Chat about other shows here
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Deathtrap

Post by Deanfan5 »

'Deathtrap'
Noel Coward Theatre St Martin's Lane
booking to Jan.22nd 2011

This play is a revival of the Ira Levin hit of 1978 and is in the genre of a murder mystery thriller with deap black humour overtones. The programme asks the audience member to keep the plot secret (shades of 'The Mousetrap') so as not to spoil the fun of future audiences. I shall therefore give only the sketchiest of outlines.
There are 5 cast members: Sidney Bruhl ( a murder mystery writer), his wife Myra, an ex student (also an aspiring murder mystery writer) Clifford Anderson, a dotty neighbour Helga ten Dorp with an uncanny gift for the E.S.P., and a solicitor/accountant Porter Milgrim. The setting is October 1978 in Sidney's study in the Bruhl household in Westport Connecticut.
Sidney receives in the post a script of a play ('Deathtrap') from Clifford and since he is suffering major writer's block is tempted to appropriate it to revive his fortunes. To do this of course he has to murder Clifford so he invites him over to stay under the guise of collaborating on the first draft of the play. Does he succeed? I will leave you to guess.
The play has lashings of black humour, blood, unexpected twists, and some out of your seat shocks which scared the pants of us all. :o The seemingly predictable becomes seriously unpredictable which is not surprising as Sidney's study is festooned with artifacts such as knives, assorted pistols, a crossbow, an axe and the alleged handcuffs used by Houdini-all of which come into play at one point or another.
Sidney is played by the established actor of considerable note Simon Russell Beale who turns in a very commanding performance. Equally good is Clifford played by a very confident American actor Jonathan Groff. The quality of the acting overall is very high and the direction (Matthew Warchus) very slick indeed.
This is the second play I have sat through this week with visual effects of a thunderstorm so I am wondering when that element is going to be introduced to Billy. Talking of Billy I could not exactly escape the connection when in the audience last night was none other than our esteemed Director Stephen Daldry (? a working visit as I did not see him after Act 1).
'Deathtrap' is a very well constructed play which initially ran for 1793 performances. It is great to see it reprised in London. I highly recommend 'Deathtrap' for a very entertaining evening when the expected turns out to be the very unexpected. I left the theatre having been seriously spooked which some may say is a recipe for a really good night out especially in Halloween week :D .
caaz
Small Boy

Re: Deathtrap

Post by caaz »

I saw Deathtrap in September.
I initially only went as i am a massive Jonathon Groff fan (Jesse St James from Glee, original Melchior Gabor in Spring Awakening)
I normally really don't enjoy plays but i thoroughly enjoyed this one, even without Jonathon in it i think i would have loved it.
I have met 4 of the 5 cast and they are all lovely :D
Going again soon!!!!
29/4/2006 - The First Billy Experience
Aaron x 1.5. Adam x 1. Colin x 1. Corey x 2. Dean CC x 2. Fox x 3. Hogan x 1. Josh B x 1. Layton x 3. Leon x 1.
Ollie G x 3. Ollie T x 4. Rhys x 1.5. Scott x 2 Tom x 2. Travis x 1. Trent x 1 (On Broadway)

5th Birthday Show = Amazing, Best Show Ever
"In everything you do always be yourself"
*Lottie*
Tony

Post by *Lottie* »

I shall be going in January *fingers crossed*
Charlotte

The Musical Vs The Film - " there's more depth & passion to it" - Scott Mckenzie 9.3.11
caaz
Small Boy

Post by caaz »

*Lottie* wrote:I shall be going in January *fingers crossed*
YESSSS!!!!
Aaron x 1.5. Adam x 1. Colin x 1. Corey x 2. Dean CC x 2. Fox x 3. Hogan x 1. Josh B x 1. Layton x 3. Leon x 1.
Ollie G x 3. Ollie T x 4. Rhys x 1.5. Scott x 2 Tom x 2. Travis x 1. Trent x 1 (On Broadway)

Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Pleased to see the above response and interest. If I have a spare evening I might also be tempted for a repeat.
caaz
Small Boy

Post by caaz »

Just as good the second time, if not better as i could tell certain improvements had been made (minor things) & i could really tell that the actors were developing into the roles.
Made me jump so much even though I was expecting it. :lol:

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”