October 2010 Reviews - NYC

angelenroute
Billy

Re: October 2010 Reviews - New York

Post by angelenroute »

I am still working on my review of the Thommie Retter dance workshop for adult fans and on the review of the performance of Friday night, October 8th. In the mean time, in case there's anyone out there reading, here's an article I wrote for a theatre Website about being a BETM fan. It was written in June, so some data isn't updated. They didn't publish it on the site yet so here it is anyway:

==========================

There’s a great Saturday Night Live sketch that opened the show 20 years ago featuring Tom Hanks hosting the show for his fifth time. He walks into a special clubroom called the Five-Timers Club where he meets Paul Simon, Steve Martin and Elliot Gould. As he learns about the club and meets its members, all of whom have hosted the show five times or more, he suddenly realizes he’d better get back to the show and finish his opening monologue. The club members tell him there’s no need to worry about that. “You’re a Five-Timer, you can phone it in,” Steve Martin instructs. Apparently once you’ve done the show that many times, why push yourself?

Billy Elliot The Musical has performances eight times every week, five times every weekend alone. And eight times a week, the amazing cast led by one of five unbelievably talented Billys who rotate in the role, makes audiences laugh, cry, cringe, gasp, howl and cheer. As I write this, I have already seen the show 13 times and have tickets for my 14th, 15th and 16th times next week! And since I’m by nature a biased reviewer, I want to explain exactly what keeps me going back over and over--and over again, and why this show is so extra special. But I begin by making sure you understand one thing from the very start about the team of amazing performers who put on this show: They never, EVER just “phone it in”. Each and every time an audience enters the Imperial Theatre, they are transported to another time and place, and Billy Elliot’s story explodes in emotion, song and dance before their eyes.

So why keep going back to see the same show so many times? It’s a very good question, and trust me, I understand your bewilderment! Maybe you have or would consider seeing a show 2 or even 3 times. As a “Renthead” I saw the musical RENT on Broadway 8 times. But seeing Billy Elliot The Musical 16 times with no plans to stop? And by the way, I’m not even that frequent by crazy-fan-industry standards. In fact I personally know people who have seen the show over a hundred times, some on 3 continents! So let me just give you a super quick personal history of how I got happily hooked.

I first saw the film that the stage show is based on when it was out in theaters, and then a little over eight years ago, I joined a Yahoo Group for fans of Jamie Bell and the film “Billy Elliot”. I even met new friends through the group, one of whom has become one of my closest friends. Christian lives in Germany and I’m on Long Island, so he’s become a great online friend to chat with now and then. We talk via Skype all the time and will quote lines from the movie to one another. He’s a great guy who I’d never have met if it weren’t for the original film. A few years later when the stage show was announced for London, I was so excited. One of my favorite movies would be turned into a musical! But would it be good or just a total flop? I not so secretly worried it would be the latter.

Then I heard the songs, the music, the lines from the show, and I was immediately mesmerized at what they had accomplished. The production team hadn’t tried to just turn the movie into a musical. Instead they took the basic story and the characters and wove an entirely different web connecting plot points with beautiful song and dance. Yes they borrow an odd line from the film and use the scenes of the film as bullet points for the musical, but they do so with a fresh, completely new approach, and the result is an even better telling of the story than the multiple-award-winning movie had already accomplished! In May 2007, during my first and only trip to England so far, I was able to see the show at last. And I have to tell you, by Intermission, I was completely speechless and so breathless with emotion that I couldn’t even get a word out for a full minute. It was amazing!

“Okay, okay,” you say, “I get that it’s a great show, but why do you keep going back? What makes the show so extra special that you see it SO often?” Well the fact that I am blown away every time I see it aside, the simplest, purest answer I can give is that the show is just charmed from start to finish.

It is charming that a girl with a real Geordie accent tells us to switch off our cell phones before the show starts. It is charming that a little boy climbs up onto the stage and stares out at us as the show begins, and another boy climbs off the stage and into the audience at the end. It is charming that children laugh and scream at each other, ride bicycles and push each other. And it is charming that life is not just imitated on stage but beautifully lived on stage, all the while an angry plot of poverty and plight are experienced through fist fights, shouting, cursing and riots. Life is both bitter and sweet, and Billy Elliot The Musical melds both beautifully throughout every scene of the show. Yes, Billy is a charmed show and you are completely caught up in its world of emotional highs and lows with every laugh you bellow out and every tear you wipe away. It’s a triumph from start to finish. And how could you not want to experience something SO awesome as often as you can?

Your heartstrings will be pulled in every direction as the main character, the son of a striking miner in a riot-ridden town in northern England, manages to learn ballet behind his dad’s back and eventually becomes an absolutely incredible dancer. Talk about an underdog story! In the first few scenes of the show, Billy shows a flare for creative movement with his body, but he’s also practically tripping over his feet when he winds up in his first ballet class. Maybe not a total klutz, he is hardly the gasp-inducing wonder kid he later becomes. And seeing him—no matter which boy plays Billy—transform from a kid in a boxing class to this incredible dancer before your eyes through the course of the show is what makes this show so special, so completely charmed. We watch Billy go from nothing to something, from something to something special, and finally from something special to something absolutely, unbelievably extraordinary. In a phrase, he goes from falling on his face to flying high above the stage—literally!

This past April, after over eight years of online friendship after meeting in the Billy Elliot movie fan group, I finally met my friend Christian from Germany. He stayed with my partner and me for a week during his first trip to the United States. For the first time, we watched the movie in the same room together and then the next day I took him to see the Broadway musical on his birthday. Without Billy’s inspirational story, I’d have never met someone who has become one of my closest friends.

The community of people who see this show multiple times like me is incredibly vast. I have made many great friends because of Billy Elliot and we often do dinners together before big shows like an anniversary or a performer’s last show. And we talk all the time in between shows too, many of us on a daily basis. It’s a beautiful thing that a show that highlights community has brought so many strangers together as great friends in real life too.

The day after Christian and I saw the show together, I played him a couple of video clips of another amazing Billy performing in the role. He enjoyed them very much, but said he preferred “our Billy” more. It’s a very common expression heard about every single Billy, because when you experience Billy’s story live in the theatre, he becomes someone whose fate you find yourself caring so much about, as if he’s your own little brother or your own child. It’s a story that is charmed from start to finish, and you will leave the theatre feeling the impact, the emotion, the exhilaration it gives everyone who goes to see it. It’s a thrilling few hours of live theatre that you will want to experience over and over again. Most of you may not be able to see it many times because of money or schedule or distance, but I urge you to check out the show if you haven’t yet. It’s an inspiring story you will never forget, and who couldn’t use more inspiration in their life?

I can’t speak for all who have seen this show, but I can speak for all of my friends and family who have. It is unanimously felt to be one the best shows they’ve all seen, and many consider it to be the best. Whenever I get the chance to go see Billy Elliot The Musical on Broadway, I like telling strangers sitting around me how many times I have seen it. Most give me a shocked smile when I tell them before the show starts. But every single time, by intermission and again by the end of the show, they look me in the eyes beaming from ear to ear and tell me they now totally understand why I keep coming back over and over and over…

Sean Patrick Brennan
angelenroute

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Excellent job, Sean. :D I very much enjoyed reading the article.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Bravo, Sean!! So well said!

I will not fail to point people who are considering going to see BETM to this post. If what you've written doesn't convince them it's worth their time to see, I don't know what would.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Great stuff Sean.

Well done.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
chocchipcookie26
Tony

Post by chocchipcookie26 »

I just wrote the longest, and probably best review i've ever written, and i had to login to post, and it's gone. Argh, i'm completely gutted by this :(
x
chocchipcookie26
Tony

2ND ATTEMPT :roll:

Wednesday 26th October 2010 - 7:00pm
Billy: Alex Ko
Michael: Jake Evan Schwencke

Wow, it was so good to see this on Broadway, and well worth the wait. It was lovely to see it fresh, and I liked most of the changes a lot (though i did miss the London audition scene). I don’t know if I will see the London show again, because I feel I have seen it enough times now, but this wholly new experience on Broadway makes me definitely want to see this one again :)

This will not exactly be a review, more explaining what i liked about everything :)

Greg Jbara and Will Chase as Dad and Tony made an amazing partnership. Their Geordie accents were particularly good, though I wonder if some of the audience would have found it hard to understand in parts - it was perfect for me! Infact, when Greg made a speech about Carols For A Cure after the Finale, i was surprised to hear his American accent, so good was his Geordie one! Their acting was fantastic, they both fit their parts amazingly well. I quite liked the changes of 'He Could Be A Star' - and their acting was very very emotional in this scene, it was amazing, as was Greg's Deep Into The Ground. I thought that after Craig Gallivan, any other Tony would just not match up, but Will was absolutely fantastic. Greg was so charming to meet as well, a genuinely lovely man who obvious spends a lot of his time chatting to fans, which is wonderful of him. He obviously swotted up on the London show, as he was talking to us animatedly about all the different parts.

I thought that Carole Shelley was a fantastic Grandma, and i found that she seemed to have more depth in parts than the London Grandmas, though my Dad thought the opposite, so i am not sure. I have not seen the London show since March, so i would need to see them closer together to compare, but in any case, i thought she was very good, and had some very touching moments with Alex, particularly the end of Grandma's song, which was a fantastic performance as a whole. I also enjoyed Emily Skinner's Mrs Wilkinson. She had a fabulous voice, and i know people have said on here how they think she is a little harsh in places, i thought she was fine, and a great actress.

I did like the changed Born To Boogie, though i can understand why people might not, it must be frustrating if the skipping does not work. Though luckily, it did here, although Alex took a few seconds to get going, once he did it was very, very, impressive. Thommie Retter is amazing, a lovely man and a hilarious Mr Braitwaite, another great actor. His dancing was fantastic, as was his skipping - and it always amazes me how these slightly portly men are so agile! He is, like Greg, a lovely man, who also seems to take a lot of time for his fans. Though he said to me that many people don't recognize him out of his wig!

Also, the George was fantastic, leading a wonderful boxing scene. He too had a great Geordie accent, in fact, it seemed like it was mainly the adult male named-parts who did the strongest Geordie accents, I was glad that they weren't too Americanized. Credit must also go to the Big Davy, a small part acted exceedingly well, and his singing voice was fantastic, i would liked to have heard more of it - i like to think they added his solo lines because of his great voice. The whole male ensemble were great, particularly in Solidarity. It is always a great moment in the show, with stunning choreography, but i found it really stood out in this show. Aside from Alex's stunning ballet, it was a great group effort from everyone, making it a particular highlight for me.

And the kids, all amazing. The Ballet girls were brilliant, I found them to be less over-the-top than the Ballet girls in London, which I liked a lot, as I don’t think it needs to be over-the-top to create an impact. Georgi also, made a great Debbie. Seth as Small Boy was absolutely adorable, so tiny, acted fantastically – a little star who I am sure has a great future ahead of him. And Ben Cook stood out for me like no other Tall Boy has. He did a lot with his small part, acted wonderfully, and he has a lot of stage presence for someone so young. I would love to see him in the role of Michael or Billy, and I really hope he gets a chance to do so, I can already see him as a brilliant Michael.

Jake, god, he was hilarious. Very strong in all aspects, a natural comedian as well as a great and versatile actor. He portrayed such vulnerability in the Winter Scene, making it a very touching scene. He also produced the best singing I have ever heard from a child actor in Billy Elliot, and Express was just wonderful. It is bigger and better on Broadway, I love the added staging, and though I was not sure about the dancing trousers - it did not matter. Jake and Alex seemed to be having so much fun, and Jake’s comic acting is brilliant, he was just amazing. The ending on his bike was heartbreaking, and the applause as the curtain lowered was huge, it was such an emotional moment.

And Alex, wow, he is such a charming and engaging Billy (with a lovely smile). He had a great rapport with all his fellow actors, Greg, Carole, Jake, Emily etc and his acting was brilliant throughout. He sung Electricity in a lower key, and his part Deep into the Ground was changed so he does not sing as high as usual. But he is not particularly tall, so hopefully he will be around for a while yet, he needs to be seen. The main asset of Alex’s performance has got to be his ballet, it was simply stunning, so so graceful. I do not know anything about Ballet, but his is surely the best ballet I’ve seen from any Billy. As previously mentioned, his spins and pirouettes in Solidarity were amazing, making me very excited to see Swan Lake and Electricity. And I was not let down, they were both incredible, creating thunderous applause, though unfortunately not a standing ovation, for each. The appreciation for his performance was obviously there though, as coming on for his final bow, there was a full standing ovation, brilliant to see. We were rewarded with his adorable smile :) His Letter, particularly the Reprise, was understandably very emotional, as was his Angry Dance. It was exciting, and very intense, even quite scary, and though I can understand why people do not like the Angry Dance on Broadway, I quite liked it. It is still, in my opinion, completely Billy’s scene, and this is highlighted by how his vivid red trousers stand out against everything else. It was an amazing performance by Alex here, and his hair was spiking up in all directions by the end, with a look of complete disgust on his face, it was very effective! He is a great actor. If you haven’t seen Alex yet, hurry, as he is absolutely amazing, and his ballet needs to be seen to be believed, it is just beautiful.

I have to mention the man looking after the stage door. There was just me and my parents there, and he was absolutely lovely, making sure we met everyone I wanted to, leading us to them, introducing us, making sure I got a photo etc. and chatting to us for a long time. He could not have been nicer, and urged us to come back. One of the things i would like to return for is people like him, he helped the friendly atmosphere which was always there, onstage and offstage. It felt different from London, in a good way, and i definitely want to go back, if possible! :)

(I'm sorry i use so many superlatives - but it's what the whole cast deserves!)

x
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Sorry you lost the first attempt, ccc, but glad you reposted. Great review. Thanks. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Wow! What a brilliant review.

Thank you for taking the time to re-write it as it must have been so annoying when you lost the first version.

You are so right about the friendliness of the cast and the chaperones. They all make you feel very welcome.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Wow, chocchipcookie26, what a brilliant review! I'm so happy, as others have said, that you had the fortitude to re-write it after losing it the first time. It would have been a shame if your thoughts had been lost. You brought out all the good things about the superb Broadway cast.

I'm so happy you had a good experience watching the show on Broadway and do hope you can see the show there again as I look forward to your observations about it.

As a suggestion for the future, for long posts I've found the safest and most effective way of posting is to write the post in Word (or Notepad) first, and then cut and past to the Forum. Then, if you happen to lose the post here, you just have to go back to your saved Word version and re-cut and paste.
chocchipcookie26
Tony

porschesrule wrote:Wow, chocchipcookie26, what a brilliant review! I'm so happy, as others have said, that you had the fortitude to re-write it after losing it the first time. It would have been a shame if your thoughts had been lost. You brought out all the good things about the superb Broadway cast.

I'm so happy you had a good experience watching the show on Broadway and do hope you can see the show there again as I look forward to your observations about it.

As a suggestion for the future, for long posts I've found the safest and most effective way of posting is to write the post in Word (or Notepad) first, and then cut and past to the Forum. Then, if you happen to lose the post here, you just have to go back to your saved Word version and re-cut and paste.
Thanks for all the comments :)

Yes, i should have thought about that before - the 2nd time i did just that :) Luckily, i think i remembered most of what was in my first review, and added a couple of bits into 2nd, so they're very similar :)
x

Return to “Reviews - Broadway”