Gallery Admin

Re: November 2010 - Reviews - London

Post by Billy Whiz »

Monday, November 29th.

Rhys
Reece
Emily Williams

NEW CAST'S FIRST SHOW

I'm not going to write a lot - hurrah I hear you all saying :)

I think the best compliment I can pay the cast is if anybody was seeing the show for the first time tonight then they would not have known that that was their first performance. Well done to everyone.

A special mention to Emily as Debbie. She is only 9 but what a powerful performance by her. Great stuff Emily.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

Many thanks to my UK friends for the above comments and reviews of your London production. For your information, I just completed a run of so many performances of Billy Elliot in Chicago I've actually lost count over the last 10 months. I will be traveling to your great city this weekend, during which time I will see both performances Saturday, Dec., 4. With deep regrets, The Chicago production closed this last Sunday and I was privileged to see the four final shows before saying good by to our own ensemble most of whom will be moving on to Toronto around the first of the year. Of course, my love for our four Billies goes without saying, as we have had a group of kids which, in my opinion, exceed any definition of grace, exuberance, phenomenally gorgeous, and possessing the "wow" factor, I think all of us so look for in all our Billies. It will be a pleasure to see a part of your line up while I'm on board, and given your own feelings for your cast, I know I will be enthusiastic in receiving your kids, and to be able to relish the great similarities these wonderful performers provide us each and every time we see them perform. Perhaps, I'll see some of you there. Kindest regards, Colin
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

Another amazing show last night. As Billy Whiz mentionned no one would have know it was a new cast besides the regulars. Everything went smoothly. Rhys was on and in my opinion it was a very big task for him. Not only did he have to perform a few new routines, but it was pretty much on his hands, even more than in other old cast members, to fill in any "mistakes" made by any of the new cast members. (hope this makes sense :oops: :oops: ). Well he was brilliant, exceptional once again. I'm sure that no one around needs to hear how perfect Rhys was again :D so I'll just say a few things about the changes. I loved how each new actor, most notably new dad, delivers the scenes in his own personal way. A lot of the dialogue has been altered but I'll leave the details on that to some of the actual native English speakers who can do a better job. The biggest change is in Express which is now the American version and my dear American friends you are not going to believe that but EVERYONE LOVED IT!!! Hahaha! The boys delivered it perfectly. And to think that just on Saturday they did it the old way! What a couple of professionals they are.
Loved Emilly the new Debbie. She's so so so tiny, just nine...
Well sorry I can't give more details, but once again I am using a public computer and there is a small line forming behind me waiting to use it...so I'd better go enjoy...the snow... :(
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Regarding the new version of Express. They haven't quite gone the whole hog with it. No mirror that lights up :( and they don't have all the lights round the stage - all they have added is extra glitter but it worked fine. The only sad note for me is the lines "Michael, the dresses are dancing" and "that's nothing, you should see what my underpants can do" have gone.

Another good change is Debbie now does not walk away from Billy when she makes her offer ;) in the toilet scene.
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Monday 29th November 2010

Fantastic debuts all around. Lots of tweeks and additions and some very long overdue and welcome omissions.

Very few nerves on display by the debutants. I felt Emily as new Debbie was very confident and looked like she had been doing the role for years. She kept her cool when Rhys took an age in the toilet scene and this also prompted much Forum discussion about having had lots of changes elsewhere, why could they not add a line or two here just so that it makes sense and allow time for the kids to change and get their breath back. Liked the new bonking reference though. And thank God Debbie assumed the old sensible position after the proposition. The ballet girls were superb.

Very likable performances from new dad and Tony, likewise from George and Mr Braithwaite although I feel the panto scene front of curtain was very flat and will need to some work there to build up some banter. Grandma failed to display much frailty of mind or body and some work is required there but having said that I still enjoyed her performance.

New Express went down very well although I personally never liked the addition of the dancing trousers. The joke has finally gone about the A flat minor which I remarked to the forum was getting a bit un-PC with all the mining fatalities recently. But with the new lighting and choreography it was a welcome improvement and probably the worst kept secret of all the changes.

Now I know why dad calls Mrs W a f-f-fruit!!

I felt Rhys and Reece coped admirably with the changes through-out and rightly deserved their ovations at the end. Any Billy virgins would almost certainly be oblivious to the fact there were any changes and debuts apart from the addendum in the programme being thicker than the programme itself.

And finally
My favourite Leslie Nielsen quote as he breaks into a gangsters lair and is confronted:
“who are you and how did you get in here?”
“I’m the locksmith and er I’m the locksmith”. Brilliant. Could you imagine Nielsen playing dad?
I only mention Nielsen in part tribute here because I told some NY Forum last month that Greg Jbara reminded me of a cross between Neilsen and Homer Simpson.

Alex.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Great pictures Remi :D :D :D

AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Sorry I meant to delete the Mrs W and fruit reference entirely from the review having realised my mistake. Sorry for the confusion.

Be interesting to see the size of the audience tonight with so much snow around and another 20cm forecast. Of interest is there is one metre of snow in parts of County Durham, now that would be a site if they repeated that on stage in the snow scene. Like to be the poor bugger in seat A3 if that happened!!!

Alex
Chris
Tall Boy

Post by Chris »

AJ HOLDEN wrote:
Be interesting to see the size of the audience tonight with so much snow around and another 20cm forecast. Of interest is there is one metre of snow in parts of County Durham, now that would be a site if they repeated that on stage in the snow scene. Like to be the poor bugger in seat A3 if that happened!!!
It was pretty empty last night; the Grand Circle was shut, I believe, and there were a fair few empty seats in the stalls. The audience, such as it was, was pretty responsive, though. I thought the new cast did a pretty good job, on the whole. Dianne Langton's performance as Grandma was so different from the way in which Anne (and Romy) portray Grandma. I think the new George needs to engage in a bit more banter in the curtain scene, but this will come with time. I had no particular feelings about the changes to Express; I prefer how Debbie delivers her controversial line now. Think Martin Marquez reminded me a little of James Gaddas as Dad. Liked the new Tony.
"In everything you do, always be yourself"
Remi
Small Boy

Post by Remi »

Thanks David, looking forward to seeing yours ;)
SatinandLace
Tall Boy

Post by SatinandLace »

It's been ages since I've posted a review on the forum, and even longer since I posted a review of the London show, but I have to comment about the new cast on Monday.

It was my first time seeing Rhys and what an amazing Billy he is! So charismatic and confident, yet emotional in all the right places. Loved him!

I thought Martin and Tom were fantastic and seemed to play off of each other very well.

The George character was alright in the boxing scene, but pretty terrible in the panto. This has GOT to get better.

Emily is a FANTASTIC Debbie in every sense of the word. So sassy and adorable, she delivered her lines perfectly with just the right amount of attitude.

The ballet girls were excellent, not sure if this was the debut of a new team or not.

I liked the changes to express, but I always find the trousers so distracting in Broadway & Chicago. I too was hoping the mirror and stage lights would make an appearance, but that was not to be.

Anyway, I thought the new cast was very good overall and I'm sure will get even better with time. It was so nice to be back at the "mother church" after several years and it seems the show is still in good hands. :)
~Lauren~
8xTrent 3xSam 3xLayton 2xJosh F. 4xCorey
1xFox 1xHogan 2xScott 1xRhys
4xDavid 4xKiril 1xTanner
2xCesar 1xTommy 1xJ.P.
2xDaniel 2xLex 2xGuiseppe
1xKylend 1xKaine 1xJosh B.

Return to “Reviews - London”