the audience's ability to identify with Billy for a bit.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

ERinVA wrote:I believe in NY at least once there was no announcement at all. As I recall, there was one performance where Tommy played Billy and Trent played tall boy. At the start of Act 2, they reversed!

I agree that a change in the middle of the show does certainly break the audience's ability to identify with Billy for a bit.
Goodness me, that must have been very confusing for the audience! :o
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
KeefyM
Michael

Post by KeefyM »

Well it certainly did all kick-off on Wednesday David(burtond), but it seems to have settled down again & I'm really glad to say that after Wednesday nights events, both Saturday's matinee & evening performances went very well – No tech problems etc. :D

Saturday 17th April – Matinee :)

Billy – Tom
Michael – Jake
Debbie – Francesca

Another excellent & faultless performance as usual by Tom with great emotion again during his signature songs - The Letter & Letter Reprise & reducing various audience members to tears. He was on top form & looked to be really enjoying himself throughout the whole show today. Also great as usual on the timing of his reactions, pauses etc.
Jake Pratt also gave one of his best & funniest performances as Michael.

Great bit of improvising by Tom as well - when Tony throws the money back in the Scabs face it usual falls & scatters all over the place for Billy to gather it up & stuff as many notes as he can into the jar until they are all picked up. However today it all fell in a perfectly neat pile (like it was all stuck together) & did not fall all over the place. Therefore Tom had no scattered money to gather up & no need to stretch/reach over to pick up the notes, so he just held the entire pile of money in front of him in a fan shape & decided to count it all instead (counted each note individually), before putting the whole lot at once into the jar.

Great performances & another great show by all.

Having seen Tom twice since Howdo wrote that he was laughing during the Letter Reprise, are you definitely sure Howdo that Tom was laughing as in the many times I have seen him & certainly in the 2 times since it was written, I have paid more attention to the Letter Reprise & when he is crying during this, he shakes his shoulders a lot in a manner that looks like uncontrollable laughter, so can understand why it would be interpreted like this & I'm not for one minute doubting you Howdo, just that I can now see since it was written about the laughing where it may be interpreted from & maybe it was on that occasion, something or someone must have made him laugh (they are kids after all), but just can't see him doing it & as written perviously by pinknick103 & others, these are Toms signature songs/scenes for the reason no other than he does them with sheer perfection. - it's the fantastic & brilliant Billy that is Tom Holland - enough said.

(sorry to bring this back up - but since Tom was on, thought I would mention it). But then if he did laugh that time,
then I totally agree with Muppet - it was naughty of you Tom - and don't do it again.

Saturday 17th April – Evening :)

Billy - Ollie
Michael – Connor Doyle
Debbie – Emily

Another great show & Ollie brilliant as usual including a lot more swearing than normal during Angry Dance.

I thought Ollie's Electricity was great on Wednesday night – well tonight it was bloody fantastic - definitely one of his best ever.

Also just while I remember, as I meant to comment on it before, as he has always done it, but I love the little laugh Ollie gives when Michael asks him “Do you get to wear a Tutu” as he is the only Billy that does this.

Another perfect show this evening with Connor Doyle been even more amazing & funnier than usual – absolutely love him as Michael (yet I didn't warm to him the very first time I seen him last year - which I believe is the case with a lot of people who also now think he is great).

Love his grumpy/in-the-huff face when Billy initially says No to his requests when he is dressing Billy up in Expressing Yourself & as I mentioned previously, love his brilliant dancing during Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher which just gets better & better each time I see it as he seems to be really enjoying it & the interaction with the cast as himself rather than as Michael.

David Nellist decided to update his front of curtain routine (as he does from time to time), as after the usual “Are you enjoying yourself mate”, "Well tell that to your face” instead of saying “Sitting there with a face like a Sunderland fan”, said “Sitting there with a face like you’ve booked a flight to Iceland”. - nice & topical which got a great laugh from the audience.

Disappointly there were a lot of empty seats in the Stalls & a few in the Dress Circle during Saturday evenings performance – not what I would expect for a Saturday night – it was more like midweek audience levels. Never seen the Stalls Bar & Front Stalls Bar so quiet on a Saturday night.

Well done to Tom, Jake, Ollie & Connor & the rest of the cast for great performances & shows today.
(Come to think of it, well done the automation systems for not breaking down today or the last few days & repeating Wednesday nights carry on).
Also well done to everyone that came & seen the shows today- for being audiences that were bloody quiet & respectful at last.

I also have to agree with burtond in the above post in that it must have been very confusing for the audience in NY when Tommy played Billy & Trent played Tall Boy & at the start of Act 2, they reversed!. I know if I had been sitting in that audience, I would be there thinking, what the hell is going on!. Anyway at least that didn't happen on Wednesday & more importantly it is great to hear that Dean is ok & was back performing again on Friday night.

Cheers
Keith
jacob
Ballet Girl

Post by jacob »

Saturday matinee April 17th

Tom, Jake, Francesca with full adult cast including Romy as Grandma

A few thoughts to add to Keefy's review above.
Firstly, absolutely nothing went wrong :D . No one got hurt or ill and all the scenery worked. The theatre was almost full which was a little suprising in view of the glorious Spring weather outside. I had wondered if the aircraft standstill might have affected the tourist bookings but the American couple next to me in the queue seemed untroubled by the situation.
There was a Small Boy and Tall Boy that I had not seen before (wish their names were on display somewhere). SB was very confident and lively. This is such an interesting role that I increasingly think of him as Younger Billy, a thought stimulated by the interview with Liam and Rhys. Liam described Rhys as like looking back in time at himself. SB gets picked up and carried by adult cast members at several points and seemed to thoroughly enjoy this.
Tom and Jake were on great form. Jake is using pauses to great effect now and these enhance the impact of his next line. The start of Act 2 has reverted to the traditional banter between George and the audience in true pantomime style. This is one of the few parts of the Show where Billy comes on stage but has nothing to do except hold the bucket :) Tom seems to enjoy this scene as a passive observer of the silliness going on around him!
There seem to have been some new costumes purchased :o . Several of Billy's stripey polo shirts that he wears in the early scenes looked new to me. So too, the trainers that he wears for the scene in Act 2 when he comes back from school. I thought that Debbie's shoulder bag looked new as well.
As always, I was impressed by Tom's performance. He was relaxed where relaxed was appropriate and emotional (happy/sad) where that was appropriate. At several points he stooped to pick up objects from the stage that could have caused problems to dancers and managed this in an unobtrusive way. I felt that he enjoyed the Show enormously.................no stage fright these days. The audience seemed rather reserved in the first Act but came alive as the second Act gathered pace. Electricity went particularly well and the audience responded accordingly. Sobs were to be heard from Row B during the Letter scenes! Despite the presence of friends and family, Tom remained entirely focused and in role until the final curtain.
It was a pleasure to see Tom greeted by Dad and young Paddy (with scooter!) at the Stage Door. The road is closed until May 23rd and this makes Stage Door gatherings much easier..............although in fact the child cast came out of an adjacent Fire Exit. Goodness knows where the Billy Bus can stand these days as the road in front of the theatre is down to one lane :shock:
I had spent several hours beforehand outdoors in the sunshine and was a bit sleepy in the early part of the performance. By the time I came out of the theatre I was invigorated, buzzing and full of the joys of Spring. Thank you Tom and cast sooo much.
and ain't that the truth.
'Are we human or are we dancers?' The Killers

Finish
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

KeefyM wrote:Disappointly there were a lot of empty seats in the Stalls & a few in the Dress Circle during Saturday evenings performance – not what I would expect for a Saturday night – it was more like midweek audience levels. Never seen the Stalls Bar & Front Stalls Bar so quiet on a Saturday night.
I'm only guessing but the show does get a lot of foreign visitors. Maybe they had tickets but could not get to the UK because of the flights situation.

Thanks everybody for the reviews. Keep them coming.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Meagan312
Ballet Girl

Post by Meagan312 »

“Sitting there with a face like you’ve booked a flight to Iceland”.
Hahahaha thats a good one. Its good that they keep the jokes topical, I think it makes it funnier, well for people like me when we don't have to think too hard about them. :D
Aus
22.03.09 - Michael.Joel.Isabelle
14.06.09- Josh D.Landen.Nina
UK
2.10.09 - Brad.Connor D.Francesca

It's like that there's a music playing in your ear, and I'm listening and I'm listening, and then I dissapear
xXMiss-MeXx
Audience Member

Post by xXMiss-MeXx »

Omg, I've only saw it once and some of you more than 20 times! Thats.... just wow :O
But doesn't it cost loads of money? Or can u buy a "memberpass" for like 10 times? Or an other action? Cauz if u go about 20/30 times it's about... what... 40 x 20/30 pound?? :|
And I was wondering, what are the best (not 2 expensive) seats? I'm going to London (I hope so) and I'm going to the muscial but last time I went they've bought me a ticket so I didn't knew where I was gonna sit but now I have to choose by myzelf it would be nice to know where the best seats are :)
I suppose it's like forgetting, Losing who you are,
And at the same time, Something makes you whole...

It's like there's a music, Playing in your ear,
And I'm listening, I'm listening, And than I dessapear...

It's like when you've been crying, And you're empty and your full,
I don't know what it is, it's hard to tel...

And suddenly I'm flying, Flying like a bird,
Like electricity, electricity, Sparks inside of me,
And I'm free, I'm free... x3
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

xXMiss-MeXx wrote:And I was wondering, what are the best (not 2 expensive) seats? I'm going to London (I hope so) and I'm going to the muscial but last time I went they've bought me a ticket so I didn't knew where I was gonna sit but now I have to choose by myzelf it would be nice to know where the best seats are :)
Have a look at this thread. You may get some information there. If you still need more information then please feel free to post on that thread and people will happily respond.

http://www.billyelliottheforum.me.uk/fo ... p?f=9&t=76
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews Archive”