Miner

January 2011 Reviews - London

Post by Westletonion »

A place for January 2011 reviews
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Re: January 2011 Reviews - London

Post by Deanfan5 »

Thursday matinee 6th January. Dean, Connor Lawson,Emily Williams. Caroline D as Mrs W, Sergio as Older Billy and Romy as Gran.

There have been recent changes in the breakfast scene and on balance I felt these were for the best as it is now much slicker with Dad wearing trousers from the off and the miners coming on collectively and the adulation of Arthur Scargill now heard off stage.The overall effect was much pacier although the loss of 'all property is theft comrade' reduces the political impact which is now set in the opening Pathe news clip as opposed to the first scene opening as before.
Dean gave a typically Dean performance full of energy and determination throughout particularly in the Angry Dance which was total quality. I think we are seeing Dean at the peak of his performances at the moment. His portrayal of Billy is totally believable as it moves from uncertainty tinged with rebellion to complete acceptance of the dream culminating in a very polished Electricity. Dean's singing and acting are a reward in themselves for your theatre ticket.
This was my second viewing of Connor Lawson having seen him last on his opening night. I remain very very impressed with him. Connor brings a very unique take to his Michael with little added lines ( particularly those from his native north east roots), glances and moves. Expressing Yourself one feels has been elevated to a new level by Connor as he 'seduces' Billy into a new level of fun to which Dean totally capitulated by entering into the spirit of it all which added to the audience enjoyment of the scene. By just being himself Connor l brings a tremendous sense of verve and panache whenever he is on stage. He truly is find by the casting team.
This was my first sight of Emily Williams. She is a very spirited performer for her size and her ballet moves and general dance are a real plus. Her acting is still very much a case of work in progress but all the signs are there that she will be a winner in that department as well.
I want also to congratulate Ashley Andrews for his near perfect Scottish accent (the best I can recall in the 5 years I have been going to the show) and also the interactions with Dad at the curtain scene which brought back memories of Phil Whitchurch and the humour he brought to that scene.
Overall a very enjoyable show well appreciated by the audience and the many Forum members present. The axis of enjoyment though continues to revolve around Dean who has matured into a very class act as Billy.
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Do you mean Phil Whitchurch?
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
Deanfan5
Ballet Girl

Post by Deanfan5 »

ERinVA wrote:Do you mean Phil Whitchurch?
Yes. Changed. Memory goes with age.

I am surprised that no one has reviewed the evening show last Thursday which was Scott, Reece, and Francesca. There were many Forum members there!

To say that the show was stunning is an underestimation of the quality Scott brought to the stage. The applause after Electricity must have lasted well over two minutes such was the bond that Scott developed with the audience who let him move on oh so reluctantly. The standing ovation was audience wide not just us regulars. At the end in the finale dance Scott was having a ball whooping at the audience and encouraging participation. A word also about his amazing skipping routine to which Scott has added additional cross- body elements which make it even harder to do. Quite incredible. Huge audience applause as well.
Of course it was not just Scott as Reece and Fran also played their parts to perfection.
This was an audience that was really up for it and applauding Gran before she had finished her song and the miners when they went down.
All in all a really moving show made more magical by an outstanding performance from Scott. Definitely one of his best.
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

Thursday 13th January 2011 matinee and evening
Scott/Reece/Francesca
Arron/Connor K/Emily S

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Over a month since my last show. I saw 18 different productions in that month from local amateur dramatics, half decent and fun pantos up to Matthew Bournes’ Cinderella. The topic of conversation on leaving each and every one of the shows is how they compare to BETM. They are all great fun in their own way and I would want to revisit many but BETM still sets the bench mark by which I compare all other shows and is still absolutely unbeatable. I still get that feel good feeling days before a show knowing that a show is imminent. No other show has ever done that and I suspect none ever will.

All the kids are excellent at the big things – the dancing, acting and singing but it is the little things that make up the whole and Scott has improved on these little things since I last saw him start a couple of shows in September. His timing was top, some fantastic facial expressions through-out and some excellent emotion and plenty of tears during The Letter.

Reece was great fun. I simply love his expression after Billy swears aloud when he discovers him in a dress, when he looks behind him all confused. Such brilliant acting. It was funny to see Reece’s reaction when David Burton showed him the Wicked programme as Reece sat in the Billy bus. (PS Dave said he enjoyed Wicked – Hmmm, the less said the better). At least we weren’t cheeky enough to ask Reece to autograph it.

Small boy was hysterical. I confess I have no idea of his name but one of the many forum there Thursday may be able to answer. The noise he makes as he collapses in a heap from the press ups was so funny, it is difficult to get right but he got it to perfection.

In my last albeit brief review last month I still had issues with George and the front of curtain sequence, but today Chris McGlade as George was far more relaxed and had some terrific banter with the audience. It was so good I was sorry it wasn’t longer. Some half decent heckling from the audience too which Chris can handle very well. In the afternoon show George told an awful joke (well since we lost the awful joke in Express I suppose we have to have one somewhere) after picking the winning raffle ticket and although some forum said he often tells a joke I got the idea Scott and Tony Lorcan had no idea that it was coming, at least that’s what Scott said to Tony off mike.

I confess I had to leave straight after the matinee Electricity but the forum said it was a good finish and excellent finale. In 4 attempts I have yet to see Scott in a finale but I can’t wait for his next show to put that right.

The production team keep us busy keeping up with all the changes. Some are very clever and welcome and I always admire that the cast keep up with and remember all the changes. Although it has been around quite some time now I particularly like the extra time it takes to rewind the broken tape with the pencil and the way the Billy’s stop to smile at pencil man half way through. Both Scott and Aaron had particularly cheeky smiles. I also like the piano mans’ reaction when he realises Billy only has a tape and not sheet music for the audition. Yet to be won over by the shortened breakfast scene, I think it is now so similar to New York’s I couldn’t recall a difference. Not sure quite why the scene has to change so much, it wasn’t tired or faulty.

I was back for the evening show which was just as good as the afternoon. Naturally Aaron was simply brilliant from start to finish.

When Connor K gets the winter scene right he steals the show. He was at the top of his game tonight, for such a young actor to get the timing to perfection for his delivery of the Nutcracker line – 10 seconds from the splits to deliver the line when some others are guilty of criminally killing the punch line. The look on Connors face through-out is so funny, I just hate sitting in row A because he faces the other way in the boxing and start of the winter scene.

Plenty of forum in today. It was a pleasure to meet you all and say hello to a few new faces. We all enjoyed the shows, great energy through-out and always all the more impressive for doing two shows in the day (the cast being impressive not the forum). Some good audiences today, good banter and heckling from the matinee audience and a lot of enthusiasm from the evening audience. One audience member has come over from watching 140 Jersey Boys Shows to follow Tom Lorcan and an ensemble member from the show. Fancy watching so many shows!!! Must be mad.

Will be back Monday B16 and B17 – got the feel good feeling already,
Alex
*Lottie*
Tony

Post by *Lottie* »

AJ HOLDEN wrote: It was funny to see Reece’s reaction when David Burton showed him the Wicked programme as Reece sat in the Billy bus. (PS Dave said he enjoyed Wicked – Hmmm, the less said the better). At least we weren’t cheeky enough to ask Reece to autograph it.

:lol:
Charlotte

The Musical Vs The Film - " there's more depth & passion to it" - Scott Mckenzie 9.3.11
jen
Miner

Post by jen »

Is Diane back playing Grandma?
It is a great show that people do come and see. Because it's not
just a show for adults, or just for children, or just for people that
like theatre, I'd say for everyone, and it's got so much emotion
behind it. Because who ever comes and sees it, feels the story -
so I think: it's brilliant!" (GM)
AJ HOLDEN
Tall Boy

Post by AJ HOLDEN »

No sign of Diane yet but Romy was simply excellent as usual.

Alex
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Wednesday 12th Jan 7-30pm

Dean/ Reece/ Francesca

This believe or not was only my 2nd visit for an evening performance, again what a great show, a good response from the audience which inspires everyone, the cast always seem to be full of enthusiasm.
Chris McGlade and Kevin Patrick have settled into their parts bringing in their own styles which I really enjoy, Romy again is a real laugh as Grandma.
Another strong performance from Dean, my most seen Billy, he put so much effort into the Angry Dance, also linked up well with Reece in Expressing Yourself, the audiece loved it,
Reece to me shows a bossy, impish Michael and plays that part very well.
Yes another great show throughout well deserved standing ovation from the audience for the finale.
Thanks Alex for covering the Thursdays performances. I just like to say it's a while since I've seen Aaron, Gosh! hasn't he grown, I agree he put on a great performance, Well Done! Aaron. Yea, Connor Kelly his timming is 1st class, I've said it before his expressions have me in stitches.
Hope to be down again 9th/10th Feb.

Sorry- my corny Joke! Got really emotional this morning at the petrol station, I don't know why, I just started filling up!
athadj
Miner

Post by athadj »

AJ HOLDEN wrote: In 4 attempts I have yet to see Scott in a finale but I can’t wait for his next show to put that right.
Seriously Alex how did you manage that? Anyway, you really should see him, his finale is fantastic. He is so livelly and keeps wooing (?) to the audience and fellow cast members. You can clearly see the boy is enjoying himself.

AJ HOLDEN wrote: One audience member has come over from watching 140 Jersey Boys Shows to follow Tom Lorcan and an ensemble member from the show. Fancy watching so many shows!!! Must be mad.
Yep some people are mad :lol: :lol: :lol:
Athina

London
Liam x 1, Ollie x 4, Dean x 11, Rhys x 8, Aaron x 4, Scott x 9, Josh x 10, Ryan x 10, Adam x 6, Kaine x 7, Harris x 6, Harrison x 2
New York
Peter x 1

Return to “Reviews - London”