April 2010 Reviews - London

AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Re: April 2010 Reviews - London

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

When I first read about the giggling, I was reminded that my friend thought it odd that Tom appeared to be laughing in the first letter scene (5th anniversary show). She almost immediately realised her mistake and by the end of the scene felt Tom did well to keep so composed such was what appeared to be copious amount of tears. It sounds as though his emotions may have finally got the better of him.

Alex
sleepylins
Ballet Girl

Post by sleepylins »

pinknick103 wrote:R U sure he was giggling??? Sometimes I think it may sound a bit like he is giggling, but its the way he breathes fast as though he is crying. Being close to the stage, you can see he def crying, but if u were further back, and unable to see his face, maybe it could be misinterpreted as giggling xx
I am with you there Nicola and thought exactly the same thing, i mean although we werent there to witness in person.I do find it hard to imagine Tom would giggle during the letter scene (if he did then he did) it is becoming one of (or is one) of his signature scenes, he is so focused in that scene.
Billy:-
Coreyx5, Samx1, Josh.Fx8, Trentx5, Laytonx7, Hoganx2, Fox x10, Tomx10, Tannerx6, Bradx5,Olliex6,Deanx5,Rhysx4,Aaronx2,Scottx2,Josh.Bx0,Ryanx1, Adamx0
Michael:-
Laytonx1, Shaunx14 1/5, Jontyx10 4/5, Danielx4, Lewisx9, Deanx4, Georgex5 , Jakex10, Connor.Dx3,Connor.Kx12, Joex3,Reecex2,Connor.Lx1
Debbie:-
Leighx1, Leycix6, Amyx7, Scarlettx15, Meganx6, Aliciax6, Annabellex6, Fleurx11,Francescax12,Emily.Sx8, Emily.Wx1
79 WONDERFUL SHOWS
Howdo
Audience Member

Post by Howdo »

He was definately giggling. The Letter I was very moved by the crying and can assure you I can tell the difference between giggling and crying. I was in row H so near enough to tell the difference. I did state that it was during "the letter (reprise)"
sleepylins
Ballet Girl

Post by sleepylins »

Well fair enough. :D Would love to know what gave him the giggles.The letter and reprise is becoming or is Toms signature piece because he delivers it so well and is the most emotional(for me, not taking away from other billys performances.) of any Billy have witnessed.
Billy:-
Coreyx5, Samx1, Josh.Fx8, Trentx5, Laytonx7, Hoganx2, Fox x10, Tomx10, Tannerx6, Bradx5,Olliex6,Deanx5,Rhysx4,Aaronx2,Scottx2,Josh.Bx0,Ryanx1, Adamx0
Michael:-
Laytonx1, Shaunx14 1/5, Jontyx10 4/5, Danielx4, Lewisx9, Deanx4, Georgex5 , Jakex10, Connor.Dx3,Connor.Kx12, Joex3,Reecex2,Connor.Lx1
Debbie:-
Leighx1, Leycix6, Amyx7, Scarlettx15, Meganx6, Aliciax6, Annabellex6, Fleurx11,Francescax12,Emily.Sx8, Emily.Wx1
79 WONDERFUL SHOWS
pinknick103
Tony

Post by pinknick103 »

Well wether it be Letter or Letter Reprise, many of us have seen Tom do both of these songs on more than several occasions - I have never witnessed him giggling, so guessing that on this occasion, something or someone must have been making him laugh. As said earlier, these are Toms signature songs for the reason no other than he does them with sheer perfection.
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

pinknick103 wrote:Well wether it be Letter or Letter Reprise, many of us have seen Tom do both of these songs on more than several occasions - I have never witnessed him giggling, so guessing that on this occasion, something or someone must have been making him laugh. As said earlier, these are Toms signature songs for the reason no other than he does them with sheer perfection.
totally agree pinknick103
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Friday 9th April

Tom, Jake, Francesca

This was quite a brilliant evening at the VPT with tons of excitement and intrigue for any Forum members present but I didn't see anyone else there that I recognised. What happened proved beyond all doubt, as if there was any, that the creative abilities of this company and cast are second to none. The thing is, though, that, unless you were familiar with the show, "nay-one will have noticed".

Signs of impending problems appeared as early as 7.10pm when people were still not being allowed to enter the auditorium. Despite this by 7.30pm everyone was seated but the safety curtain was still down and the MD had not taken up his position. Shortly afterwards an announcement was made that there were technical problems and there would be a short delay. The show started about 7.42pm and all seemed fine. The Small Boy was definitely new and is the first red-headed SB that I can remember.

The excitement and intrigue began following the Stars Look Down when the stairs with kitchen failed to materialise and, indeed, they were not used all evening. So well did they cope that, by the interval, my feeling was, "Who needs a set of stairs anyway?" So, I will try as best I can to recall exactly how each scene was handled. All directions described are as from the audience viewpoint.

Breakfast scene
Dad came from the right side shouting back to an offstage Billy to get himself up out of bed. The kitchen cooker/sink was set up at the very far right entrance. I couldn't see if the frying pan was actually on fire as the other part of that set (that Billy takes his jaffa cake from near the end) was in the way. As the scene progressed Billy came from the right with his usual toothbrush routine. When Dead Mum came in he found his trainers on a chair at the right side set.

Angry Tony/Dad Kitchen scene
As the stage darkened Tony came in from the left middle carrying the crowbar and a small stool that he placed centre stage. He sat on the stool as he tied his shoelaces and the scene went on as normal. Dad came in from the right side. At the end, Billy, raged and went and sat on the stool venting and Mrs W came in.

Pre Angry Dance scene
As Billy told Mrs. W he'd "put his alarm on" the bed actually came up but stayed at floor level. Billy went over, set his alarm and lay on the bed and did his usual restless night scene. BTW, where music normally accompanies the rising stairs, Matt cut it short. Dad and the injured Tony came in from the right and took their usual places at the kitchen table. Billy woke up and continued as normal trying to sneak out. After the row in the kitchen had ended and Dad had stormed off the angry Billy went back to the bed, sat on it, took his soft shoes off and threw them away as usual. He then did the usual Angry Dance beginning the only difference being the bed was at floor level. He did raise the bed up perpendicular as normal and slammed it down before moving back to the main stage floor. Michael rushed in from the left as usual and came around the descending bed to the front but the adult cast member actually grabbed him and held onto him as they exited right.

Arrival of RBS acceptance letter
Ths began as normal but, again, with just the bed visible at floor level. To read the letter Billy sat on the bed and fiddled around with the envelope and, as he opened it, Dad, Tony and Grandma circled around very slowly with no jumping up and down. Billy tumbled sideways on the bed and Dad moved a little closer with a comment "Well, Son?" or something like that. Billy jumped up, threw the letter on the bed and went over to his usual position. Tony picked the letter off the bed and everything was normal after that.

Hope I haven't left anything out. Ask any questions if you like.

It was quite fascinating to be sitting there enjoying the show and, at the same time, wondering how would they do such and such scene that will be coming up shortly. I have to tell you that, despite the so-called technical problems, this was a brilliant, brilliant show and I know that afterwards an audience member went up to a member of staff and asked "what were the technical problems, then?" which says it all.

Tom's Letter performance was so real that, amidst the ensuing silence, one poor woman a few rows back was sobbing uncontrollably quite loudly.

To catch up on time David Nellist did not do his usual front of curtain routine. He, Tony and Billy all appeared in front of curtain together and got on with it.

Pat
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Wow Pat, that was certainly a show not to miss - but having said that, it sounds like you were the only one there from the 'Club' who thankfully could capture the unique moments.

Thanks for a very graphic illustration of the show with particular reference to the absence of set - it must have been absolutely thrilling to see such an unusual performance.

What takes your breath away in these circumstances is just how effortlessly the highly professional cast of adults and children and the crew (who must have been ruinning around in circles) adapt to, and find effective workarounds to the problems.

I absolutely love this show - everything about the show and everyone in it - things like this just reinforce the whole committment, attitude and respect I have for it.

Hopefully things are sorted out now.

Many thanks Pat - love your reviews - you're very much part of the BETM experience too.

David
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Howdo
Audience Member

Post by Howdo »

patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks, David, for your very kind comments.

I should, of course, have added that everything was back fine and dandy at the Saturday Matinee and another fabulous show this time with Rhys, Connor K and Fleur.

Pat

Return to “Reviews Archive”