Spider-man - Turn Off The Dark

Chat about other shows here
atreyu
George

Re: Spider-man - Turn Off The Dark

Post by atreyu »

With all due respect to Muppet, I must disagree with his ranking of this show even though we saw different versions of it. It is a significant, wondrous technological advancement on Broadway and quite a visual spectacle, that much I grant. Impressive to see not only the performers flying around the theater, but also seeing how they achieve these feats to some extent. For many, that may be enough to make it worth seeing. But for me, I'll just say I'm glad I only paid the 50% TKTS price.

I thought the score was pretty good also. There is reason behind U2's success all these years.

The biggest issue for me, though, was wishing that there were better material for the score to support and for the talented performers to work with. I have now watched the Nightline report and would say that the new director accomplished a significant part of the retuning goal in making a more coherent storyline. But I have to cringe to think of what it was before retooling. Because at the end of the day, the plot and the manner of presenting it rises to no more than the level of a Saturday morning cartoon. Okay, I know this is likely to be the nature of something that is derived from a comic strip and includes youngsters as part of the target audience. But there are better interpretations than this.

I also was not real thrilled with the sets and choreography, particularly in the first act. The thought that came to mind during that time was that if this production had been a motion picture, it would be a straight-to-video release. To call it a B movie would be generous. It was a good thing, though, that I did not walk out at intermission; the second half was considerably better. Best line of the show occurred then when (as best I remember) the Green Goblin, in the context of havoc that would be wrought upon New York City, included a reference to "a 65 million dollar disaster, no 75 million"; humorous self-deprecation is a plus in my book. :)

It's also a fair possibility that I just may be a wet blanket. Much of the audience responded positively and gave a standing ovation at the end. For me, this was much more of a reminder of just how great a show BETM is, that it works on just about any and every level, angle and dimension. We don't have to apologize for a glaring and what I would say is overwhelming weakness such as what Spider-Man has imho. Not intending to be glib, but I really do conclude that seeing BETM a 10th, 25th or 50th time most likely is better than seeing many other shows. (Acknowledging that I have to extrapolate there since I only have the credentials at this point to talk about the 15th viewing).
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

Even Sesame Street has created a parody to poke fun at the mishaps of Spiderman. :lol:

"SpiderMonster, The Musical" - Sneak Peek
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR1DdMeVqTw
:/
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Oh, how funny! Thanks for the link. :D
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

New reviews are starting to come in after the official Opening Night last night. This one is from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/theater/re ... dark_n.htm
Ellen

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

New reviews are starting to come in after the official Opening Night last night. This one is from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/theater/re ... dark_n.htm
Ellen

porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Broadwayworld.com brings us David Letterman's Top Ten List of changes to "Spiderman - Turn Off the Dark" :)

http://broadwayworld.com/article_/index ... s-20110615
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Loved it ! Thanks for posting the link for that.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

Sunday, September 25, 2011
3 PM Performance
Spider-Man played by: Posh Boy*
(Matthew James Thomas)

SOME

Some part of me did always want to see Spider-Man, but I honestly didn't think I would ever go see it. On Sunday, some of my fellow Billy friends got rush tickets, and asked if I wanted to go for just $39, which I decided I did. Getting some Spider-Man into my life wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. So we got to the show and our $39 rush seats were in the second to last row of Orchestra, but some rows of seats in front of us were empty, so the manager encouraged us to move up.

As the orchestra began playing, some people started cheering, either because they were excited or just expecting a bloodbath, I couldn't tell.

The first 15 minutes of the show were mostly exposition, and were some of the least enjoyable moments I've ever spent in theatre. Some of the special effects were cool, but they felt like gimmicks more than wow-inducers. Overall the show was good though--not great, but good--and some of the show was absolutely amazing. I gasped out loud when Peter Parker got bitten, I laughed loudly at various points, and something about the show just made me want to enjoy myself more and more as it went on, and enjoy it I did.

There were some really stupid parts, some really emotional bits and even a few really good songs. The second act was so filled with action, some really great entertainment value! Overall I enjoyed the show, and some of you would too. Though I'd only give it a C+ or B-, I'd be lying if I said I didn't really, really enjoy it some of the time. And by the close of the show, I must admit, I may have shed some tears and even stood to applaud.

I hope you've enjoyed this brief review, or at least some of it.

;)

Sean

*The guy who played Spider-Man also played the part of Posh Boy (Simon) in the original 2000 movie, Billy Elliot, a movie you should see sometime.

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

angelenroute wrote: *The guy who played Spider-Man also played the part of Posh Boy (Simon) in the original 2000 movie, Billy Elliot, a movie you should see sometime.
What's it about? :D :D ;)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

I just read through all of the comments to this thread and was interested to see one ultra-positive review, one pretty negative review and then mine which falls somewhere in the middle. I look forward to hearing what other people think.

Would like to add onto what others have discussed here. The musical is a combination of the first movie and the comic books. So you'll pretty much see most of the same storyline from start to finish that was in the movie, with some changes, additions and subtractions.

On the positive side, the sets are very cool and even got applause in some places. The flying and other stunt effects are awesome. By the end of the second act, you feel like you just lived through a real action movie sequence.

And then the negative: Sometimes as a writer, I'll move a sentence to a different paragraph or place, and don't realize how much I've damaged the flow of the piece. That's what I feel happened in this show. It's been reworked so often that it is just too busy in some places while too slow in others.

"Funnily enough", I do think they should keep tweaking the show now that it's opened. You've come so far, may as well finish the job! I really think that with some more work and some quality minds, this show could easily jump to an A+ piece of theatre. And I really hope they keep pursuing that goal!

Sean

P.S. Bill yEll iot is a very subversive movie and stage show about yelling. When Bill iot loses half his family's mortgage on a horse race, he becomes an angry, abusive man who yells all the time. After finally conceding to take anger management classes, he gets his yelling under control. It's a really beautiful, inspiring story!

P.P.S. Sorry I'm just tired. ;)

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee

Return to “Discuss all other Shows - New York”