June 2010 Reviews - NYC

johnnyc
Mr Braithwaite

Re: June 2010 Reviews - NYC

Post by johnnyc »

Friday, June 25

Tonight, it was Dayton and David B. Quite the pair. :lol: It was my first exposure to Dayton, and yes, I was blown away. So much so that I did something unusual (for me, anyway.) I looked up Dayton's mom at the stage door, and sang her son's praises. So she called Dayton over, so I could repeat my plaudits to him personally. Both Dayton and his mom came across as real nice people. And then Dayton and David B started clowning together for the many forum photographers. I couldn't get my camera out fast enough, but I'm sure the photos will be showing up on the forum soon enough. :D Let's just say, they are different.

There was applause at two unusual moments during the performance. Applause broke out first when Dayton spun across the entire stage during Solidarity, perhaps a testament to his incredible fast spins? Then Thommie was applauded when he appeared on stage after having a few drinks at the Rose and Crown. Someone who was at the Adult Workshop earlier today can better explain the reason for that applause.

A lot forum members were in attendance, thanks to that workshop I mentioned. We had a lot of fun chatting after the show. A wonderful evening on Broadway.
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Post by Musical Fanatic »

sctwins said
Stagedoor was really fun and crowded(met MF again!!*waves*).
It was nice to see you too.
Sam
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

sctwins wrote:Looking forward to others' reviews!!!!
Still experiencing my first ever Billython and a weekend of awesome that's so awesome it's awelots!

Will have MUCH to say about my three shows and the dance workshop but for now just want to say today was INCREDIBLE and WONDER-FULL! Looking forward to letting you all in on the fun soon but 6 hours' sleep last night and about to begin 6 hours' sleep now before trekking into the city again tomorrow for breakfast at Junior's.

Talk to you all soon!
Sean
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

A "Thriller" Of A Weekend
New post coming
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

A "Thriller" Of A Weekend

Friday June 25 5pm to 7pm
BE Workshop For Fans
The Star-Thommie Retter
The Organizer-Hugs
The Special Guests-Tessa Netting, David Alvarez and Trent Kowalik
The Fans-22 in number

Friday June 25 Eve
Billy- Dayton
Michael-David
SB-Luke
Mum-Liz Pearce
Clip L-Natalie Wisdom
Big Davey-Eric Gunhus

Sat June 26 Mat
Billy-Jacob
Michael-David
SB-Luke
Big Davey-Eric

Sat June 26 Eve
Billy-Liam
Michael-Jake
SB-Seth
Big Davey-Eric

Sun June 27 Mat
Billy-Michael
Michael-Jake
SB-Seth
Mrs W-Liz Pearce

Sun June 27 Eve
Billy-Alex
Michael-David
SB-Luke (last show)
Debbie-Izzy (Last Show)
George-David Hibbard

Something has been in the air at the Imperial this weekend. The place has been rocking out :D . Because of the workshop there has been a large number of forum members(both forums) in attendance at every show. A reunion of friends and acquaintances with Thommie and Hugs the ringleaders :D . The 3 shows have also been 100% sold-out with the help of TKTS :!: :!: :!: .

BE Workshop For Fans
Before we did the workshop we had a liquid courage :shock: :lol: meeting at the Houndstooth Pub. There was about a dozen in attendance :D . Thommie with the help of Hugs made us name-tags :oops: to wear. Thommie also made us individual folders for everyone in attendance. Inside were a color brochure for the workshop, a song sheet for the Fnale and a pass :lol: :D on a lanyard that reads BILLY ELLIOT THE MUSICAL V.I.P. Thommie, Trent, David and Tessa for the next hour tried to teach everyone the words, accent and dance steps to part of the Finale. By the way this is on video :lol: by Thommie's wife and a Friends Forum member. Can anyone say blackmail ;) . At 6:30 with Thommie's arrangement the four of them entertained us. Tessa was first. She did Popular from Wicked. Glinda being her dream role. You can find link for performance under her name or the BE Workshop post. Tessa makes fun and uses Trent for a prop :D :lol: . She was great. Thommie then did about a minute of a tap routine for us :D WOW. Trent then showed us why he was an Irish dance champ. Again we were wowed. Finally David did a piano solo that you can find a link to in the workshop post. The best description I can give for David's performance was tears in your eyes time. Talent absolutely amazing talent from David. A room full of fans went from dead shocked silence during the performance to screaming cheering and applause. Thommie then handed out signed certificates from the four stars to each participant. Finally we got 15 minutes to take photo's and get autographs signed. One other thing that he asked us to do which johnnyc refers to in a review was to cheer Tessa and himself full out when opportunity presented itself.

Friday night BE with Dayton and David starring and 20 plus forum members in attendance. They gave us an incredible show. What a wild and crazy night. Energy filled the Imperial all night long. What great crowds all weekend so far. David B seems to have reinvigorated the cast of BETMNY. We have had three superstar performances from the Billy's.

Shine/Solidarity
When Mrs W(Kate) calls Susan Parks(Tessa) a Spastic Starfish that was our signal to cheer Tessa at the top of our voices :D :lol:. Tessa in her tweets and blog said we made this her epic night and one she would never forget.

BTB
Thommie gets his entrance applause at the I got detained at the Rose and Crown. Thommie at the SD said that he felt like a B-way superstar.

Sorry about skipping around. Sun Eve is the next show I want to write about. Alex seems to be the designated Billy for leaving shows lately. He also did Trevor's last show. Besides Izzy and Luke two ensemble(Kyle DesChamps and Aaron Kaburick) left as well. Tessa has said on her formspring that 17 cast members will be leaving this summer. With some going to the tour and normal cast changeover.

Sam
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Musical Fanatic wrote:Tessa has said on her formspring that 17 cast members will be leaving this summer. With some going to the tour and normal cast changeover.
It's at this point in a show's life when it's determined just how good it is, when it turns over a large number of cast (and especially when the turnover includes losing original cast members) and continues on without missing a beat. This will be the first time, in such a compact timeframe, when the show has experienced extensive turnover. Yes, some key members of the show have left in the past (including the orginal three Billys and the original Mrs. W and Tony), but their leaving was one or two at a time, over a longer period of time.

But it's at times of larger turnover when the members of the creative team earn their keep, preparing replacement cast members to seamlessly blend in with remaining cast. A successful blend not only includes how professionally talented the new actors are, and how well, on stage, they play off of those veterans of the show who remain, but also (and just as importantly) how well they fit into the close knit family that has obviously been created within BETM off stage. The Broadway show has formed it's own persona, like any good sports team. That's so apparent from seeing pictures and videos of offstage cast events -- how well all the different personalities in the cast/crew play off each other to form the family-like atmosphere. That atmosphere is created with the cast of any show, but I think it's especially apparent in this show because of the large number of children in the cast.

To continue the metaphor, just like sports teams, an important ingredient to their success is how good the atmosphere is in the "clubhouse". When you change players, there's always the danger that balance could be shifted.

As the London production of the show has successfully performed these transitions multiple times (pretty much annually) in the five years plus of the show's existence, however, I have no doubt that the Broadway production will successfully make their transition as well.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

porschesrule wrote:As the London production of the show has successfully performed these transitions multiple times (pretty much annually) in the five years plus of the show's existence
I wasn't aware that they had had annual major cast changes at the Victoria Palace but there was one at the end of November in 2008. I think about 17 cast members left that weekend including a Billy, 2 Michaels, Jackie, Tony, Mrs Wilkinson and many ensemble members. This does not include ballet girls and Tall and Small Boys.

I came to the show on the following Monday full of apprehension knowing that we would have almost a complete new cast. They had obviously been working hard as they put on a great show. I'm sure the New York will be just the same.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Billy Whiz wrote:I wasn't aware that they had had annual major cast changes at the Victoria Palace
I will stand corrected if I'm wrong, but from what I've read there have been major changes each year at contract renewal time, especially within the three teams of ballet girls who make up about half of the total cast.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

porschesrule wrote:
Billy Whiz wrote:I wasn't aware that they had had annual major cast changes at the Victoria Palace
I will stand corrected if I'm wrong, but from what I've read there have been major changes each year at contract renewal time, especially within the three teams of ballet girls who make up about half of the total cast.
Actually I think the contracts are for six months but yes you are quite correct about the Ballet Girls. I thought you were meaning the adult cast.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Will post subsequent reviews for Friday night's performance, Saturday 2 PM's performance and a review of the workshop...once I write them haha...just first installment of 4 for now... =)

Thursday, June 24, 2010

When you’re on the precipice of awesome, anticipation is high and enthusiasm is only just starting to build. It would ultimately reach its apex for me at the end of the first half on Friday, but the awesome didn’t stop at all the whole weekend (more on that in my subsequent reviews).

On the way to the theatre Thursday evening, CJ-Rochester and TTheatreGuyLD spotted me on 42nd and 8th and we walked the rest of the way together. Outside the theatre we met up with a few other Forum members and then went in. My first ever Billython was about to begin…

BILLY: Alex Ko
Michael: Jake Evan Schwencke

This was my 14th time seeing the show. Up until now I had seen Corey in London, Trent, David, Kiril and Tommy, and then Michael Dameski on March 31st. So I was happy to be having this Billython so I could see more of the current crop of Billys. I was really looking forward to seeing Alex because of his sweet personality in interviews and at stage door.

A couple of things I noticed right from the start. Alex no longer looks like a little boy but now looks like a typical young teenager. Not tall or anything yet, but filling out more and just growing up (hopefully slowly). I wish him many more months in the role. The second thing I noticed was his knee wraps. I think it was Tommy I had seen with these once before. Not at all distracting, that’s important to note to anyone who hasn’t seen a Billy perform in wraps before. In fact after the initial noticing in the beginning, I completely forgot about them from then on.

Alex is a sweet Billy with a very tender side while still maintaining the complete believability that he’s a kid growing up in northern England. His comic timing and delivery are spot on, and he delivers lines perfectly. Even just a “hello” and a “nah” are so absolutely perfectly said that you just keep giggling longer than usual afterwards. And even though I sensed he emphasized the “just because I do ballet doesn’t mean I’m a puff ya know” line somewhat stronger than others, I think based on his beautiful comic timing he could probably pull off the Michael role hysterically too. He is just a joy to watch perform.

Comparing is a sticky subject, but I have found in all of my Billy experiences that each of them adds something to a role I’ve never seen before or been impressed by so much, and Alex is no exception. His tenderness and comic timing were a hit with me and a hit with the audience, and the excitement at stage door certainly showed how much they loved him.

Another quick note about the knee wraps. Alex shows NO SIGN of being held back by them AT ALL. Instead, quite the opposite, they are on him BECAUSE he does so many incredible moves on stage. He’s very fast, very talented and gives some amazing performances throughout the show. At the end of B2B, where most on Broadway [except Michael D.] don’t jump off the piano anymore, Alex did an amazing spin move before collapsing in perfect timing with the end of the number. In the performances that followed, I saw Dayton and Jacob do this too a bit, but Alex landed it like no other. It really met the impact that the piano flip has.

Overall, Alex Ko is a wonderful Billy and I really enjoyed seeing him perform, and I’ll definitely enjoy seeing him again soon hopefully too! If I can think of more to add about Alex I will do so in my next few reviews.

Ta for now,
Sean/angelenroute

Return to “Reviews Archive”