January 2011 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Re: January 2011 Reviews - London

Post by Billy Whiz »

athadj wrote:
AJ HOLDEN wrote: One audience member has come over from watching 140 Jersey Boys Shows to follow Tom Lorcan and an ensemble member from the show. Fancy watching so many shows!!! Must be mad.
Yep some people are mad :lol: :lol: :lol:
I agree. Who would do a stupid thing like that :D :D ;)
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Monday 18th January: Rhys, Connor Lawson, and Fran with David Bardsley as George, Stevie Hutchinson as Tony and Romy as Gran.

Empty Grand circle ( ? a sign of economic times as it is a regular weekday occurance now) and a placid audience led to a distinct feel of a lack of buzz and sparkle especially in Act 1. From a performance point of view the stand out was Stevie Hutchinson as alternate Tony. A very moving and empathic performance of the highest quality. We started off with George as per usual only for David Bardsley to come on and take over for the boxing scene. Do not what happened there. David's take on the boxing scene was unique in that he seemed to make up the lines as he went along. Full marks to Rhys and Connor for keeping pace with him.
Rhys gave a very solid and accurate performance as did Connor and Fran but somehow the extra panache was not there.
Rhys is not always noted for a melt down in the Angry Dance but last night to his his credit there was a lot of fervour. Dream sequence and Electricty both highlighted his balletic and gymnastic skills. In the latter he was not shy at throwing himself about.
Both Billy and Michael were supported by family members in the audience and at the end the audience did rouse to give a standing ovation which will have pleased them. However overall for those 5 Forum regulars there last night there was a feeling of something missing even if it was hard to put the finger on exactly why.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Deanfan5.

I guess it was "just one of those nights".
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

A lackluster BETM is still the best show in town.

I took a Billy Virgin with me last night (Monday) and he felt it was the best show he has ever seen in his life and couldn't understand how we were a bit critical - not of the actors but the overall atmosphere and feel of the show. He just could not believe how hard everyone works, the amount of work the kids do and their all round skills. He will be back. Another convert to the BETM church.

I loved David Bardsley's George. As Deansfan pointed out, David seemed to be ad libbing most of the boxing scene and rushing the odd line I could remember so that when Billy (Rhys) took his cue to say "look everyone else is leaving", poor Small Boy was still putting his coat on, looked up and scuttled to the front of the stage to say "see you George". Bless him, he didn't panic. Brilliant. I loved David's front of curtain pre panto - looked and sounded under-rehearsed, but I really enjoyed it all the more for that.

Rhys was on great form. I thought he pulled out the letter instead of the packet soup and imagined a potential disaster if he handed Mrs W the soup instead of the letter and explain to her that his mum gave it to him for when he was 18 but opened it a few years early. But disaster averted since the soup packet was correct all along, it only appears smaller and whiter than it did before.

Big depression started, my next scheduled show is April, have to do something about that!

Alex
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

Deanfan5 wrote: Empty Grand circle ( ? a sign of economic times as it is a regular weekday occurance now) and a placid audience led to a distinct feel of a lack of buzz and sparkle
Sorry to hear this. A lot of empty seats do tend to put a damper on the atmosphere I think. Whenever the auditorium is full, it tends to create a buzz in the air as if everyone feels like they're fortunate to be among those who got in.

Are other shows in London having the same problem these days with quite a few empty seats during weekday performances ?
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Two points from Monday that I failed to put in my review which occured to me later:
1. Re-introduction of the full dialogue about deputy manager etc. at the toilet scene so it makes so much more sense now.
2. Mr Braithwaite has stopped thumbing his nose at Billy after the ballet rousse speach. I am pleased as I found it very demeaning to Billy. Mr B backward movements at the end of B to B do though remind me of circus seal :roll: Does anyone else feel the same?
Bungie
Small Boy

Post by Bungie »

Empty Grand Circle.? From memory, I think I recall the same happening in previous years, especially in the early part of the week. just after New Year to about mid February. Most businesses will tell you it's a really slack time of the year. Add in the recession and its understandable (although undesireable). My friends tell me tickets for other shows are readily available. Fingers crossed. I want BE to roll on and on, its such a wonderful show.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Matinee 22nd. Dean as Billy. Connor Kelly as Michael and Fran as Debbie.
Romy as Gran and Alan Bradshaw as Mr B.

This was a signed show for those with a hearing impairment. I have seen the lady who signs before and as someone who has signed in the past I can say she is excellent and I was tempted to watch her at key points as she is so expressive. Dean does not really do emotion in the Letter scene but by God she did. Full marks for the ribbing she took from George at the curtain scene. Firstly being called 'Flower' and secondly being told that he expected she could not sign 'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious'! :o Eat your heart out George as she did it without batting an eyelid. Cheeky George asked her then to sign 'wxxxxxg' which she did without a blush to which re retorted 'yes we do it like that in Newcastle as well' :lol:
All in all avery robust show to a busy house who appreciated Dean who was at his most athletic and best. The signer commented to the House Managers after Act 1 how good she felt he was and so full of energy.
I had not seen Connor for a long time and how nice to see him in the green gress. I hope they have cast the old one he and Joe used to wear into the reserve pile. Conor was funny and intuitive throughout and the trademark pavaroti moment in Expressing Yourself showed remarkable power and breath control for the length of time he held the note.
I like Alan Bradshaw as Mr B. He certainly outskipped Dean and Mrs W with the accuaracy and timing of his skipping.
We were quite low in male swing for this show and I counted at least 3 WPCs to make up numbers.
George ( Chris McGlade) is certainly finding his comic touch at the curtain scene ribbing a lady in the audience with a 'scruffy' husband. Telling her he had seen better dressed wounds. :o
By far the most suspect performance of the afternoon was the suitcase which would not open and then would not shut and then fell off the chair spilling the clothes Dean and Dad had packed so carefully :D
A good atmosphere and a very classy show but for me (sorry Dean) the interpreter stole it.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

Deanfan5 wrote:Matinee 22nd. Dean as Billy. Connor Kelly as Michael and Fran as Debbie.
Romy as Gran and Alan Bradshaw as Mr B.

This was a signed show for those with a hearing impairment. I have seen the lady who signs before and as someone who has signed in the past I can say she is excellent and I was tempted to watch her at key points as she is so expressive. Dean does not really do emotion in the Letter scene but by God she did. Full marks for the ribbing she took from George at the curtain scene. Firstly being called 'Flower' and secondly being told that he expected she could not sign 'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious'! :o Eat your heart out George as she did it without batting an eyelid. Cheeky George asked her then to sign 'wxxxxxg' which she did without a blush to which he retorted 'yes we do it like that in Newcastle as well' :lol:
All in all avery robust show to a busy house who appreciated Dean who was at his most athletic and best. The signer commented to the House Managers after Act 1 how good she felt he was and so full of energy.
I had not seen Connor for a long time and how nice to see him in the green dress. I hope they have cast the old one he and Joe used to wear into the reserve pile. Connor was funny and intuitive throughout and with his trademark Pavaroti moment in Expressing Yourself he showed remarkable power and breath control for the length of time he held the note.
I like Alan Bradshaw as Mr B. He certainly outskipped Dean and Mrs W with the accuaracy and timing of his skipping.
We were quite low in male swing for this show and I counted at least 3 WPCs to make up numbers.
George ( Chris McGlade) is certainly finding his comic touch at the curtain scene ribbing a lady in the audience with a 'scruffy' husband. Telling her he had seen better dressed wounds. :o
By far the most suspect performance of the afternoon was the suitcase which would not open and then would not shut and then fell off the chair spilling the clothes Dean and Dad had packed so carefully. :D
A good atmosphere and a very classy show but for me (sorry Dean) the interpreter stole it.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Thanks Deanfan5 for the review.

I've attended a signed show and the signer really earned her money. They even brought her on for a bow at the end with the rest of the cast.

Return to “Reviews - London”