Boston, MA

atreyu
George

Re: Boston, MA

Post by atreyu »

To assist the many visitors coming to our fair city in navigating the streets of Boston, here is an excerpt from The Boston Handbook:

Pay no attention to the street names.
  • There's no school on School Street, no court on Court Street, no dock on Dock Square, no water on Water Street, Teal Square is not teal (nor is it square), Grove Hall is not a hall.
    There's no post office in Post Office Square.
Plus one more: That big ol' building that says State Street is not on State Street. That just refers to the one of the main tenants of the building, State Street Bank.

Yes, it can be a bit confusing at times. :D
ERinVA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ERinVA »

Hey! In Charlotte, NC, where I once lived, Park Road intersects Park Road. And, there is no park on it, to my knowledge. I guess all cities have their peculiarities when it comes to street names, but some moreso than others. It seems that Boston ranks pretty high on the list.
Ellen

"I don't want people who want to dance; I want people who have to dance.”
-George Balanchine 1904 -1983

To follow the forum's Twitter at http://twitter.com/BEForum, click on the direct link in Applies to All Forums above.
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

Nice publicity for the show in this interview with Noah on the local Fox TV station in Boston:
http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/190977 ... ot-musical
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

BEtourfan wrote:Nice publicity for the show in this interview with Noah on the local Fox TV station in Boston:
Your link did not work here, although the one you posted in Noah's thread works fine. This was a nice interview with Noah. :D
:/
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

CJ-Rochester wrote:
BEtourfan wrote:Nice publicity for the show in this interview with Noah on the local Fox TV station in Boston:
Your link did not work here, although the one you posted in Noah's thread works fine. This was a nice interview with Noah. :D
Fixed it ... thanks!
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

More publicity ... this from the CBS affiliate in Boston:
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/07/24/o ... ly-elliot/
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

Stage door for the Boston Opera House is on Mason Street, representing the back of the venue. Coordinates 42.354114,-71.06335
angelenroute
Billy

Post by angelenroute »

atreyu wrote:Stage door for the Boston Opera House is on Mason Street, representing the back of the venue. Coordinates 42.354114,-71.06335
10 points to Gryffindor for the geek factor in providing the coordinates, had never looked that kinda thing up in Google Maps before but worked perfectly, thank you. =) And looks like the fans would need to be bussed to the stage door as well after the show. :lol: I guess I won't be seeing them much then. Oh well. It really does feel great connecting with the cast and parents after a show, letting them know how much I enjoyed the performance, that I came from NY to see the show, etc. So to cast parents and/or cast reading this, know that I thought you were awesome!!!!!!!!! (even though I haven't seen the show in Boston yet lol)

Sean

"Good writers define reality; bad ones merely restate it." -Edward Albee
atreyu
George

Post by atreyu »

angelenroute wrote:10 points to Gryffindor for the geek factor in providing the coordinates, had never looked that kinda thing up in Google Maps before but worked perfectly, thank you. =) And looks like the fans would need to be bussed to the stage door as well after the show. :lol:
10 points, I'll take 'em. Had to do it that way since there's no real address there. It is a couple minutes walk, but obviously not like the Imperial and it's useful to see the map ahead of time. It is generally described as an "alley" even by the Opera House staff. So now you know there is a street name.

And being an "alley" in Boston, those from New York may need to be extra careful. Remember the events in The Departed that occurred at 344 Washington Street. Boston Opera House is 539 Washington Street. :o
CJ-Rochester
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by CJ-Rochester »

With some help from Google I came up with a few restaurants that are a short walk from the Opera House and appear to be reasonably priced.

UFood Grill - 530 Washington (same block as theater)
UBurger - 140 Tremont
Four Green Fields - 201 Washington Street (6 min walk)
Intermission Tavern - 228 Tremont (6 min walk)
Emmet's Irish Pub & Restaurant - 6 Beacon (10 min walk)
Parish Cafe - 361 Boylston (11 min walk)
:/

Return to “Billy Elliot the Musical - N. Amer./Int'l Tour”