Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

Re: June 2010 Reviews - Chicago

Post by Musical Fanatic »

Fri June 11
Billy-Cesar
Michael-Keean
SB-Mark

I think I will start this review with the first thing that pops to mind from tonight's show. That would be Cesar the Champ. Two shows this week so far and two knockouts. Then there is Keean who is a great Michael to me. Its nice when I watch his Expressing Yourself routine to realize that I missed something he is doing :D .

The Stars Look Down
Please don't hurt me :lol: but Chicago's opening sound better right now. More in harmony. NY has had some ensemble changes in the last couple of months and it shows. They need sometime to mesh the new parts together.

We'd Go Dancing
The Company has cast some of the most amazing actresses to play the role of Grandma.In this case Cynthia Darlow. Her take is a tough old lady. Who loves her grandson but loosing her memory. One of the few places that I have a bone to pick with Cesar :lol: :D . I think he plays it to straight and restrained. Dead serious and small smiles. Except at the kiss of Grandma's hand. Cesar kisses it then gets close to Cynthia almost nose to nose. With a look and smile of a child's love for his crazy Grandma.

Shine/Solidarity
The Ballet Girls in Chicago particularly Tracey A and Susan Parks(spastic starfish) are simply amazing. I sometimes think the BG's don't get enough credit from us for all they do for the show 8 times a week. Emily Skinner has grown on me. I am now sure that her Mrs W deserves as much praise as Kate in NY. She is more hard edged and less emotional than Kate. At one point when correcting the girls attitude promenade. You can hear the the world weary pleading to get it right in her voice. Armand Shultz has really settled into his role and the confrontation with Mrs W works very well overall. Cesar does this loud snivel and foot stamp with his feet when talking to Mrs W in the toilet scene.

Expressing Yourself
Saw something funny from Keean that I never noticed before :lol: . When he has the pink(housecoat?) in his hands. Keean runs his hands across the edge and smells and kind of goes ah with his expression :lol:. This is it. Cesar is another one with the weird funny faces when they are dancing arm in arm.

Angry Dance
Heard from the couple sitting to my right at intermission. The husband was not sure about what he had just saw in Angry Dance but was very impressed with Cesar's athleticism and talent. The show had blown away his preconceptions about what he was going to see(think chic flick :D ). He loved the way the different scenes tied the show together(A boy finding that he wanted to go his own way and his family and town falling apart around him before he could) I was impressed with his understanding. I could also agree with one other statement that was "I could never in a million years do what Cesar had just done" :D They were going to rent the movie at some point after the show to get an even better understanding of what they were seeing. At the end of the show we talked about how this could as easily be set in Detroit. With the closing of all the US auto plants :!: Why he overall thought the plot resonated with him.

Dream Ballet
Would be perfect accept for the fact that the smoke generators are set way to high. The smoke is up to their knees or higher and up close(c103) its hard to see through. It was not like this last month when I was here.

Electricity
I did not think it possible. Cesar has added more complexity to his Ballet since I saw him in May. Watch his ending moves. Cesar really is a master. Chicago looks like it has told the Billy's to specifically break the ending pose after a short time. Step back towards Dad while still facing audience and accept the applause till it starts to die out. Finally someone has thought this out :D :D :D . The Billy's deserve this time to themselves to accept their just reward :!: :!: :!:

Finale
Oh have I told you I absolutely love the enthusiasm and energy of the ensemble and the Billy's :D

Now for the really really bad part :( :shock: :? :o . Where are all the Patrons for the show. I know its a big theater but its ridiculous how many seats they are leaving empty. Why not sell AA as $25 day tickets instead of leaving them empty. Why not offer the back left and right Orch to school groups or someone else for dead cheap(maybe a fundraiser for charity) to fill the seats. This was the second time as well that I had SD to myself :( . I felt bad and went up to Cesar and told him good show. Alex D(Tracey Atkinson) and mom say hello to me and know my name. Can anyone say Cheers :D . I feel sometimes as if I have fallen into one of their episodes and everyone knows my name :oops: .

More to come from Chicago.

Sam
Bre*st Cancer awareness. My
Mom is now a ! year survivor
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

Thanks Sam for the insightful review. I have not seen the Cesar-Keean combination yet but hope to do so in the next few months. It is too bad there is not more stage door action. Perhaps the alley location scares people off or most likely they don't know it exists. Keep up the great reviews as you are our eyes right now!
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Thanks for the review Sam. Regarding row AA being empty, I believe it is due to how their ticketing system is programmed. They appear to have AA treated as less desirable seats than most of the rest of the orchestra section. I discovered this by experimenting with the search criteria on Ticketmaster. Perhaps because AA is so close that some of the stage floor will be obstructed for shorter patrons, I'm not sure? I agree leaving AA empty is a mistake, as actors don't like looking at empty seats.
-Chris
:/
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

CJ-Rochester wrote:Thanks for the review Sam. Regarding row AA being empty, I believe it is due to how their ticketing system is programmed. They appear to have AA treated as less desirable seats than most of the rest of the orchestra section. I discovered this by experimenting with the search criteria on Ticketmaster. Perhaps because AA is so close that some of the stage floor will be obstructed for shorter patrons, I'm not sure? I agree leaving AA empty is a mistake, as actors don't like looking at empty seats.
-Chris
Your welcome CJ. What annoys me is that AA was full for Wed Mat and 3/4 full for Sat Eve. when the Orch. was almost completely full even the back sec. So they do sell the tickets somehow to patrons. Thommie Retter said to me he hated having front row seats empty. Chicago cast must feel same way.
cincinnati
Tall Boy

Post by cincinnati »

I saw the show on Saturday afternoon June 12th...Tommy B....was a knockout.....will write a review later...
bandaide2012
Audience Member

June 13

Post by bandaide2012 »

Yup, I went to the show again today, my 3rd time in the last week and a half, and my last time for awhile (gotta start saving money!) :cry: I had not seen Cesar since the first preview and the only word I can use to describe him is incredible. He is so talented in all aspects and absolutely blew me away. My best friend, who is also an avid musicals lover, came with me to the show and he absolutely loved it. This guy does not cry and he was close to sobbing by the end of it all. No matter who is on or what may happen, Billy Elliot is just a truly unforgettable and moving theatre experience. This was my 7th time seeing the show in 10 months and it still affects me every single time. I am so grateful to have it here in my hometown of Chicago and I hope that it does well here and extends the run a few more months.
NYC:
Billy- Tommy, Alex
Michael- David B., Gabe
Chicago:
Billy- Tommy x3, Giuseppe x3 Cesar x2, JP 2x, Marcus
Michael- Keean x7, Gabe x2, Dillon 2x
Musical Fanatic
Ballet Girl

bandaide2012 wrote:Yup, I went to the show again today, my 3rd time in the last week and a half, and my last time for awhile (gotta start saving money!) :cry: I had not seen Cesar since the first preview and the only word I can use to describe him is incredible. He is so talented in all aspects and absolutely blew me away. My best friend, who is also an avid musicals lover, came with me to the show and he absolutely loved it. This guy does not cry and he was close to sobbing by the end of it all. No matter who is on or what may happen, Billy Elliot is just a truly unforgettable and moving theatre experience. This was my 7th time seeing the show in 10 months and it still affects me every single time. I am so grateful to have it here in my hometown of Chicago and I hope that it does well here and extends the run a few more months.
I could not agree with you more bandaide2012. The company has done a great job recruiting great Billy's and a cast that has grown on me the more I see it. I hope you get to see it more :D By the way went back and watched video of Kiril on the View. Now I know where I saw some of the moves in Electricity that Cesar is doing :D
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

After a horrendous travel day, having missed my flight this morning and therefore arrived in Chicago at 6:58PM instead of 9:43AM as planned, I nevertheless managed to get to the show before the intermission. The ushers could not have been nicer or more helpful, cheerfully showing me to my seat, Orchestra B6, just as Mrs. W. was proposing the Royal Ballet School to Billy, played this evening by Cesar. After marveling a bit at the size of the theater and the stage, I was able to settle in and enjoy the show. Overall, I would say that BETM is in very good hands with this production and this cast. It's late, and this is all I will write for now, except to say that now that I'm here, I am looking forward to two shows tomorrow. Can't wait to see more Chicago Billys!
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
gpcolo
George

Post by gpcolo »

I had one of those horrendous travel days myself earlier this week. At least you had Billy waiting for you on the other end. I am glad you are safe, sound, and soon to be rested so we can hear about your perceptions of the Chicago cast and production.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

I'm also looking forward to your thoughts and comments about the Chicago production, Ellen.

Return to “Reviews - Chicago”