April 2009 - UK reviews

iht
Small Boy

Re: April 2009

Post by iht »

Irishboi wrote:Great review Den! I bet the guy in the Sunderland shirt had been there before :D Glutton for punishment :P
That was me :D I was loving it! I think he picked up on it fairly early on (at the start of the end of the interval) as I saw him glance a few times. The Mr Braithwaite also changed one of the bits in the Maggie Thatcher song to Sunderland and gave me a wink and a smile when he said it.

It was class!
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Hi iht. I hope the seat info that you received off us all was helpful?
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
iht
Small Boy

Post by iht »

Billy Whiz wrote:Hi iht. I hope the seat info that you received off us all was helpful?
Aye it was thanks. B1 in the afternoon was ok, don't really miss too much however I felt a bit detached from it all. However, somebody came up to me before the evening show and asked whether I wanted to swap seats so I moved from B8 to A10. I loved A10 and I would love to sit there again, so close to the action and it is hardly a 'restricted view'.
Billy Whiz
Gallery Admin
Gallery Admin

Post by Billy Whiz »

Just shows you how people's tastes differ. I personally don't like A10 and prefer to sit in A6. I would also always take B8 over A10. Glad you were happy with the seats though. I hope we're going to get a review?
Billy Whiz is the Gallery Admin. Please send your photos, articles etc to forum.gallery[at]billyelliottheforum.me.uk Please replace [at] with @

In the email can you also please let me know the date where and when the photo(s) was taken, who is in the photo(s) as well as your forum name.

When you send photos to the gallery can you also please PM me to let me know that you have sent them. If I don't receive them after a couple of days I can then chase them up.
iht
Small Boy

Post by iht »

Billy Whiz wrote:Just shows you how people's tastes differ. I personally don't like A10 and prefer to sit in A6. I would also always take B8 over A10. Glad you were happy with the seats though. I hope we're going to get a review?
Maybe :) Won't be able to do it tomorrow as I'm coaching football then playing cricket for the rest of the day. Will try and get one done through the week though :)
Muppet
Michael

Post by Muppet »

Saturday 18th April (evening)

Tanner as Billy
Dean-Charles as Michael
Annabelle as Debbie

David Bardsley as Dad
Kate Graham as Mrs W
Ann Emery as Grandma
Tim Funnell as Tony
Barnaby as Older Billy

The long anticipated wait was over - I finally got to see the now legendary Tanner!!
As I've mentioned in his thread - his main strength is his ballet, it appeared flawless. AWESOME Pirouhettes! :o

Tanner looks like a Billy, he acts like a Billy and he dances like a Billy. No wonder the audiences love him so much!! I particularly liked his 'Letter scene'. Very touching.

It was also the first time I had seen Dean-Charles and I wondered whether this young man had been to the Shaun Malone school of 'Michael Training!'. He was cheeky, confident and very funny!

I have always enjoyed David Bardsley's interpretation of Dad, particularly when he is at the RBS with the ballet dancer!

David Massey as Posh Dad had me in stitches! This is one piece of the show that ALWAYS makes me laugh!!

I am so pleased for Kate to have the role of Mrs W. She is so good at it. Very warm.

Am not sure I liked ALL the little changes since I saw the show last, but that's just me!! Nothing really wrong with them I suppose!

A great show - well done to cast & crew!!
Born to Boogie
Tall Boy

Post by Born to Boogie »

Monday Evening 20th April

Tonight was my first visit to the show for a couple of months and although I've seen a lot of theatre over that time it was certainly good to be back at the VPT this evening for what I anticipate will be another run of shows in the coming months. I was very pleased to see from the cast board as I walked in that I was lucky enough to catch one of the two Billys I have yet to see and Tom's performance went on to confirm that for me the home of musical theatre most certainly remains the VPT. Tom's performance is one of those characterised by a million and one little details, each of which sparkle individually to mark out each movement, line and expression - the sum of which is a performance which offers so much for both those seeing the show for the first time and for those interested in learning more about the different portayals of the character. Tom is a firecracker of energy which burns on a short fuse to maintain just the right amount of tension when needed before igniting to become the ball of energy which betrays Billy's frustration and inner-struggle. From the laughter in 'Grandma's Song' through the energy of 'Angry Dance' and the sensitivity of 'The Letter' and 'Winter Scene' to the broad smile during the high-wire section of 'Swan Lake', Tom senses and portrays the emotions of his charater perfectly. For three hours tonight Tom 'became' Billy Elliot - an accolade which cannot be beaten. His performance this evening brought something new for me to a good number of scenes - something which isn't necessarily felt on every visit and which is undoubtedly down to his skill as an actor and performer. Tom played exceptionally well off each of the other cast members, both adult and child and Dean as Michael was superb. All credit to Tom and to the entire cast for tonight's performance which, as another reviewer recently said, proves 'the spirit lives on'. For me it certainly does and it is this spirit which allows us to connect, each in our own way, to what remains an amazing production.
aimeewill_2002
Tall Boy

Post by aimeewill_2002 »

Excellent review
bubsycm
Debbie

Post by bubsycm »

Went last night and it was another wonderful performance by Fox, George and Megan. A slight change for me as I've become used to seeing Lewis and Scarlet in the roles of Michael and Debbie recently.
Although the audience wasn't the most responsive I've been in Fox definitely blew them away. I love seeing his trademark smile come through at the end of Electricity and it amuses me when I sense that the audience have picked up on the fact that the louder they cheer the more he will smile. It turns from a normal applause to something much more special.
The part that always chokes me is when billy is going off and he runs and jumps into his dads arms. It just feels so real. That gets to me more than The Letter! I especially like being close to the front during that scene, seeing his dads eyes fill up :cry:
I know I haven't really commented on any special part of last night but it's just all so dang good! A well deserved standing ovation. Good ol' Fox.

ROLL ON MAY 12TH!
Charlotte x
Todd
Dad

Post by Todd »

bubsycm wrote: The part that always chokes me is when billy is going off and he runs and jumps into his dads arms. It just feels so real. That gets to me more than The Letter! I especially like being close to the front during that scene, seeing his dads eyes fill up :cry:
This is often the saddest moment in the show for me too. Part of it is the fact that Billy and his dad have had a rough relationship for most of the show. Just when you think things are starting to warm up between them - such as at the end of Swan Lake when Billy dances up to his dad - his dad instead responds with a loud "Go home Billy !" Same at the end of "Electricity" when you think his dad might put his arm around Billy or have some kind words for him. Instead Billy runs off and leaves his dad to exit by himself. So when the moment finally comes where Billy looks at his dad and makes a running jump into his arms, you know that the ice has finally been broken and they're able at last to outwardly show the love that they have for one another.

Return to “Reviews Archive”