Joseph Harrington

Billy Fanatic
Small Boy

Re: Joseph Harrington

Post by Billy Fanatic »

I was lucky enough to be at Joseph's debut performance on Sunday, having bought a ticket earlier in the day on a haunch that he just might be the Billy. Being a Billy virgin never having seen the show before, I was last week doing a mini-Billython of 3 shows in 3 days (Thursday, Friday, Saturday matinee.) Obviously I lucked out when I made the spur of the moment decision to add a fourth show which turned out to be Joseph's first. (And then, immediately after that performance, I went and bought a ticket for Sunday evening, making 5 shows in 4 days.)

I was very pleased that just before the start of the performance Resident Choreographer Jeff Edwards came out to announce that this was Joseph's first performance and that we "were in for a treat."

As can be expected for the first time out, Joseph did have a few miscues and mishaps, mostly a few missed (non-critical) lines, a slip or two, getting tangled in the jump rope, and a few stumbles during his Swan Lake with Older Billy. Many of these I'm confident the majority of the audience didn't even realize were errors.

The applause Joseph received after his Pirouette spins to Mrs. Wilkinson at the end of Solidarity were the longest and most sustained of any of the three previous performances I saw during the week. Joseph's Electricity earned him a standing ovation from the appreciative audience, the only standing O for that number at any of the five performances I attended.

I plan to post a more detailed review of all five performances sometime this coming weekend when I'll actually have the time to write them up.

Until then, Solidarity forever and keep on expressing yourself.
Billy Fanatic
"Normal not to be normal"

BROADWAY - 19:
Billy: Alex K. x3, Giuseppe x1, Jacob x2, Joseph x5, Julian x2, Myles x1, Peter x4, Tade x1
Michael: Cameron x7, Jack x5, Jake S. x2, Neil x5
Debbie: Georgi x5, Lilla x14
Small Boy: Alex D. x10, Seth x3, Zachary x6
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Ben x12, Giuseppe x1, Joseph x2, Julian x2, Myles x1, Tade x1

TOUR - 3
RICHMOND, VA:

Billy: Ben x1, Drew x1, Noah x1
Michael: Jake K. x1, Sam x2
Debbie: Samantha x3
Small Boy: Cal x3
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Jake K. x2, Sam x1
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Welcome to the forum, Billy Fanatic. I see that we are both from VA. :D

What a good way to start your first Billython, with the debut of a brand new Billy! Thanks for posting about your experience.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

At first it appeared that no forum members were present for Joseph's debut. It's great news to know someone was there to report on the performance. Welcome Billy Fanatic! We look forward to reading the rest of your reviews when you post them.
:/
liberavieve
Small Boy

Post by liberavieve »

Welcome, Billy Fanatic! So glad to see that someone from around here got to see Joseph in his first performance and to hear that the audience really seemed to encourage Broadway's newest Billy. (And that the powers that be made their appearance to introduce him!) I'll be looking forward to the rest of the reviews from your Billython, particularly because it sounds like you saw all of Broadway Billys (or... all save Dayton?)!

Anyway, thanks for your take on Joseph's first, and welcome!
Billy Fanatic
Small Boy

Post by Billy Fanatic »

Thank you Ellen, CJ, Liberavieve and everyone for the kind welcome; I do appreciate it very much.

I do wish for everyone to understand that my mentioning of Joseph's mishaps at his inaugural Broadway performance was not in any way meant to suggest that he gave a performance below the high standards expected of those performing in the show. Quite the contrary; a boy must possess an abundance of talent, skill, determination and personality in order to even be considered for the role of Billy Elliot with only the best of the best actually becoming a Billy. Make no mistake about it; at his debut Joseph exhibited a masterful proficiency in all the traits and artistic disciplines necessary and required to shine as a successful Billy. His mostly minor miscues combined accounted for at best less than 2 minutes of his well over 2 hours of superb performing.

The audience was indeed appreciative of Joseph's accomplishment; they were most definitely the most enthusiastic of the five performances I attended during my Billython. At the curtain call, it was very clear that Greg Jbara shared my assessment of the audience. The preceding Friday (October 22) was the kick off for this year's annual Broadway Cares campaign. At Billy Elliot, Greg is the designated pitchman, assisted by, as he put it "the lovely" Eboni and whichever Small Boy performed, Alex or Seth. Because the audience reaction to Joseph's performance had been so strong, causing the show to run long, Greg had to deviate from his standard "script" for enticing theatergoers to open their wallets and make donations. He started out by commenting "Because you've been such a great audience, I need to cut this short." A little later, at the point where he usually quips "you are by far the best audience we've had so far tonight" (at matinees, "today") he instead said, "No joke, you are by far one of the best audiences we've ever had."

Lest there be any lingering doubt as to how well Joseph did, I'll share one more telling anecdote. At the stage door after the show when some fans made positive comments to Greg about his performance as Dad, he in turn made a point of praising Joseph, who at the moment was standing next to him.

And so, to Joseph, a well deserved Bravo on your Broadway debut!
Billy Fanatic

BROADWAY - 19:
Billy: Alex K. x3, Giuseppe x1, Jacob x2, Joseph x5, Julian x2, Myles x1, Peter x4, Tade x1
Tall Boy/Posh Boy: Ben x12, Giuseppe x1, Joseph x2, Julian x2, Myles x1, Tade x1

TOUR - 3
RICHMOND, VA:

HugsY2k
Tall Boy

Post by HugsY2k »

BF,

I attended Joseph's second performance. I wish I had given him stronger feedback (I tweeted a few comments), but stopped feeling bad because it turns out YOURS was very similar to mine. :shock: Phew. So, it's NOT all me. ;)
Broadway/London/US Tour, including Canada
Performances Attended: a number between 150-200 :)
Billys: 32
Michaels: 20

last update: June 2013
Billy Fanatic
Small Boy

Post by Billy Fanatic »

HugsY2K and Everyone,

With all the talent Joseph exhibited at his debut performance, I'm certain he'll only get better and better as he becomes more experienced and the opening night and first few weeks "jitters" subside. Clearly, the BETM production team has confidence in him; otherwise he would never have been given a contract, let alone one for the Broadway company. This young man more than in abundance has the ability, the determination, the drive and above all the talent to excel at the role, I don't doubt for a moment that once his nerves (and the excitement of debuting) subside he'll be an absolutely fantastic Billy.

As to my reviews of my Billython performances, please, just a little more patience. I am finally able to start writing them; work and personal demands had caused an unexpected delay in setting my many thoughts down in a written (digital) form. And many thoughts it is; those who know me and my style know that I tend a bit to the long winded side, as I'm sure my few posts so far to the forum have demonstrated to some small degree. And, it does take time to be a wordy windbag while striving to keep a narrative informative and entertaining; especially for a hunt and peck typist like myself.
Billy Fanatic

BROADWAY - 19:

TOUR - 3
RICHMOND, VA:

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

BETM Billy ballet master, Finis Jhung, posted this on his public Facebook page The Finis Jhung Ballet Techniques:

"Saw Joseph Harrington, who demonstrates our BOY #BALLET DANCER DVD perform as Billy Elliot last night on Broadway and he completely captivated the sell-out audience. He is a brilliant actor/singer/dancer with tremendous energy, marvelous timing and a razor sharp focus that makes everything he does so natural and believable. He truly brings Billy to life! Bravo Joseph!"

And that, as they say, from the master. :D
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Broadway Buzz at broadway.com has really nice piece on Joseph Harrington:

http://www.broadway.com/shows/billy-ell ... let-shoes/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Excellent! Thanks for the link. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.

Return to “Cast - Broadway”