September 2010 - Reviews - London

Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Re: September 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by Deanfan5 »

Saturday Matinee:
What a pleasant surprise (after the disappointment of Thursday) to welcome back a very fit Scott this afternoon clearly having recovered from whatever had ailed him.
What an enjoyable performance this was as well. The thing about Scott is the evident enjoyment he gets from performing and how this is conveyed by him to the audience in smiles, grins, and laughs. Never more so than in Expressing Yourself where he had so much fun with our cheeky Michael (Joe)- up to all the little tricks that Joe brings in. As a result it turned into a riot of giggles and smiles that totally blew the audience away today.
Somebody in the know about Scottish Dancing (is it called pointing?) must advise us further as we were treated to a real Highland (or lowland) feast from Scott today who really got carried away in the pre boxing routine. I swear I could hear the bagpipes in the background. :lol: It looked perfection to me and I would have a bet that Scott has a drawer full of medals somewhere for his Scottish dancing. There was also a little reprise in BTB prior to the dance with Mrs Wilkinson. What an ace Scott is with the skipping ropes as well. Totally faultless.
I would really like Scott to develop the emotion in the letter as he has such a woe begone expression to build on that it would be a total audience mover.
Scott I must confess did not look totally at ease with the chair in Dream sequence but everything went well otherwise. As for his Electricity I can only concur with Jacob's review of last Monday where his poise and pirouettes are concerned. Scott's routine is totally balletic eschewing the gymnastic somersault for graceful ballet leaps which really enhanced his programme. Coupled with this he does have a very pleasing singing voice.
It was great to see Joe back again as cheeky as ever.His sad face at the final curtain after the Billy kiss was gut wrenching in its intensity.
A nod must also go to Edward (small) and Isaac (tall boy) for their contributions to the show. Very effective acting by both. Edward really does a great 'Jesus' take'
All in all a well appreciated show from a very receptive audience made more so by the very evident joy Scott gets from performing and how he conveyes that to us. As I have said earlier in other reviews if you have not seen Scott yet you really must do so soon.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

It is surely good news that Scott is back on stage so quickly!
Deanfan5 wrote:I swear I could hear the bagpipes in the background.
Great line, Deanfan5 :)
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

I cannot let yesterdays 2 shows go without comment.

Thursday matinee: Aaron,Reece and Francesca.

This was not an easy show for Aaron yet he did very well under the circumstances. The miking was unreliable,the lights failed briefly on the cast at the final curtain and he did not have the easiest of ariel rides due to some problem with the harness. Despite these challenges this was a very composed and in some ways gentle show from Aaron depicting a very vulnerable yet determined Billy throughout. The strong points were positive acting (especially in a very moving letter scene) and some excellent skipping in BTB and a real sense of empathy and warmth between him and Mrs Wilkinson throughout as depicted in their acting together. Aaron cracks me up in his response to the invitation from Debbie which is broadly shock and disgust-then a nod as if to say 'well that is an interesting proposition' and then refusal. The good thing about Aaron is that he takes his time and does not rush his responses which allows the underlining meaning to develop.
Aaron was aided by strong shows from Reece and Fran as well as Paddy and Ashley in the small and tall boy roles.
Phil was Mr B but was not evident after the Christmas scene and as he did not perform in the evening I wondered if he was unwell.
The cast were not aided by a quiet audience but given this there was no lack of commitment to the cause. Aaron will probably feel he has had better shows but given everything he did very well.

Thursday evening: Olllie, Joe and Emily with alan Bradshaw as Mr B.

This was a real sizzler of a show in large measure by excellent performances by the key child cast. Ollie had the perfect foil in Joe Massey who was superb. There is such an infectious joy to a Joe show that the audience is with him all the way- and even later given how he was mobbed in the Billy bus afterwards. Joe as Michael is the eternal scamp always up to anything and with such a cheeky grin throughout that the applause he got after the winter scene was so richly deserved. Joe and the tutu had Ollie in stiches and there were several times when Ollie just could not keep a straight face such were the antics going on around him. Joe does not have to do anything spectacular to bring Michael alive as his face does everthing for him. The smiles, the grins.the facial contortions and the laughs right through to to sad trembly face at the final curtain. Absolutely brilliant.
Ollie performed very well indeed. His voice is richly deaper now yet he manages all that is asked of him in his singing and acting with grace and tunefulness. A superb Electricity will certainly wet our appetitites for next week. I have never found Ollie's letter scene an emotional turn on but last night bucked the trend as he conveyed real sadness throughout.
Alan Bradshaw performed Mr B for the first time and showed us what an accomplished actor he is even though he did get in a tangle with the piano speech. It did not really matter though. Our 'small' small boy also lived up to his billing and I swear he even sings along with all the cast and Billy line perfect when he is on stage.
I think Forum members there last night went away (as I did) realising that we had witnessed something really special. It is not often that a Billy gets upstaged and eclipsed by a Michael but it really did happen last night. :shock:
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

We're more than halfway through September and we are only on the second page of reviews. How come they have dried up? Thanks to the people who have posted reviews but there must be more of you out there.

Keep 'em coming folks :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
jogo30
Audience Member

Post by jogo30 »

Deanfan5 wrote: Thursday evening: Olllie, Joe and Emily with alan Bradshaw as Mr B.

This was a real sizzler of a show in large measure by excellent performances by the key child cast. Ollie had the perfect foil in Joe Massey who was superb. There is such an infectious joy to a Joe show that the audience is with him all the way- and even later given how he was mobbed in the Billy bus afterwards. Joe as Michael is the eternal scamp always up to anything and with such a cheeky grin throughout that the applause he got after the winter scene was so richly deserved. Joe and the tutu had Ollie in stiches and there were several times when Ollie just could not keep a straight face such were the antics going on around him. Joe does not have to do anything spectacular to bring Michael alive as his face does everthing for him. The smiles, the grins.the facial contortions and the laughs right through to to sad trembly face at the final curtain. Absolutely brilliant.
Ollie performed very well indeed. His voice is richly deaper now yet he manages all that is asked of him in his singing and acting with grace and tunefulness. A superb Electricity will certainly wet our appetitites for next week. I have never found Ollie's letter scene an emotional turn on but last night bucked the trend as he conveyed real sadness throughout.
Alan Bradshaw performed Mr B for the first time and showed us what an accomplished actor he is even though he did get in a tangle with the piano speech. It did not really matter though. Our 'small' small boy also lived up to his billing and I swear he even sings along with all the cast and Billy line perfect when he is on stage.
I think Forum members there last night went away (as I did) realising that we had witnessed something really special. It is not often that a Billy gets upstaged and eclipsed by a Michael but it really did happen last night. :shock:
First - Thanks for the reviews @ deanfan.

I was in this show as well after a few month "BETM-abstinence". What's happend to Joe? I remember him as a relative "quiet" Michael, but on Thursday he was such twirly. That shouldn't be a crit, I really like that. Ollie is going to be an adolescent, his speaking-voice got deep, in some situations nearly sonorous since last time, but nevertheless he was a superb billy and his dancing, especially Electricity was really stunning. I don't think that Billy was upstaged by Michael yesterday. Both where equal in their presence.

BTW who is this really, really naughty "Small boy", who aped Big Davey? I curled up. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Edited: 18/09/10, 11:54; orthographical corrections)
BETM-Counter: 25x London, 1x York (BYT)
Next planned visit: ???
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

jogo30 wrote:
Deanfan5 wrote: Thursday evening: Olllie, Joe and Emily with alan Bradshaw as Mr B.

BTW who is this really, really naughty "Small boy", who aped Big Davey? I curled up. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The small boy was the amazing Aaron Lynch.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Deanfan5 wrote:
jogo30 wrote:

The small boy was the amazing Aaron Lynch.
He's got to be a future Billy. He could nearly sing the whole part of Billy (and the rest of the cast) now!
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
*Lottie*
Tony

Post by *Lottie* »

I will put together a review from Friday Nights performance when I get home from London Tonight :)
Charlotte

The Musical Vs The Film - " there's more depth & passion to it" - Scott Mckenzie 9.3.11
*Lottie*
Tony

Post by *Lottie* »

Friday 17th September
Ollie
Reece
Francesca

So I arrive on Friday to the surprise that Ollie was Billy. I had predicted Scott or Rhys from the previous shows that week but I was very happy to get to see Ollie again before attending his final performance. I count myself lucky to have another opportunity. It was my first time seeing Reece too. Always great to see Francesca’s name up on the board as well. She was her usual Billy admiring self. And I love the way she delivers the ‘sexually frustrated’ line.

If anything I would say the audience could have been better. They piped up a bit in the second act and got into Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher with more enthusiasm. Despite this the whole cast was on top form. None one appeared affected.

Reece and Ollie I thought made a great partnership. Reece just looks like a Michael, what I picture in my head as how Michael should be for me. He displayed a sort of innocence in his face? That worked perfectly.

Born to Boogie proved flawless, no tangles or accidents today!

Angry Dance and Ollie fit together like paper and glue for me. They just go. And every time I think yes that was the best yet. But then the next time he goes and tops it. I’d love to know where he manages to draw that anger from.

Never have I viewed such a determined electricity performance. When I say determined I mean he seemed to just take everything Billy is feeling at that point and penetrate it right through the whole theatre. Like he wanted everyone to be able to step into his shoes. I wouldn’t say it was my favourite ‘dance’ electricity I have ever seen. But don’t think I’m putting Ollie down on his dancing I’m not. I just think the way he ACTED the song was extraordinary.

Ollie, I think it is true we have all ran out of words and things to say. Epically brilliant once more.
Charlotte

The Musical Vs The Film - " there's more depth & passion to it" - Scott Mckenzie 9.3.11
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Lottie. Sounds like Ollie delivered the goods once again - along with the rest of the cast.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.

Return to “Reviews Archive”