August 2010 - Reviews - London

KeefyM
Michael

Re: August 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by KeefyM »

Great Reviews Barry, Deanfan5, FromRussia, Dancer, Alex and Dave, keep them coming folks. :P

No offense taken Alex. Billy is certainly getting plenty publicity in South West London anyway, with many new posters going up all over the place especially in overground stations, with 5 brand new Billy posters(all the same) in Kingston-Upon-Thames station alone and plenty more in places like Twickenham & Richmond. Maybe more does need to be done to make the tourists in Central London aware of it ?, although Billy does get a lot of international visitors and a packed theatre most nights.

Also have to agree with Barry that most Saturday evenings I have experienced seem to have the "dead" or "tired" audiences,
who were about as enthusiastic as a wet blanket.

Thursday 19th August 2010 – Matinee :D

Billy – Aaron
Michael – Jake
Debbie – Emily

When you turn up at the VP and see Aaron Watson on the performance board you know you are in for a great show and a great afternoon, and it certainly was. A fantastic show courtesy of Aaron, Jake and Emily with a very appreciate audience including many of Aaron’s family in attendance.

Aaron was on top form, and showed no signs of tiredness at all as we were lucky enough to see him the previous night as he done the Second Act on Wednesday for an injured Dean (with Dean doing a brilliant job in the First Act despite coming on with a bandage on his left knee from a previous injury). At times it was obvious the pain Dean was in as you could see it in his face and his knee really hurt him at the end of Solidarity,
but Dean like the trooper he is, continued until the end of the First Act and gave another fantastic performance including a brilliantly emotional Letter straight out of the Tom Holland crying academy and another George Maguire type Angry Dance.

Unfortunately that was the last we seen of Dean, but Aaron came on at the start of the Second Act and got the audience onside very quickly
thanks to his talent and professionalism and a brilliant performance on Weds evening, as it was throughout on Thursday’s matinee.

As Dave has said in his review, Thursday was a monster day at Billy that started at 7.45am in the Day Queue and ended for me at 1.00am the next morning by the time I got home (to find a Dead Cat wrapped in a towel that had been run over & dumped on my doorstep – long story which I won’t go into, and the Cat is not mine).

Anyway, it was a long day but definitely worth it thanks to two great performances from junior and senior Billy and a wonderful day spent with great Billy friends and a drink or two with Aaron’s brilliant Dad and family after the matinee, which was a great occasion (Cheers Nick, and thanks for the drink - I owe you one).

Young Master Watson continues to justify my initial comments about him from June 10th (and indeed from November 2007 at Bafta’s 60th Birthday) that there is something special about him and he is definitely going to be one of the all time Billy legends. Today’s performance proved yet again what a great Billy he is with another stunning and wonderful show with very appreciative applause throughout and two standing ovations at the end.

Quite a few people have compared Aaron to Liam Mower (including me) whether it is in his looks or in his dancing, but as Dad rightly pointed out, Aaron is Aaron, not Liam Mower and it is fairly obvious in the unique & natural way Aaron plays Billy compared to how Liam used to play it (which was also great). Although we all know how great Liam’s Ballet is and for me Aaron’s Ballet is in the Liam Mower category for its sheer gracefulness and perfection.

Sitting along the row were a family seeing the show for the first time. I asked them at Interval what they thought, they really enjoyed it but didn’t realise there would be as much swearing in it, especially from the kids, but were not offended by it. Asking them at the end would they come back the response was “definitely, we would come back and see it loads of times”, and “the talent of the boy who is playing Billy is just amazing”
And they are right, because from the moment he was pushed on stage by David Bardsley’s Dad to the final curtain Aaron demonstrated his remarkable talent in another awesome performance especially with his astonishing Electricity and his usual perfect skipping in B2B.

If you haven’t seen Aaron as Billy yet, then get booking now and hopefully you will get him because his Billy performances are so natural, rugged and believable that you do think he is a lad from Easington especially in the perfect and wonderful Geordie accent he does which never falters throughout the show.

Another reason for seeing Aaron are his Electricity performances – they are stunning and today was another brilliant performance with perfect Ballet technique and astonishing footwork which is right out of the Liam Mower top drawer.
I did notice that the lighting grid that lifts up as Billy comes downstage seemed to go up a lot slower than usual, be well out of sync with Billy coming downstage and it looked slightly squint – although maybe that was just me (and I hadn’t been drinking by then, - although I did have a dodgy Cinnamon Latte earlier from a well known coffee chain).
Anyway, it was a great performance from Aaron resulting in a well deserved standing ovation from quite a few people and Aaron taking his time to lap up the applause from his many fans, supporters and family members.
I have to agree with Barry that the audience were definitely wanting a repeat of his astonishing and quite brilliant performance judging by the applause and their reaction.

His Electricity was described last week by Deanfan5 as "awesome" and it certainly is - an absolute joy to watch. I look forward to watching it develop over the coming months including adding more “street” elements to his Electricity and maybe even the infamous board flip.
The first Ballet Billy who may do the board flip at the end of Electricity – go for it Aaron
(although no doubt the Ballet Billy purists won’t like it – but don’t listen to them Aaron), the more acro/hip-hop/street moves in Electricity the better, after all the show is not just about Ballet.

And for those Ballet experts out there if you haven’t seen Aaron yet, then I think you will be very surprised at just how good Aaron’s Ballet is when you do see it. As I keep saying, I am not an expert on Ballet but what little knowledge I have is enough to know Aaron’s Ballet technique is remarkable for his age.

Talking about Ballet, there is of course another part of the show where Aaron’s skill and technique really comes into its own – Dream Ballet.
Whether he is with Barnaby or Sergio he works really well with both of them and clearly enjoys this part of the show where the concentration on his face is complimented throughout with smiles as he dances across the stage in perfect sync with Older Billy.
Ollie, Dean, Rhys all spin the chair fast and at the same speed as Barnaby or Sergio, Aaron however spins it really fast, In fact, he spins the chair faster than Barnaby or Sergio. Although we all know how great Barnaby and Sergio are here with their Ballet skill and their great performances throughout the show in the many different ensemble parts they play, but to me Aaron’s chair “technique” seems even better than Barnabys.
Of course we had another stunning performance from Barnaby with perfect poise and posture and his usual perfection throughout.
There were rumours going about a few weeks ago that Barnaby might be leaving at the end of November, hopefully this is not true and we will have many more performances to look forward to from this legendary Older Billy. (also the fact that pinknick103 will be devastated if he does leave and never come back to the show again (ha-ha) – Sorry Nic, only joking as usual).

(Please note Alex Holden – it is BARNABY not Barney, ha-ha). Love it Mate!
Although I wonder what it would be like having Barney The Dinosaur as Older Billy for one night only ???.

Anyway, Aaron’s acting and dancing is top rate throughout, and his singing while still not perfect(so what ? I say) is fine and has definitely improved since he started. His tone and pitch is much deeper than the other Billys and it works very well in both his singing voice and dialogue delivery because it gives Billy a much rawer, edgier side like he would be in Easington. Therefore his delivery makes Billys background/upbringing more believable. Billy is not some choirboy or posh Surrey school boy (i.e. posh boy Thomas) from a rich family, but from a family struggling to survive and get through life with Billy having to cope with the many prejudices he faces in his interest in dancing and the fact that he “doesn’t want to be like anybody else”.
Thankfully Aaron’s fantastic performances are well removed from any posh Surrey school boy and perfectly convey Billy as a tough and naïve North Eastern street lad coping with the loss of his mother, his upbringing & the prejudices he faces from his family in trying to follow his dream.

However, my only little nuance with Aaron’s dialogue is still the “Just don’t tell dad I was late or anything” line.
It was a lot softer and less angrier towards Grandma today, but for me still needs to be a tiny little bit more softer as I felt it was still too aggressive compared to the other Billys and still sounds like his Billy is going to sort Grandma out (i.e. kill her) if she does tell Dad he was late.
Also another little thing (sorry Aaron) is that his Boxing moves in a few shows have been virtually non existent – hardly any boxing moves and straight into the dancing, which is fine as we all love the hilarious and brilliant dance moves that Billy does here, but in a few shows he has practically started dancing straight away rather than doing some Boxing moves first and therefore slightly spoiled the joke for the Billy Virgins
– i.e. they knew he was going to do some dancing whereas they should be fooled into thinking he is actually going to start boxing with Michael.

Today’s performance however was great and he took a good little while (the longest I've seen him) to do some Boxing moves first before doing the best & most hilarious dance moves I have ever seen him do – wonderful to watch and some great moves that seemed to be straight out of the Ollie Gardner/Tom Holland school of hilarious dance moves. Like Ollie’s moves they went on for ages and were absolutely brilliant.
A brilliant boxing scene Aaron, just keep up those few more Boxing moves you did today rather than rushing into the dancing.

Jake was on top form here as usual and great to see Paddy Hewitt back as Small Boy and his fantastic delivery of “je-sus” which had the audience roaring with laughter along with his great performance in MCMT and his loud shouting of “Big Spender, Big Spender" at Billy’s Dad. He was watched by his friend - other small boy Edward Sharpe, who was sitting in the audience with his Mum and Edward got a few photos with Aaron afterwards.

A great Letter scene from Aaron, but I agree with previous comments that he does need to show more emotion in The Letter and Letter Reprise although his delivery of the final words “love you forever” shows he can be more emotional during the scene and he is up there with Ollie in his perfect delivery of “No, she was just me mam”.

My favourite Aaron scene is B2B simply because he was the Billy that made me like it after my initial slating of the new B2B and he makes it very enjoyable to watch thanks to his perfect and fast skipping. All the Billys are great at the skipping, but Aaron is by far the master of the skipping,
I haven’t seen him get caught up in the rope yet. His skill and speed is incredible and “faster” is actually faster than the initial skipping when Billy is first handed the rope.
I have said in the past that current Billys should be “benchmarks” for future Billy’s i.e. Ollie with the Boxing scene, well Aaron should be the benchmark for the Skipping for all future Billys, they certainly won’t go far wrong if they learn the brilliant technique that Aaron has.

Great work from Genevieve (who’s skipping has greatly improved) and Daniel Page as Mr Braithwaite who’s take on Mr B is not to everyone’s liking, but I and quite a few others certainly love his version especially his dancing and his skipping which is slightly faster than how Sean used to do it.
He brilliantly plays on his size and shape to make his Mr B even more funnier. He does need to sound a bit more drunk though with his “I was a little detained at The Rose and Crown” and needs to learn to play the Accordion like Sean used to do in MCMT.

Aaron’s Angry Dances are great with so much hate, temper and aggressive tap throughout. You can see Billy's rage building up brilliantly in the scene prior to Angry Dance thanks to Aaron’s great acting. A fantastic performance from Aaron today with plenty swearing, loud screams of frustration and fantastic tapping throughout.
Love the defiant way he says to Tony “I don’t want a childhood, I want to be a Ballet Dancer”.

Another hilarious and legendary Grandma performance from the lovely and remarkable woman that is Ann Emery. Her dancing in Grandma’s Song seemed even more eccentric and funnier than ever with Aaron’s Billy carefully listening to every word she says. Faultless performances from Ann, Genevieve, David Bardsley, John Coates, Tim Funnell, David Nellist & Rhona McGregor playing Dead Mum despite Samantha Seager being in the ensemble.

Another great performance from the unsung heros - the Ballet Girls who’s various escapades delivered many hilarious moments including Tracey Atkinson’s and Debbie’s “big moment” and the biscuits being passed around sneakily in the background between them after Mrs W takes them from Debbie. They really took the mick out of Aaron’s Billy and gave him a tough time and some great looks as if he is some kind of weirdo because he is in their Ballet class.

A great and faultless show (apart from the new ensemble member's policemans hat in Solidarity which either keeps falling off or slipping down his face as it is too big for him – naughty hat).
We had some of Craig Gallivan’s family and friends sitting behind us who whooped, cheered and laughed enthusiastically throughout the show, not just at Craig. In talking to them at the Interval they have seen the show many times before Craig was in it – they absolutely love it and will be seeing the show many more times while Craig is still here and after Craig leaves (hopefully not for a long time yet, as his Tony is bloody fantastic, great passion, anger and emotion and believability in Craig’s performance, and in my view how Tony should be played). Great stuff Craig.

Finally, another stunning performance from the soon to be departing Jake, who’s performance in Express resulted in a few extra winks again especially at some of us sitting in row A. Jake is a great partner to any of the Billys and worked really well today with Aaron. A great & hilarious partnership resulting in a brilliant Express and fantastic tapping from Aaron and Jake(guess who got the tap shoes on quickest ?), as well as a brilliant Winter Scene with another one of my favourite Jake touches – his very loud and excited “CUUUUSSSSSH” when Billy throws the Tutu at Michael (which reduced Aaron as well as the audience to laughter).

It is true what Jacob and Dave have said in reviews that Jake’s Michael is the least flamboyant of the 3 and almost campless throughout and it works really well for his portrayal and therefore the lonely and confused Michael (as per Stuart Wells in the movie) comes through very well from Jake especially in the Winter scene.
Jake & his Michael performances will be very much missed from the show by many people and for me in particular I will miss the brilliant use of his glasses throughout, his great dancing in MCMT, his thumbs up and winks at the audience, his “come on Billy son” in Express and the infamous kissing the picture of Billy before he sticks it on the mirror.
Brilliant work Jake, hopefully will catch some other performances this week before seeing your final night on Saturday and well done for doing extra shows this week along with Connor in the absence of Joe.

A great afternoon and a wonderfully “cush” show with a great audience.

Thanks to Dad Nick we had a brilliant photo and autograph signing opportunity with Aaron afterwards, which featured Aaron’s fantastic idea of using his Dad’s back as a table to lean on when signing autographs. (Current and Future Billys, take note!). Aaron took time to pose for photos and sign many autographs and write great messages for some Billy audience veterans who’s support of Billy over the years is remarkable, incredible and wonderful.
The photographs of Aaron (by David Burton) are on the Aaron Watson – Billy Elliot Appreciation Society facebook site, so pop along and have a look folks and sign up as a member if you have not done so already to show your support for our favourite wee laddie(gone Scottish again) from Norfolk.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 416&ref=ts

Only got a few photos myself (including Aaron signing on his Dad’s back) - thanks to my Iphone being rubbish, but made up for it as I ended up talking to Aaron’s lovely Gran-parents and other family members and friends. It was great to see and hear how proud they all are of Aaron and how they really enjoyed his performance – as we all did which was fairly obvious with the very positive comments about Aaron from the audience as we left the Theatre.

I have seen some great & stunning Billy shows in the last 5 years, but I have seen 3 stunning & faultless shows in the last week thanks to Aaron. Today’s matinee, like Weds evening & last Thursday proved yet again what a great Billy Aaron is and that he already has all the ingredients of another legendary Billy.
An outstanding, entertaining and sensational performance today as were the performances last week. They were all Cush.

Well done Aaron, fantastic work Mate!

Cheers
Keith
:D
KeefyM
Michael

Post by KeefyM »

Thursday 19th August 2010 – Evening :D

Billy – Ollie
Michael – Connor
Debbie – Fleur

What can I say, after the outstanding performance from Aaron in the matinee could the day get any better. Well at 7.15pm it certainly did as I walked into the VP and seen the one and only Ollie Gardner on the board. (Unfortunately both Connor and Jakes names were mixed up on the board for both shows – with Connor on the board for the matinee when it was Jake and vice versa for the evening). As we left the VP in the evening I tried to tell the woman taking a picture of the board that it was wrong, but she took the picture regardless.

Anyway, having queued for Day Seats at 7.45am with great friends to see our favourite Billy this evening I knew that he would not disappoint and he certainly didn’t. Bloody Hell, Ollie Gardner will you stop being such an awesome Billy and be rubbish for once as I’m running out of things to say in reviews. Another remarkable, stunning and entertaining performance once again from Senior Billy, full of the usual Ollie charisma, confidence & experience he brings to make Billy so believable.
Ollie’s Billy is very easy going with a great personality that obviously comes from Ollie himself in real life. I like that fact you never see his Billy stroppy or grumpy as some Billys have been in the past. Ollie portrays Billy’s naivety and emotions very well in every performance, although I have to agree with Deanfan5 that his Letter scenes are great but could be a little bit more emotional, although his “No she was just me mam” is spot on. Also his reply to Debbie’s “I’ll show you me f***y” line was far too quick tonight which was surprising as he has taken much longer in the past, although the reactions on his face to her were brilliant.

All four Billys Angry Dances are great, but Ollie has to be one of the most angry, aggressive, pi***d off Billys I have ever seen, such a fierce and aggressive tap throughout and I’m sure the rails/bars surrounding Billys bed at the top of the stairs are going to come flying off one of these days with the force Ollie kicks them. The anger, frustration and intensity in his face is incredible. His Angry Dances just get angrier and angrier.
I thought there might be a level or a limit that Ollie has reached with his anger here, but no, every performance he gets more and more aggressive and louder in his shouting, screams and swearing (hurrah!). Even more swearing please Ollie (except when Mum's watching).
Another stunning Angry Dance from Ollie and brilliant to witness Senior Billy showing how it should be done.

Ollie’s dancing is great to watch, it is entertaining, exciting & moving as he confidentially delivers every number from the hilariously fantastic dance moves in the Boxing Scene, to the poise and grace of Dream Ballet and the brilliant acro and street moves in his Electricity, and I agree with Dave in his review that it is clear that Ollie loves every part of his dances and indeed loves being Billy.

Having mentioned the Boxing Scene numerous times before, all I will say is that it was another great performance from Ollie along with Connor’s Michael who cheats at the press-ups by getting down on his knees (kneeling to push himself up) rather than stretching out.
We also had Luke Jackson-Clark as Tall Boy and the brilliant Aaron Lynch as Small Boy reducing the audience to fits of laughter with another incredible performance (including singing all the naughty words in Solidarity tonight). Wonderful stuff from Aaron and Luke and I noticed Luke’s Posh Boy also brilliantly ignores Billy in front of the safety curtain.

Great B2B from Daniel, Genevieve and Ollie with brilliant dancing throughout and fast & faultless skipping from Ollie (watch out Aaron).
Daniel Page continues to impress and keeps the laughs rolling in with Mr Braithwaites antics.

A great Street Electricity from Ollie who is so comfortable in the role of Billy now that it shows in his Electricity performances as he is just so relaxed that his great ballet/street/acro-skills really come to the fore here because he is confident about what he is doing. He uses the whole stage to display his amazing acrobatic and dance skills which were very much in evidence tonight with another stunning Electricity performance which was up there with other great Street Billys of the past. His voice sounded deeper than usual (hopefully it is not breaking yet) and the singing part of Electricity was great thanks to his wonderful voice with perfect pitch & tone and correct emphasis on each word.

I found myself getting a little bit emotional during Electricity tonight because of the passion and determination Ollie was showing in his singing and for some reason I suddenly thought about Billy in the future – or to be more precise, this time next year, because it dawned on me as Ollie was singing, he isn’t going to be here this time next year and we aren’t going to see his legendary Billy performances anymore, and I will be absolutely devastated when he leaves. I’m still getting over Fox and Tom no longer being in the show, so god knows what I will be like when Ollie leaves.
Of course, we shouldn’t forget when Ollie does leave (hopefully not for a good long while yet), we have the fantastic performances of Dean, Rhys, Aaron and new Billy Scott to look forward to and all the Billys/Michaels/Debbies in the future.

Anyway, let’s get back to Ollie’s Electricity as I’m depressing myself talking about him leaving. The small amount of Ballet moves that are in Ollie’s Electricity were the best I have ever seen him do, with his pirouettes brilliantly done before he does the infamous board jump, which was perfection as usual. He didn’t quite get a full standing ovation but at least some of us stood up Ollie and appreciated your performance. There must have been quite a few people in the audience who are not fans of Street Billys because I cannot work out why more people did not stand up for him as his Electricity was certainly worthy of a full standing ovation. But hey-ho, at least he got very loud and appreciative applause which went on for a good while and a standing ovation from the Co-Chairs of OGAS (and True Ollie Fans as the quiz on Facebook has just proved this weekend).

It is a pleasure to watch Ollie’s fantastic portrayal of Billy with his great acting, singing and dancing and his brilliant interaction with the audience through his many glances across the front of the stalls. Whether you love him, like him or just tolerate him, the fact is Ollie is an incredibly talented young man which is fairly obvious each time he steps onto the VP stage as Billy with his experienced, energetic, confident, smiley and highly entertaining performances. Brilliant work Ollie and I’m looking forward to many more.

Again this week there has been talk from some people saying their not that keen on Connor’s Michael, saying it's over the top and too camp or they think he has made it too over the top now. I can understand why people prefer Jakes more restraint approach or Joes cheeky little scamp, and it is refreshing to have different interpretations of Michael and I love all 3. But Connor’s Michael is just sheer brilliance, especially that genius pixie walk he does over to the portable radio in the Winter Scene. How anyone cannot laugh at that or indeed at any of Michaels funny actions and antics as delivered perfectly by Connor throughout the show is beyond me.
Unfortunately I and a great number of people just do not get where people are coming from about his Michael being over the top ?.
Sorry, I just don’t get it.

As other reviews have said, Connor plays Michael for laughs – if that means people think it is over the top, then someone please tell me what the problem with that is ?. It is brilliant that he plays it for laughs, he is a natural comedian who’s skill and timing is beyond his 12 years and you just have to speak to him at the Stage Door or Billy Bus to realise what a remarkable and talented young man he is and how much joy & laughter his Michael performances bring to a great many people and how many fans thanks to his performances (and the forum) he has around the world.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just do not get or understand why anyone cannot love Connor’s Michael performances
– they are wonderful and cush in every single show.
I, like many others, cannot help smile and laugh at every single thing he does from the moment he comes on stage until he leaves. His Pavarotti deep voice, his excited woo-hoo when he holds up the Tutu is perfection and you can never get bored of it. I love how he always has a different line in Express when putting the Tap Shoes on – last week for instance he told Aaron he was going to win “because I’m just brilliant”. And he did.
I have come to the VP many times after a horrendous day at work and feeling crap, and Connor’s performance’s have cheered me up every single time because you simply can’t help smile and laugh at his Michael no matter how bad you are feeling.

From his very first show to now he has never failed to disappoint and tonight was no exception, another stunning performance throughout with a brilliant extra bum wiggle and camp walk when he puts the picture of Billy on the Mirror. Tonight we had the great and legendary partnership with Ollie. All the Billys and Michaels work well together, but Ollie and Connor are the dream team, like great double acts in the past they just hit it off perfectly every time and the chemistry between them on stage is so obvious that everything they do together just works and is perfectly timed.
It is fantastic to watch and is so good that as far as I’m concerned it's like watching younger versions of Morecambe and Wise.
Eric and Ernie are of course legends and always will be, but Ollie and Connor demonstrated tonight why they will also be remembered as legends
for many years to come.
A fantastic partnership that just works/just clicks with a stunning Express from both including Ollie’s “lay off the fags“ line and a marvelous Winter Scene with perfect dialogue delivery and Connor getting the audience roaring with laughter at his usual Tutu antics. Disappointingly his exit was not as camp as usual and with less bum wiggles, but still a great performance from our soon to be Senior Michael.

Connor’s Michael is phenomenal and pure genius. Enough said.

Also, well done Connor for doing 5 shows this week (5 nights in a row, Tues-Sat, covering for an injured Joe) I was lucky enough to have seen 3 of them and they have all been brilliant and hilariously funny as usual.
Well done Connor, bloody outstanding work Mate!

Fleur, who has been brilliant since she stated in the role continues to play Debbie to perfection. Much like Connor, every single thing she does is perfect from the moment she comes on stage until she leaves. Her delivery of Debbie’s dialogue and dancing is so spot on that you do believe she is a young girl in the Miners Welfare at Ballet Class not a young actress playing this feisty young lady.
Love her determination to outdo Tracey Atkinson in the “big moment” scene and her screaming of “mam” and dirty look she gives mam when she ignores her. Also when Debbie is told to “piss off” by Mam during the snow scene the shocked look on Fleurs face is priceless and one of the best I have ever seen in 5 years, it just works so perfectly.

Fleur’s performance tonight was hilarious and feisty with so much energy and charisma throughout making her Debbie very believable.
Loved her interaction with Ollie and the cast and as usual she made sure she told Billy what she thinks and gave him a hard time.
Another fantastic performance from Fleur who’s Debbie performances are legendary and a joy to watch.

The Ballet girls today seemed to have it in for Aaron and Ollie’s Billy with a couple of extra pushes that I have not seen before. As usual they didn’t stand for any nonsense from Senior Billy which resulted in Ollie’s brilliant confused and shocked looks and him swearing at them quite a few times. Another great performance this evening from the Ballet Girls (same team as the afternoon) who along with Genevieve got the loudest applause I have heard for a long time at the end of Shine. Great performances from each and every one of the girls who at various points during Shine and Solidarity got many laughs from the audience due to their reactions to Billy and Mrs W and their somewhat hopeless dancing at times.

Another brilliant performance from Genevieve who’s Mrs Wilkinson might not be able to dance much but she sure makes up for it with her great singing voice and interaction with the child and adult cast. Initially I thought her portrayal was too harsh, whereas now she can still be the right hard nosed cow when she wants to be but also brilliantly displays the much softer Mrs W towards Billy. Noticed she seems to have started calling Billy “darling”. In the scene before Angry Dance I have heard her say a couple of times “I’m sorry Billy darling, you haven’t got a hope in hell” A nice little touch to display the softer side of Mrs W despite her obviously raging at that point by what has happened and how she has been just been spoken to/shouted at by Tony. Great stuff Genevieve.

More top notch performances from all the cast this evening with Romy’s Grandma stealing every scene she was in and the usual excellent performances from Craig as Tony, David Nellist as George and the brilliant version of Dad from David Bardsley who brings so much believability to Jackie Elliot through his fantastic performances.
Absolutely love Ollie’s little laughs throughout the show but especially in response to various lines in Grandma’s song.

The show ended with another brilliant Finale (which was spoiled by some nutcase dancing away like Bez from the Happy Mondays right at the front of the middle stalls aisle (just behind the MD) – he obviously thought he was dancing to some hardcore techno music rather than The Finale.
What a surprise – the audience spoiling it for me again.
Maybe one of these days we will go back to the much stricter rules theatres had in the past in regards to audience behaviour as that is obviously what is needed given the severe lack of audience discipline I have witnessed at the VP especially in the last 8 months. Luckily Ollie and the cast were not put off by this idiot who had obviously escaped from the nearest mental institution and they all gave a fantastic performance with Ollie smiling away throughout and an up for it audience clapping along.

Just before the Finale, Ollie yet again got a standing ovation before he reached the middle of the stage and the whole house stood up when he was pushed forward to take his bows. The evening ended with two well deserved standing ovations for all the cast with very loud cheers and applause for Genevieve, Connor and Fleur and of course for another legendary performance from Ollie. Well done Ollie, fantastic work Mate!

It was a fantastic day, with two great shows and the day queue at 7.45am was a distant memory thanks to the fantastic performance of Ollie this evening and Aaron in the afternoon. Great to have the opportunity to thank Ollie, Aaron, Connor, Jake, Emily and Fleur at the Billy Bus for their brilliant performances and get a few photos of Ollie and Jake which are on the OGAS site.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 692&ref=ts

Thanks to the VP security staff who did allow photos to be taken and only asked people (very politely) to stop when the Billy Bus had to leave.

The evening ended with a few drinks in the pub with great friends and brief chats to some of the cast before we all went out separate ways and I ended up arriving home at 1am to find the dead cat on my doorstep. By the time the commotion was sorted out it was 7.45am on Friday morning.
From day queues, cinnamon lattes, fantastic Billy performances, nutcase dancers & a dead cat, it was a 24 hours I won’t forget in a hurry.

Cheers
Keith
:D
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Great reviews Keefy.

Shame the audiences are dead most Saturday nights as my next show is Saturday 4th Sept evening. Nathan and I (along with you Keefy) will have to start a Mexican wave along row B to liven things up.

Alex.

PS Has anyone seen my cat.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

21st evening Aaron, Connor, and Emily.

I would like to add my thoughts on the evening show as it was another stand-out one from Aaron.
Aaron has now incorporated more steely determination and a nice level of irritability into his Billy which is not overdone and blends neatly into the warmth and bemusement he brings to the character which makes his Billy very watchable and believable. Aaron's stagecraft has come on apace and it is characterised by concentration throughout and a particular attention to the speed and the emphasis he puts on line delivery which manages to tease out every ounce of nuance and meaning. Truly a very perceptive acting head on such young shoulders. Having said that I suppose we were lucky to have Aaron's head in one piece at all as Connor caught him with such a pearler in the boxing scene that I thought the St John's Ambulence staff would have to attend. :o Also with reference to speed, such was Aaron's enthusiasm that he was half way across the stage with his Nureyev moment and going so fast that when Mrs W turned round she was nearly bowled over let alone startled :lol: . The highlight for me in Aaron's performance was probably the best Angry Dance I have seen from him full of vitriol and angst and superb tapping. Close behind came an excellent BTB with perfect fast skipping. I am going to stick my neck out to say that Aaron is the best current Billy skipper. I would still like Aaron to be more emotional in the beginning of The Letter. He has such a mournful face at this point that he could really carry the audience with him. Mind you the poor kid had to send out a search party for the Rubic cube as it had managed to hide itself away among the other junk in the bag. The funniest moment for me though (even outdoing an excellent 'expressing' with Connor) must have been the cubicle scene with Debbie (superbly played by Emily at her seductive best). I swear that before the look of shock and mild disgust at the fxxxy invitation Aaron actually nodded before saying 'nah your all right'. For a brief moment I am sure that Debbie must have thought that all her boats had come in :D
The 'ah' factor was provided by Paddy Hewitt who excelled as small boy. Tall boy was the impressive Isaac Gryn who I have commented on before. I am sure though that his very graphic reaction to the line ''fxxxxd your mrs'' was missed by most of the audience as it was very backstage. :shock:
Connor was as Connor is, a performer who gives 200% although his 'air' kiss for Billy came out like more of a slurp. :lol: Emily as stated was very good throughout and built on the rapport and applause she got with the 'dickhead' jibe.
We seemed in short supply for the ensemble and the Chairman of the adjudicating panel had to double up as pencil man. I thought also we had another new actor until I recognised that they had given the newest ensemble member a wig which made him look so different. He has certainly settled in fast and plays the role as if he had been in the cast for ages.
Finally back to Aaron. Another very creditable performance from a very engaging Billy who has come on in leaps and bounds in the last months. Aaron is a great credit to himself, his family and and those tutors who have brought him to the point he now is performance wise.
Comment has been made about the audience. I did not find it so bad. I have certainly sat in a lot worse. Having said that, it took this reviewer to stage a one man demonstration to bring it to it's feet. I am very glad I did as the acclamation for Aaron and the cast was thoroughly earned and nothing more than they deserved.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

I think you must have been at another theatre in another time on a different planet Deanfan5. On Thursday Evening, it was Ollie. Aaron did his wonderful performance at the Matinee.

Simple mistake - even I could have made :lol:

Love the review though.
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Great dissertation KeefyM as usual. :lol: :lol: :lol:
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

burtond wrote:I think you must have been at another theatre in another time on a different planet Deanfan5. On Thursday Evening, it was Ollie. Aaron did his wonderful performance at the Matinee.

Love the review though.
Burtond if you read the date at the top of the review you will see 21st evening which according to my diary was Saturday evening. :evil: I think you owe me a San Miguel when we next meet or maybe another visit to specsavers is called for. :roll:
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Deanfan5 wrote:
burtond wrote:I think you must have been at another theatre in another time on a different planet Deanfan5. On Thursday Evening, it was Ollie. Aaron did his wonderful performance at the Matinee.

Love the review though.
Burtond if you read the date at the top of the review you will see 21st evening which according to my diary was Saturday evening. :evil: I think you owe me a San Miguel when we next meet or maybe another visit to specssavers is called for. :roll:
Ha Ha :oops: :lol: I think I owe you both Deanfan5

Apologies
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Monday 23rd August 2010 – UK – London - Evening

Billy – Rhys

Michael – Reece Barrett

Debbie – Emily (Act I) / Francesca (Act II)

Dad – David Bardsley; Tony – Craig Gallivan; Mrs W – Genevieve Lemmon ; Mr B – Daniel Page; Grandma – Romy Baskerville; George – Dave Nellist; Dead Mum – Samantha Seager; Older Billy – Barnaby Meredith; Ballet Dancer in cream tights – James Foster ; Big Davy - John Coates: Musical Director .– Chris Hatt

Last nights show was a show full of surprises. Arriving at the VP to meet up with a Forum friend from Russia, the board announces a new Michael, Reece Barrett. What a delight. Totally unexpected – we had expected Reece to be introduced after the departure of Jake but (according to those in the know connected with the show) Reece had come on so well (and so quickly) that there was every reason to get him introduced into the scheduling as quickly as possible.

So, what of his performance? Well, mind-blowing actually. Anyone seeing the show for the first time would have had absolutely no inclination that this was Reece’s first performance. Indeed, I sat there blown away by the new guys ability and confidence. He took command of the VP stage like a true professional and just like all the legendary Michaels, completely stole the scene in express with his new-style flamenco skirt and colourful patterned top. He has a powerful and confident voice which I imagine could cope pretty well without the audio enhancements and has really mastered the North Eastern dialect to perfection. He sings and Taps really well too. Reece is a small guy, similar in size to Joe Massey and therefore the Billy’s do tower above him – but don’t let his size lead you to believe that he has a weak character – he has not. He plays a very strong, focussed and competent Michael in a totally campless and almost macho style – yet another take on this colourful and important character. I sat next to and spoke with Reece’s Grandparents throughout the show and it was wonderful to witness first hand just how proud they were. This was the first time they had seen the show and it clearly had a big impact on them in addition to the tears of pride when young Reece took to the VP stage. Met with Reece’s parents after the show and they were very glad and appreciative to meet and see Forum members in fact, it’s the first time that any parents have asked us for a photograph of their Son with the attending Forum members. Lovely. Well for done Reece, a fabulous opening night for you – enjoy your Billy experience as you continue to develop in this important role.

I said that the show was full or surprises, well the second surprise was the substitution of Emily following Act I with Francesca who took the role of Debbie for the whole of Act II. No announcements were made about this and I suppose many would not have even noticed. So, I have no idea what happened to Emily. She was great in the first Act – her usual stomping self and there was absolutely no indication of any problems. Francesca completed the second Act without any fuss and stepped effortlessly into Emily’s shoes having done most of the hard work in Act I. Well done to both Emily and Francesca.

We had EDEN Team last night with the Ballet girls and they bitched, fought, pushed and squeeked for England. I may have had Reece’s Grandparents on my left hand side, but I had the Mother of one of the Ballet girls on my Right hand side – a rose between two thorns, so to speak! It’s lovely that the parents afford the girls so much support especially when you appreciate that they have to buy tickets like the rest of us. Anyway, the Ballet girls sparkled throughout the show and provided lots of comic moments with their silly antics as well as a number of ‘cush’ moments with their formation ballet numbers. Well done girls.

The last surprise was the set breakdown which occurred just after the Dad and Tony angry scene when Billy runs up the stairs to his room. It was the typical set wouldn’t lower out of site problem. It was unusual though because the additional central rising element of the bedroom (i.e Billy’s bed) continued to rise up toward the lighting gantries together with a very calm and still Billy in the form of Rhys. I can imagine that this was a moment of concern for Rhys as although he was sat on the bed at the point it went haywire, once it was aloft, there were no barriers around him to keep him safe. He looked quite exposed up there although calm and cool. Thankfully, two stage managers quickly came on the stage and told Rhys to stay exactly where he was and to keep still. Soon after that, the additional central rising element was brought back to normal position, Rhys was able to climb off the bed and leave the set by the revolving stairs. The main set still stuck in position, the safety curtain lowered and an announcement was made.

Of course, as has happened before, the remainder of the show is performed without the rising set. I pay tribute to all the cast for their speedy improvisations and workarounds but particular tribute to a very professional Rhys because no matter what anyone says, it is Billy (and the young actor playing Billy) that predominantly has to improvise his way around the problem. Again, none of the first timers would have noticed any problem and Rhys was a total professional here coping with absolute ease. Indeed, the only small error he made was that in the kafuffle, he started the Angry Dance (at stage level) with his over-shoes still on and had to hastily remove them during the opening g bars of Angry Dance once he realised that his tapping shoes were silent. Rhys – you were superb last night mate!

The whole cast were on top form throughout the show – Genevieve has really won my heart over. I particularly like her final scene with Billy when she adopts a standoffish approach when Billy informs her that he has been successful with the RB. Daniel Page continues to delight with his bizarre dancing movements during B2B, the new ensemble guy, Alan Bradshaw has thrown himself 200% into the various roles (I note from the programme that he is Head of School at Colin’s Performing Arts – the school where Dean Charles studied amongst others). Romy is a very worthy and believable Grandma who is funny but delightful to watch – in fact every one in this show really pulls together as the team. Good to meet a few of you again in the pub afterwards too.

Summary – Absolutely brilliant again everyone – wonderful and inspirational.

Well, duty calls now so you’re all off the hook – am going back tonight and most of the rest of the week together with our friend the dissertation writer.

DB
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Thanks burtond for a very full and descriptive review of last night.
Just 2 comments on the show:

A very commanding performance from a very brave little Billy. As said in DBs review Rhys was exposed to a malfunctioning set that took him up into the gods literally. Billy ended up higher than he is in the dream sequence. It is to Rhys's great credit how calm and unfazed he appeared to be before quickly being rescued by the stage staff who stopped the show. The improvisations that he had to do thereafter when this part of the set would have beeen used were excellent and well thought out showing a far sighted acting mind. WELL DONE RHYS is all I can say.

For supreme confidence on his first show you could not have seen better as was shown by the other Reece. It was if he had been with the show for ages. Great confidence and for a child who had to learn to dance to get the role he acquitted himself very well indeed. I loved his little extras particularly dragging Billy from his chair in the Winter scene and tickling him under the chin before doing his manic moves on the stage. The way Reece said his lines so clearly and without added Keegan emphasis was excellent as well as the genuine warmth that this Michael conveyed for his friend. Thank goodness for his wardrobe which makes such a difference. I have never been a fan of that ghastly number most of the Michaels wear in 'Expressing'. I have longed for a return to the days of Ryan and Ashley when a dress was a dress. I see that a similar dress style was used in the Korean Production and I hope that this is shades of things to come.
The cast overall had a hard task capturing the momentum that was there before the 'set' disaster. They did their best and as the show was clearly appreciated by the audience at the end it shows that they succeeded. A lot of this was due to the way a very level headed Rhys dealt with what he was faced. The boy and the new Michael really done good. :D :D

Return to “Reviews Archive”