June 2010 - Reviews - London

dwallen
Small Boy

Re: June 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by dwallen »

Thursday June 24th - Evening Performance

Another wonderful show with a stunning cast. Ollie was Billy and he was outstanding as usual. I saw the show tonight from Row B for the first time and it was really interesting. Although it has a restricted view i.e. you can't see their legs when they go to the back of the stage - you can see their faces. I was astounded by the way in which everyone stayed in character all the time. ollie never strayed from the part he was playing. His facial expressions showed just the right amount of emotion.

I saw things in tonights performance that I have never seen before when I was further back. It was a great evening and I enjoyed every bit of it except - this is the second time i have seen the new version of B to B and I am not convinced by it. Ollie was fab and his skipping and foot work were perfect but overall I think the scene has lost more than it gains. However, I will reserve judgement until I see it again.

That's all for now as the train is about to leave the station and the signal will go. I might write more tomorrow.
67 wonderful shows
21 marvellous Billys
Travis, Sam, Layton, Corey, Josh, Hogan, Fox, Brad, Tom, Tanner, Ollie, Dean, Rhys, Scott, Ryan, Josh Baker, Adam, Harris and Kaine, Harrison and Tade
2 First Nights - Ollie and Dean-Charles
8 Last Nights - Layton, Hogan, Brad, Fox, Tom, Ollie, Scott and Dean.
6 Anniversaries - 4th, 5th plus the second 5th Anniversary (May 12th 2010), 6th (March 2011) 7th (May 12th 2012) 8th (May 11th 2013)
1 Gala Night - May 30th 2012 - celebrating 7th Anniversary and 3,000 show.
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

What a wonderful review billybuddies4eva! Now I know I have to come back very soon and finally see Dean. It wil be soon I know :P

And dwallen wow, I can't believe you managed to write a review so soon after the performance :o . I'm impressed! hope I manage to see Ollie again soon, he's so amazing :D
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Thursday 24th June 2010 – UK – London

Billy – Ollie

Michael – Jake

Debbie – Francesca

Dad – Joe Caffrey; Tony – Craig Gallivan; Mrs W – Genevieve Lemon ; Mr B – Sean Kingsley; Grandma – Romy Baskerville; George – David Nellist; Dead Mum – Samantha Seager; Older Billy - Barnaby Meredith; Ballet Dancer in cream tights – James Foster ; Big Davy - John Coates; Musical Director –; MM

I couldn’t plan this any better but for a second time this week, we have been fortunate enough to see the amazing Ollie in the role of Billy. What a fluke! And what a bonus for us as some of his biggest fans.

Together with Jake, Francesca and a predominantly ‘first team’ (with the exception of Romy as Grandma) we were treated to yet another fun-filled, intense and emotional , colourful and animated roller coaster ride of a show. I’ve seen it a few times now and many would expect me to become complacent about it - but it is impossible. It still has me gasping with awe, it still gets me on the edge of my seat, it still brings a tear to my eye and it still fills me with a great sense of well being so that when I leave the theatre, I am on a natural high which remains with me until the next visit.

To put this into perspective I would like to let you all into a little secret. This show, without any doubt whatsoever, has had an enormous impact on my business. I was first introduced to BETM in September 2009 and started coming in ernest in October 2009. My role within the business is to seek out and secure valuable term contracts as well as manage a geographically widespread team of communication professional s. This show has motivated me – it has taught me that success is down to determination i.e the gutsy determination Billy has to dance faced with sustained hostility all around him. This is what my job is like. The competition is fierce – times have never been as difficult but since October 2009 i.e since my relationship with this absolutely wonderful and inspirational show I have secured every single contract I have bid – yes 100% - that is unheard of (the acceptable norm would be 17-20%) Five major wins in as many months with another important major win on the horizon looming. Flippin’ ‘eck, I could bottle this and market it as the Sales way to success. So thank you Billy – actually thank you Fox because it was you who personally wowed me on the first three occasions I saw the show. But I need to thank all the Billys I have seen; Tom, Dean, Rhys, Aaron and Ollie because you all have or continue to play such an important part in my continued success.

Much as all the cast, Billy’s, Michaels and Debbies are wonderful, talented and inspirational, last night Ollie delivered another outstanding performance. What is it about this young guy? I don’t really know but he is able to captivate the audience in such a way as he has got them eating out of the palm of his hands – me included. Its magical. I suppose the answer is that it is the culmination of everything brought together that makes something great and for Ollie, I don’t believe there is any part of his performance, dance, singing, dialogue, accent etc., etc., that can be critisied. All the elements are equally great.

I’m not going to go on and on today – I’ve done all that before and to be honest, I can’t improve on what has been said in previous posts but I would like to single out ‘Electricity’ on this occasion. I can already hear the groans because everyone singles out ‘Electricity’ but hang about, I’m not about to wax lyrical about the dance, I want to talk about the lead in to the dance (the dance sequence of course was stunning!). What hit me last night was the way in which Ollie told the story in the opening song element of Electricity. These words forming the first two verses were sung with immense passion and meaning. Every line was crafted like a sculpture and delivered with such thought, passion and feeling. Ollie seemed to use every bit of range in his voice upper and lower regions, he used force and volume for bits like ‘ it’s a bit like feeling angry’ together with an angry face and a beating of his chest to delicately sung in an almost whispered voice for ‘and I’m free,I’m free’as he almost turns his back on the audition and leaves disappointed that in his view , he has failed. Yep, this was for me the edge of the seat stuff. It’s what differentiates an experienced and confident Billy from those less so.

So then, its off to work for me – another fabulous, challenging day ahead but lifes good, work is good, my Daughters with me and that is good – Thanks Billy, for everything.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Thursday 24th June matinee

Rhys, Joe and Fleur.

Interesting to read that BurtonD (David) has been motivated and inspired by the show with achievements beyond expectations. The show does exactly the same for me, it has without doubt changed my life for the better and the well being I feel both before and after the show is indescribable.
Rhys was on excellent form. A great shame we lost the angry dance and panto scene over a slight injury but the Billy virigns I was with still thoroughly enjoyed the show and now understand why I talk about the show incessantly. Both will return with their families. Where can I claim my commission (Is it on the same webpage where I can claim my frequent visitor discount)?
If I can be a bit critical, I like Joe's performance and he does look very cheeky, but he rushed his lines at times, particularly in the winter scene while conversely Geneveive had pauses which on occasion make it appear she was trying to remember her lines. This is most noticeable in the farewell scene. Both are finite, however, both the Billy virigns remarked upon the delivery and I couldn't defend them. Still remarkable performances all round as usual, I hate the show so much I won't be back until at least Saturday evening!

Alex
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Re Thursdays shortened matinee: What was it like like:

There was almost a riot when Angry was stopped
But Rhys was okay, thankfully he wasn't crocked
Sparks would have flown had they halted Electricity
But Rhys was sublime, that's good for publicity
A nightmare would've resulted had we lost the Dream
But both Rhys and Barnaby made up a dream team
If Boogie had gone I'd not shed a tear
Was the rope work okay, not really, oh dear,
But one thing is pressing where rehearsal does lack
The 50p went rolling again, yes, dropsy is back.

(And Gen made Rhys pick it up)!

Alex.
B19 to 22 tonight, potentially last show for 2 months - where's my depression pills).
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Love the Poem Alex - I think you should become the Billy Poet laureate (will have to check the spelling!)
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

burtond wrote:Billy Poet lauriette (will have to check the spelling!)
Good idea :D :D ;)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Billy Whiz wrote:
burtond wrote:Billy Poet lauriette (will have to check the spelling!)
Good idea :D :D ;)
Checked and corrected BW. Couldn't repair the quote though!
suesmith
Audience Member

Post by suesmith »

i noticed on thursday evening tracey atkinson was missing!
suesmith
Audience Member

Post by suesmith »

she wasn't there the whole show and mrs wilkinson had to direct her lines to susan parks !!

Return to “Reviews Archive”