March 2011 Reviews - London

Reviews of the show
SaveTheChickens
Audience Member

Re: March 2011 reviews - London

Post by SaveTheChickens »

WilliamElliot wrote:
dwallen wrote:It was a talking point during the interval that for brief moments a couple of times the 'Vote for Billy' caption appeared on the back wall of the set during the performance. Someone obviously had their finger on the projector button at the wrong time. Or did they? Mind you, perhaps it might subconsciously make some more people vote for 'The best show in London.'
Happened on Thursday too! Both performances had a small PowerPoint-style presentation running over the safety curtain advertising for people to vote in the Laurence Olivier awards. It flickered a little during Angry Dance too! :roll:
Subliminal advertising... it's the future!
Josh F x1 (1st March 2008)
Fox x1 (7th March 2009)
Aaron x1 (5th August 2010)
Dean x2 (5th August 2010/3rd March 2011)
Scott x1 (3rd March 2011)

ALL AMAZING!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

SaveTheChickens wrote: Subliminal advertising... it's the future!
The same thing crossed my mind :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

dwallen wrote: Just one comment for thought and it is not really a criticism. I think the f---- scene with Billy has been cut so much it hardly makes any contribution to the story. And while I have no problem with Debbie offering to show Billy .... I don't think it now receives enough reaction from the audiences to keep it in. Just a personal view but I would like to hear what others feel.
I can't speak for the London show - having not seen it there since last summer - but Debbie's big line still draws a good laugh from U.S. audiences. Of course here, the line is: "If you want, I'll show you me hoo-hoo."

The line that I think needs some work - or needs to be deleted - is when Debbie says, "My father was sh***ing someone at work. But now he's an alcoholic." At most, you'll hear a couple of laughs but usually it's greeted with silence, probably because nobody get's the joke (myself included).
*Lottie*
Tony

Post by *Lottie* »

Friday 11th March

Billy; Scott McKenzie
Michael; Reece Barrett
Debbie; Emily Williams

In the foyer before the show the cast board showed Josh as Billy. It was corrected in the interval. This was my second time seeing this trio together and my 3rd Scott show :)
It was the first time I’d seen the current Small Boy. He was still finding his feet at times, needing little hints here and there, a lot of support from the ballet girls etc. He was a hit with the audience in the boxing scene! Absoluely no problem with confidence on line delivery! There was a moment in Deep into the ground when Debbie has to take the ‘death stick’ from him but he was reluctant to give it up until the end of the song which resulted in a bit of struggling which I’m not sure was acting or not .
Really energetic ‘Stars Look Down’ opening. Can always tell if it has that extra spark as an indicator of a particularly memorable show!
My first time seeing Diane as Grandma. I agree with what I have read that she does play grandma as more alert than the original character. But I have never seen grandma get as great a response in a long time. The audience were so responsive to her in every scene. In grandmas song she emphasises certain words and phrases (e.g. in particular the swear words) and this got great reactions!
Emily playing Debbie reminds me exactly of the younger girls in my dance school here in Newcastle. Bit cheeky with a don’t care attitude but in reality they want to do well and love to dance! Her interpretation is really relatable. Had a line slip up in the toilet scene with a very fast recovery. Don’t worry Emily.
I think Reece is my most seen Michael now but I have never seen him as good as he was this Friday. He was ON IT. The audience were eating out the palm of his hand. He always brung something different to the character but he seems to be gradually bringing more and more individuality to the role. To me he seems such a boys boy Michael before he appears in the dress. And this adds a whole new comedy to it all because he has a less obvious ‘campness’. Possibly one of my favourite express’ scenes. And again I do love the whole new staging of it.
Scott really does strive for perfection in his performances. After reading about his disappointment last week and his stronger come back that just proves it. This strive and determination comes through in this portrayal of Billy too, which I love. I couldn’t help thinking of what he said in his interview this week about his dream role of Romeo. If he carries on this way he could easily do it! Dream Ballet was effortless and fluid. He pays every attention to every movement sharing his adoration of ballet with Billy completely. Plus I always notice how much he appears to enjoy being on the wire! Can’t wipe the permanent grin from his face even when spinning.
The dialog leading up to the letter required some clever improvisation when after a lot of searching the packet of soup appeared not to be in the bag. “I thought I had a packet of soup”. Scott just said it so casually and shrugged it off which made it even funnier. Also when Mrs Wilkinson comes across and snatches the letter from Billy; “What’s this? “…”It’s a letter” and she pretends to hand it back, Billy tries to get it before she pulls it away again. Well instead of the usual movement of Billy missing the trick, and Mrs W keeping it Scott grabbed it and said “got you that time” and had to give it back ;) (unless this is a new line im unaware of!)
He could be a star was always a favourite scene for me. But I have to admit since Joe and Craig left it was no longer. No disrespect to Martin and Tom at all they just control the emotion in a different way. But this time my favouritism definitely returned they have suddenly become so much more obviously emotional. Everything came through so well for me this time. Tony is definitely becoming a more angry and passionate Tony ! Brilliant. After the moment when the scab brings the money into the welfare he was so passionate and heated. Before the angry dance when Tony drags Billy up onto the table ‘dance you little ba*****’ he flung him with so much power the table moved and shook, along with Scott. Such a real moment . And again Scott delivered a very emotionally violent angry dance!
Electricity was rather flawless. Scott has a lovely natural singing voice and a great way with the words. As usual the true meaning was so so believable. The dance sequence was astounding. Long deserved clapping.

The audience were up on there feet at 3 separate moments in the finale. A really memorable show all round.
Thank you.
Charlotte

The Musical Vs The Film - " there's more depth & passion to it" - Scott Mckenzie 9.3.11
Finale
Former Admin

Post by Finale »

Thank you for that great review Lottie - glad to here it was a memorable show :D
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Wonderful review, Lottie. Thanks for bringing the show alive in words. Sounds like you had a memorable night.
dwallen
Small Boy

Post by dwallen »

That really was a great review, Lottie. I really enjoyed reading it and while I did so I thought, when can I get back to see the show again!
67 wonderful shows
21 marvellous Billys
Travis, Sam, Layton, Corey, Josh, Hogan, Fox, Brad, Tom, Tanner, Ollie, Dean, Rhys, Scott, Ryan, Josh Baker, Adam, Harris and Kaine, Harrison and Tade
2 First Nights - Ollie and Dean-Charles
8 Last Nights - Layton, Hogan, Brad, Fox, Tom, Ollie, Scott and Dean.
6 Anniversaries - 4th, 5th plus the second 5th Anniversary (May 12th 2010), 6th (March 2011) 7th (May 12th 2012) 8th (May 11th 2013)
1 Gala Night - May 30th 2012 - celebrating 7th Anniversary and 3,000 show.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

I have to agree with the others. A terrific review Lottie.

Things like the soup problem just prove what true professionals all the cast are. To be in front of 1,500 people and improvise without missing a beat shows great character.

Thankfully my next trip to London, which starts on April 27th, is not too far away, as I need a Billy fix :D
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
Barry Appleby
George

Post by Barry Appleby »

Hi
Wonderful review Lottie, really loved it, thanks again! I wonder if Scott had soup for his supper!

Barry
KeefyM
Michael

Post by KeefyM »

Great Reviews Lottie and everyone else who has reviewed the show this month.

We now have another change in the show which has just come in the last week, in that an old line has come back in Express
but seems to be at the cost of something else.

Michael now says again to Billy "I think you'd look cush in a tutu" in Express, after this line was dropped last year
but has been back in the show since last week.

However that line being back in seems to be at the expense of the camera, as there is no longer any camera for Michael to take a picture of Billy "one for the album" and he now just says "i think you'd look cush in a tutu" instead before running over to Billy and saying "here, put this on". So obviously Billy doesn't turn round now and say "what ya daeing ?" as Michael is no longer taking a picture.

Mind u, the camera has been playing up a lot in the last two weeks with Reece in particular doing some great improvisation after getting annoyed at the camera not working quite a few times and has said at least 2 or 3 times "bloody stupid thing, not working again" before slamming it back on the table in disgust. Brilliant.

A great show with Dean, Reece and Emily Williams on Tuesday even though the audience were flat as hell and only Statler (er.. I mean Dave) and I stood for Dean's Electricity which was a disgrace as it was a great performance with yet another infamous and brilliant Dean Angry Dance with plenty of swearing and many of the great unique little touches throughout the show that only Dean does that make his version of Billy so believable and very worthy of his status as Senior Billy.

New Billy Josh continues to shine with a stunning performance on Wednesday evening in only his 9th show.
Thankfully there was a much more livelier and up for it audience in tonight including a few school parties than the flat audience from Tuesday.
Josh might be the newest Billy but as I have said before it seems like he has played Billy for years as he shines throughout with such a natural and confident performance.
Superb acting, singing and dancing throughout with some great unique line delivery and pauses along with a great Geordie accent which make his Billy so believable. His Angry Dance & Electricity tonight were perfection and two of the best I have ever seen in 6 years of going to Billy. Plenty of swearing in Angry Dance as well (hurrah!). A great partnership with the brilliant Connor Lawson tonight and the lads were great together especially in the Winter Scene where their timing and acting was spot on. Josh really does shine in the Finale, leading the cast with plenty whooping, great dancing and his beaming smile really engaging & uplifting the audience. I have only seen Josh 3 times but I can tell you now, there is absolutely no doubt Josh is definitely going to be one of the all time Billy legends. Get booking your tickets to the VP now folks to see Josh and his great version of Billy as you will not be disappointed.

Nice to meet Josh's Mum and Dad afterwards as well.

Keep the reviews coming folks (and the corny jokes Barry) :lol:

Cheers
Keefy (aka Waldorf)
:D

Return to “Reviews - London”