November 2010 - Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
pinknick103
Tony

Re: November 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by pinknick103 »

Very quick review of tonights show (8/11/10) as its so late and I start nights tomoz so need a good sleep !!!!

Aaron, Joe, Emily
Sergio as older billy, david as dad, John as George

Unfortunately tonight the audience was absolutely awful. Me, Maggie and Keith virtually led all of the applauses. Even at the end, lots of people were leaving as Aaron was running down the middle, which was a real shame. Felt like shouting at everyone "come on guys - this kid is only 13 years old - please show some appreciation!!!!"
Just goes to show how much audience response affects our overall enjoyment of the show, as have to be honest and say that it felt quite flat tonight as a result of such a poor audience.
On a more positive note, the cast were all on top form trying to get the audience going.
I felt that Ann tonight was extra lively. Felt myself watching her more knowing that next time I see her will be her last show. She is such a fantastic Grandma - she will be very difficult to replace.
Poor Aaron had 2 probs tonight with shoes. He couldnt get his tap shoes on in time in express which meant Joe did most of the first part alone. Aaron also struggled to get the overshoe off at the very start of angry dance, meaning he was sat on the bed for ages before starting his tap bit. He did however recover very quickly and slotted straight into where he should have been. Such a professional. Am sure only us regulars notice these minor hitches.
His electricity was phenomenal. I have always preferred street version, however tonight I was entranced with his dancing. Pure elegance and gracefulness. Absolutely beautiful. We stood up for him and he was smiling away. He was dead proud of himself - and so he should have been.
No floating balloons tonight, however endless probs with various peoples mics. Lots of key lines not heard as a result of this.
The two friends that I took to the show tonight absolutely loved it. They said they can see exactly why I come again and again and they will certainly be joining me again.
Overall, a big well done to the cast but a big thumbs down to such an unappreciative audience.
Looking forward to the 27th where I know for sure the atmosphere will be 100%
Lotsa lov Nic xxx
Dean x1, Leon x1, Trent x1, Josh x12, Layton x10, Corey x5, Fox x10, Tom x15, Brad x5,Ollie x7,Tanner x2, Dean CC x 9, Aaron x 2, Rhys x3, Scott x5, Ryan x10, Adam x2, Kaine x5, Harris x3, Harrison x12, Redmond x3, Ali x1
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thanks so much, Nic, for keeping us up to date with happenings at the VPT. So glad your friends enjoyed it, always a bonus coming out the door afterwards :D .
however endless probs with various peoples mics. Lots of key lines not heard as a result of this.
This problem appears to be not going away soon so I have opened a thread in the Chat about Billy section to seek answers as to how the actors' mic sound system works and what the problem might be.

Pat
patc
Mrs Wilkinson

Post by patc »

Thursday Matinee 11th November:
Rhys, Connor K, Fleur

Thursday Evening 11th November:
Dean-Charles, Reece, Francesca

In both shows Romy played Grandma and David Bardsley played George.
Older Billy: James and Sergio respectively.

Maybe the fact that it was 11/11 had something to do with it but both these shows were truly brilliant. I venture to suggest that Rhys and Dean gave their greatest ever Billy performances on the day. And no such thing as tired-old-cast-about-to-leave here. The entire cast and ensemble was vibrant, on the ball and the shows crackled and sparkled from start to finish. I was completely rivetted for every second of both shows.

Rhys and Connor were dynamite in their every scene together. This is a pairing I have not seen much of but, on the evidence of yesterday, I should like to see it a lot more often. Morecambe and Wise would have laughed and clapped approvingly and rapturously during Expressing. I think Rhys had a slight cold but he didn't let it interfere. In fact, you could say that he used this to his advantage in a very moving Letter scene where he manipulated his already gentle voice up to the point where he breaks down. This coupled with his unique and masterfully portrayed waif-like Billy was just too much for many, including me, and the tears flowed freely.
Rhys' Electricity was eagerly awaited and, as expected, he absolutely nailed it to the floor with such grace and perfection that we were treated to an immediate RSS (Rhys Special Smile). He just knew he had just struck gold and watching it all happen provided immense pleasure to the watcher.

In the evening, Dean thundered onto the stage and delivered a tour-de-force Billy with an Angry Dance that shook the theatre floor to its very foundations. I think they had to suspend the Victoria Line for checks afterwards. His pairing with Reece is another one I have seen little of (only once before to be precise!!) and they were a revelation. Senior Billy and Junior Michael blowing away a big and very appreciative audience. Reece putting on the tutu was too funny for words.
Dean's Electricity lit up not only the theatre but the entire length of Victoria Street and could well be used to switch on the Regent Street Christmas lights, too. What more can you say about Dean's acting prowess? You could give countless examples but it is the (looking easy to do but are not) scenes like the Goodbye Mrs W that bear testimony to this.

I'm pleased to report that the "bit" that seemed missing/unheard in the Electricity music in last week's show was loud and clear this week. Must wash out my ears.

In the shows there was one tiny difference in the Kitchen Scene when the RBS letter has arrived. In the matinee Grandma's knife was of the ordinary eat-your-dinner-with kind but in the evening show the breadknife was back in action.

There was a marked improvement to the mic situation as discussed during the week. The matinee had one or two iffy moments early on but settled down after that. The evening show was just about perfection. Kudos to all concerned.

In the absence of Barnaby, James and Sergio both danced fine Dream Ballets with their respective Billys.

Tracy Atkinson went missing in of the shows but I can't remember which one :shock:

David Bardsley was hilarious as George, throwing in some great variations of his own both in the scenes and the front-of-curtain session after the interval. We still don't know who Irene is, though.

I am convinced that Gen has softened her attitude to Billy over the past months. Over the course of a show it happens, perhaps, more gradually than others before her but the final scene between Mrs. W and Billy is every bit as moving. Samantha's sweet voice and gentle Dead Mum would melt the coldest of hearts and her radiant smile during the Finale is always a bonus as you try to recover from the heartrending goodbye between Billy and Michael.

It would be hard to convince anyone not familiar with the show that you could see it twice in the same day, get two totally different interpretations of Billy, Michael and Debbie, enjoy every second to the full and then still want more asap on your way out the door. But that's BETM for you. Uniquely utterly butterly.

Pat
dwallen
Small Boy

Post by dwallen »

Tuesday November 9th

Billy: Rhys
Michael: Reece
Debbie: Francesca

I was in London for a meeting today and decided to stay on afterwards and try and get a ticket for tonight's performance. I was surprised and delighted to pick up what is in my opinion probably one of the best seats in the House. It was in the Dress Circle, Row A Aisle seat 18. This is normally £85 but I got it for £60. It is a great view with no chance of anyone obscuring your view of the stage. I was also delighted that Rhys was playing Billy as I had not seen him before. Despite my 46 shows I have two more of the current Billys to see (after tonight it Scott and Aaron I need to see).

The audience was low tonight, in fact I don't think I have seen so many empty seats in the Dress Circle. However, those of us who were there proved to be noisy and enthusiastic. It was another great show and Rhys was excellent. I enjoyed his singing, acting and dancing.

He worked well with is name sake, Reece, and you could tell that they enjoyed Expressing Yourself very much indeed. They had big smiles on their faces for much of the performance.

His Electricity was a joy to watch as was the ballet scene with his older self.

I must, however, say that I am still not a fan of the skipping in Born to Boogie. Although it was better than some I have seen I still think it is clumsy and the actors must dread doing it, at least that's how it looks to me.

Mrs Wilkinson was played by Caroline Deverill and I liked her portrayal which is quite different to that of Genevieve Lemon. She seems to me to be playing a 'harder' Mrs Wilkinson, who pushes Billy more into doing the dancing.

I was pleased that Ann Emery and Phil Snowdon were both in the cast tonight as I will not be able to get to the VP before or on the 27th when they bow out after such a long time in the show. They will both be greatly missed.

Overall a great night but I will say again - Now that so much has been cut from the f---y scene between Billy and Debbie it is really not worth keeping in. The dialogue surrounding it must be incomprehensible to people who have not seen the original. Please producers, either reinstate the dialogue or cut the scene. (Just my opinion, of course).

I am now looking forward to my next visit to the show which was probably be during the first week of December. I am now hoping to see Scott or Aaron, not because I do not have the greatest regard for Deam (who I have seen many times) or Rhys who I look forward to seeing again soon, but because I want to see a full set of Billys.

Well done to the whole cast on a dark, cold and wet November night who performed flat out despite the small audience.
67 wonderful shows
21 marvellous Billys
Travis, Sam, Layton, Corey, Josh, Hogan, Fox, Brad, Tom, Tanner, Ollie, Dean, Rhys, Scott, Ryan, Josh Baker, Adam, Harris and Kaine, Harrison and Tade
2 First Nights - Ollie and Dean-Charles
8 Last Nights - Layton, Hogan, Brad, Fox, Tom, Ollie, Scott and Dean.
6 Anniversaries - 4th, 5th plus the second 5th Anniversary (May 12th 2010), 6th (March 2011) 7th (May 12th 2012) 8th (May 11th 2013)
1 Gala Night - May 30th 2012 - celebrating 7th Anniversary and 3,000 show.
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

patc wrote:It would be hard to convince anyone not familiar with the show that you could see it twice in the same day, get two totally different interpretations of Billy, Michael and Debbie, enjoy every second to the full and then still want more asap on your way out the door. But that's BETM for you. Uniquely utterly butterly.
Well Pat, I couldn't agree more with your thoughts. And I'm sure most of the other forum members feel the same. Having watched the show twice in the same day (and the day before even) and all I can think of is :If only I could come again tomorrow...Well, that's the Billy bug for you...
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks jacob, pinknick, patc and dwallen for the terrific reviews.

When you can't get to the show too often these reviews are a lifeline :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
burtond
Michael

Post by burtond »

Have to say that in the absence of Craig Gallivan and Tim Funnell, Stevie Hutchinson played an awesome Tony at last nights performance. Also, well done to Joel Montague in playing Big Davy
An ex-Regular and someone who was Passionate about the show but who has now found the rest of the WEST END.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Tuesday 16th.
Dean
Joe
Emily.

Another very solid show from Dean last night. Some very nice acting touches throughout showing Dean has really worked at this aspect of his performance. Despite a wayward suitcase that seemed to have a mind of it's own when he came offstage at the end Dean was firmly in control throughout and gave plenty for Joe C (Dad) and Tim F (Tony) to work with. Nice empathy with caroline D (Mrs W) especially with the parting remaks. Good interaction with Emily notably at the toilet cameo which brought much laughter from a generally quiet audience. Joe and Dean were very lively in 'Expressing' and Dean skipped faultlessly and with speed in BTB.
Joe was at his likeable best although he does tend to speak his first line before the music has finished so it is lost. Joe is looking more and more waifelike especially in the boxing scene but you cannot fault his 'but i'll miss you' which is said tenderly and with bags of meaning. I do worry though that Joe sometimes ambles about the stage looking 5 times his chronological age. I think it is the bent back that does it. Being wise before your years is one thing but..... Paddy as small boy certainly had the 'cute' factor well and truly mastered if my neighbours in Row B were anything to go by.
Another ageless performance by Ann and one from Phil S which engendered some wolf whistles at his BTB capers.
The miking last night bordered on the very loud which was a bit off putting as Dean and Caroline sounded as if they were shouting at each other at times.
It was disappointing to see so many empty seats especially in grand and dress circle. I guess it is that time of year when audiences for all theatres are hard to come by. Certainly last night's audience were again on the quiet side but you could not fault Dean for doing his best to engage with them as he unravelled Billy's complexities and ultimate joy at self discovery.
*Lottie*
Tony

Post by *Lottie* »

Wednesday November 17th

Billy; Act 1; Aaron Watson. Act 2; Rhys Yeomans
Michael; Reece Barrett
Debbie; Francesca Mango

This show was a bit of a milestone, my 10th performance. We decided to avoid looking at the cast board so we would get a surprise. I was very pleased to see Aaron when he walked on stage. I won’t hide my thoughts in saying he is a personal favourite. However I was hoping to see Scott or Rhys, I never seem to be able to catch them and have been desperate to see them for so long! Aaron seems to be taking the role that Ollie had, my most seen Billy. Talking to David in the interval we mentioned this so when David Massey announced before act 2 that Aaron had experienced a minor injury in act one and was to be replaced by Rhys I was over the moon. When he said Aaron was injured by first thought was initially worry, but the reassurance he was ok and the injury not effecting him finishing act 1 put my mind at rest and getting to see Rhys I was so pleased.

Act1; It was pretty evident early on that the audience was a flat one. It really did bring down the atmosphere a bit. It was my first time seeing Tim as Tony. Edward Sharpe as small boy… what a cutie. Aaron portrayed a very frustrated Billy throughout act one. I’ve said previously he is a very facial actor and all in the eyes. It is endearing. I don’t know if it linked to his injury because I have no idea when it occurred but I did see his performance as more serious than I have before. And did wonder afterwards if his extra frustration was linked it that. Either way it really added to seeing Billy in a different light. He showed a very disappointed boy after being un-praised by Mrs Wilkinson for his early efforts in the class and the strong drive to succeed was pushed through his dance. Determined to win some praise and attention. I don’t think I have ever thought about it this way before that Billy strives to succeed in one sense to gain some love and attention from another adult figure (Mrs Wilkinson) because of his deprivation of this at home due to tony and dad being too involved with the strike. E.g. “I’ve been with this boy for weeks now and you haven’t even noticed”. It seems an obvious statement but Aaron managed to bring it too the front this time around for me.
Grandma’s song was a highlight. Conscious of Ann’s departure I really got into it. Usually it isn’t one of my favourite moments but I really took to it taking this in mind. Ann truly IS grandma. The 27th is going to be a sad occasion. I always enjoy Aaron’s reactions throughout.
Ballet Girls were on top form tonight. The perfect amount of emphasis on their performance which at times can be viewed as over the top, and I have seen it been said. But I was drawn to a lot of them tonight, they were great.
Few hitches in Born to Boogie. Skipping ropes weren’t cooperating for Aaron or Genevieve. Despite that Aarons overall dance actions in this number were brilliant. Him and Genevieve flowed together beautifully in their joint movements. First time I have ever not known the audience to cheer or clap at Mr Braithwaite’s splits!
Reece was the star of express. Did I notice more new dress props? They seem to changed every time I come at the moment. Few mic troubles which I fear lost some of the funnier lines which added too the flat audience. But it didn’t alter the boy’s performance. Reece JUST beat Aaron on getting his tap shoes on. Thinking about it I wouldn’t say Aaron was as upbeat as usual.
In the toilet scene with Fran the eyebrow reaction that Aaron does makes me laugh so so much. It is hilarious.
Perfection in tap sounds in Angry Dance. Aaron is my favourite tapper. One of his strengths for sure. He executes the sounds without effort (I’ve tap danced from being very young).

Act 2; Rhys :) A funny line from the opening sequence something like; “baaa you’ve changed” – to Billy. That really got the audience and set them up for a much more responsive second half! Rhys captivated me straight away, what a smiley boy. You could just tell he loved every second up there. I couldn’t take my eyes off his every move. All the cast in Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher seemed to be working extra hard to motivate the audience and it definitely worked. The majority clapping along. All the reactions from the ensemble were louder than I’ve heard before when Joe is asked to sing .I liked it, it worked well being less subtle than usual.
Rhys’ singing voice. Wow. Well I’ve read in reviews about it before and now I understand what everyone has said. It truly is angelic. What a contrast to Aaron’s voice. Not in a bad way! I mean Aaron has always had a naturally deeper tone, which works. It works with the Geordie accent very well. I also defend that Aaron has a great singing voice because I feel it is more ‘real’ and believable. And I still stand by that he does the most natural accent. His voice is noticeably deepening further though; don’t grow up too fast Aaron! Rhys suggests a more vulnerable and innocent Billy, Aaron brings the tougher exterior. I have to emphasise BOTH work. All the boys being so different is what makes the show and it keeps it fresh!
The Dream Ballet was beautiful. I made sure to mainly watch Rhys; his arm and leg lines are all done so softly and with care. His turn out is the best I’ve seen and he has natural feet extension when pointing. His constant smile was contagious to the me, the audience and Sergio as Older Billy. Rhys is so small and light-footed he is able to move so swiftly and with ease around the stage.
Reece received a brilliant reaction for his ‘just a little bit’ scene and as usual the nutcracker line got the laugh of the night.
Electricity. I’d been waiting for this. And it was worth it. Seamless singing and expression combined with striking dance and of course the smile. Rhys’ gymnastics movements looked like they were a walk in the park for him and the whole dance looked effortless. Obviously just a complete natural talent for dance that was amazing to watch. A well deserved long applause with many audience members being brought to their feet and boy did he enjoy it.
Wow does Rhys like to eat. Again I had read as much but it did make us laugh the way he wolfed down everything off his plate and then shoved a whole biscuit in his mouth. Followed by a very generous drink of milk, there was barely any left once he was done!
Bit of an awkward moment when Tony grabs Billy after he lies about getting into the RBS. Tony and Dad celebrating with a link arm swing, Rhys attempts to join in but it doesn’t work. So he is just sort of celebrating on the spot? I don’t know, it just looked like it didn’t work out (well it didn’t) but I guess it would probably not be noticeable to general audience.
I felt letter reprise lost the Geordie accent in parts but I found it a rather emotional one. It was great to see a standing ovation straight away at curtain from a Wednesday night audience. Then another during the flip and bows.

Now I need a full Rhys show very soon!
(i never plan to write a long review but it always happens ;))
Charlotte

The Musical Vs The Film - " there's more depth & passion to it" - Scott Mckenzie 9.3.11
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Hi
A "Big Thank You" for your great review *Lottie* I have really enjoyed reading it.

Barry

Return to “Reviews - London”