Chat about other shows here
MrWestEnd
Ballet Girl

Re: Wicked

Post by MrWestEnd »

Oooh! I have a secret on how I am going to hear Defying Gravityyy

Its very secretive!!!
Only one more night everyone!!
"Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher, We all celebrate today, Cause it's one day closer to your death" - Billy Elliot the musical - Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher

"Do you think the wizard is dumb? Or like munchkins so small minded?" - Wicked - The Wizard and I
ITK
Tall Boy

Post by ITK »

MrWestEnd
Ballet Girl

Post by MrWestEnd »

Good Luck Kerry Ellis!!!!!!
With your final show :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I can never watch Wicked again!
But have fun Kerry and the audience!
Including my sister! Who is nice enough to sign a programme for me and sell it to me!!!
"Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher, We all celebrate today, Cause it's one day closer to your death" - Billy Elliot the musical - Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher

"Do you think the wizard is dumb? Or like munchkins so small minded?" - Wicked - The Wizard and I
ITK
Tall Boy

Post by ITK »

MrWestEnd wrote:

Why can't you watch Wicked again?
MrWestEnd
Ballet Girl

Post by MrWestEnd »

ITK wrote:
MrWestEnd wrote:

Why can't you watch Wicked again?
Well i can. Its just im not so keen on alexias singing. I could go see it but i wouldnt enjoy it as much

ITK
Tall Boy

Post by ITK »

MrWestEnd wrote: Well i can. Its just im not so keen on alexias singing. I could go see it but i wouldnt enjoy it as much

Don't judge someone's whole performance on a few clips on youtube. That's just silly.
MrWestEnd
Ballet Girl

Post by MrWestEnd »

Well that is true.
As singers are nearly always better live!
Especially Casts from musicals!

Alex
Ballet Girl

Warning: Gratuitous Fan-boying Ahead!

Post by Alex »

*sob* Well, I guess it had to happen at some point, didn’t it? Last night, The Almighty Sexy Skirtless Goddess of Song graced the stage of the Apollo Victoria theatre, supposedly for the last time. I was lucky enough to be amongst the hundreds of Wicked fans (seated in the stalls, no less!) there to witness her final show.

Well, obviously, I spent the entire day with that (slightly terrified and worried) kid before Christmas feeling. It’s a bit pathetic really – had to keep saying to myself “Mature, respected members of society can be sad obsessive nerds too.” But anyway – onto the show.

Well, if you’re here, you’ve probably seen it, or have a basic grasp of what it’s about. If not, I suggest you stop reading, book tickets and go. Anyway – the point is, I’m not going to outline the entire plot. Nor am I going to say exactly what Kerry did differently that night – she did faaaaar too much. Instead, I’m just going to highlight a few key points.

1) The Wizard and I. I love this song. But it IS Kerry’s first major solo piece, so she always holds back, just so that she can get through the rest of the musical. This time, she didn’t hold back whatsoever. She’d sounded a bit nasally the week before when I saw her, but that had vanished completely. Some nice vocal-work throughout, little riffs etc. But the major stuff comes late in the song – the riff that she put onto the long ‘with me’ was absolutely incredible, and made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up! And we had the famous ‘things I’ve never felt’ riff just after that! Finally, as she sang ‘when people see me, they will scream!’ she cupped a hand to her ear, inciting cheers from the audience. Marvellous! And her face after the song was soooo sweet – she knew she’d not only pulled it off. She’d hit it out of the ballpark in a huge way!

2) What Is This Feeling? Ah, dear old Elphie and Galinda have it out in a big way in this song! Not really much to be said here, but Dianne and Kerry were having the time of their lives!

3) Classroom Scene/Something Bad. Again, not much to say, but the ensemble work was utterly fantastic. Nadine Cox had everyone in stitches, which is very nice, seeing as it was her last night. It was also Andy Mace’s last performance as Doctor Dillamond. Have to say, I’ve never really liked him as the old Goat. But I have been lucky enough to see him as the Wizard several times, and he’s been absolutely fantastic. He just bought so much energy to the role, which he seems to lack as Dillamond. So yes – would’ve liked to have seen him promoted, really.

4) Popular. Dianne had everyone in stitches, as per usual. Where she gets the energy to throw herself around like that, I have no idea! Again, looked as if she was having the time of her life. Hilariously, she had to help Kerry untangle her wig (something went very wrong during the ‘toss-toss!’) which just added to the hysterics of the audience.

5) Meeting the Wizard. This scene, all the way through to the end of Defying Gravity is my favourite section of the musical. There is deception, defiance and drama of epic proportions! Dear old Desmond Barrit as the Wizard (I realised last night that I am actually going to miss him! He always has a laugh on that stage) and Harriet Thorpe as Morrible. I have loved Harriet from the start of her run – I was lucky enough to see her third show. She is absolutely vile, and by the end of the musical, you actually want to hit her. But this is where she shines. She plays Morrible like someone with multiple-personalities (“Oh, don’t worry your Ozness! I’LL HANDLE IT!!!!”). Great stuff!

6) Defying Gravity. Yes, the special part. The climax of Act 1. We may not have expected Kerry to completely nail The Wizard and I, but everyone expected something special for Defying Gravity. The first section was full of little riffs that she’d only rarely done before, if at all, and you could see from her expression that she was pouring her heart and soul into the performance. And then, of course, comes the exciting bit. Kerry rises above the audience amidst cheers and shrieks, and growls to the Wizard! And boy, what a growl! Fiercest thing I’ve ever heard! And then we had the first “ . . . gonna bring . . . MEEEEEE . . . DOWN!” She held that ‘me’ for much longer than usual, much to everyone’s glee. She absolutely sang her heart out, so much that she had to take an extra breath before that last note!

7) The Wicked Witch of the East. Caroline Kieff’s last performance as Nessarose, and Jeremy Legat’s last as Boq. I have grown to adore Caroline over her run – initially, I didn’t think she was as good as Katie Rowley-Jones, but she has completely made the role her own! Very upset that she’s leaving.

8) Hark the Whirlwind/Catfight Scene. After an emotional As Long As Your Mine (which Kerry cried though) Kerry very sweetly finished by saying ‘for the last time, I feel . . . wicked’ Catfight scene was hilarious as usual. Always great fun to watch!

9) No Good Deed. “No good deed, will I dooooooooo . . . agaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiin!!!!” Nuff said. (Seriously, it cannot be put into words exactly how awesome this was.)

10) Speeches. Dianne did an absolutely brilliant job with her speech! She mentioned everyone leaving, and then Kerry thanked everyone. She said she’d loved working with Oliver, and then turned to Dianne and said ‘I don’t think I can even talk about you without crying!’ I hope everyone will join me in saying ‘awwwwww!’
(Then I tried to throw my underpants on the stage, and was restrained by the ushers, which somewhat ruined the moment! :lol: )

Impressions? A genuine, seriously awesome show. I thought I’d be a lot more upset at Kerry’s departure (and I’m sure I will, when it actually sinks in – at the moment, I’m part convinced, she’ll be there when I go back) but I think it’s mainly down to the fact that the show was so utterly satisfying in every single way, I have absolutely nothing to complain about.
I am now going to curl up under a duvet – getting home and finding that your electricity has been turned off, along with the thermostat, is not fun whatsoever. I have power now . . . but it's gonna take a while to warm up!!
And on a Billy-related note – roll on Tuesday!!
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."

Pratchett.
MrWestEnd
Ballet Girl

Post by MrWestEnd »

Ooh sounds great!! Wish i was there!
My sister was and she said it was a great time!
There is a facebook group and it has Defying Gravity on it!
She also took pictures of the cast!!! And on one of Kerry she has some green in her ear!! :D

If they dont let Kerry in the Wicked movie. If they make one.
I will be VERY shocked!
As no one is better then Kerry!
She gives Elpheba a bubbly character which kind of makes sense for some one in a school!
And also something else that my sister told me about Wicked

At the end of As long as your mine - Usually Kerry says "Its like for the first time I feel .... Wicked"
On saturday she said "Its like for the last time I feel ..... Wicked!"
Which i think was very clever!

I think im going to try and get tickets to see her in June! Not sure yet though!!!

MrWestEnd
Ballet Girl

Post by MrWestEnd »

Ok then as I said I would I have got some pictures!
Of Kerry, Oliver and Dianne and one of Jeremy.
Elphaba, Fyiero, Glinda and Boq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU-eiALQPHU

Woww! Listen to them Cheers!!!
I have a picture of Brian May entering the Theatre but you can hardly see him just make his outline out.
Thanks to my sister for taking these pictures!

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - UK”