US/CA TOUR SCHEDULE

accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Re: US/CA TOUR SCHEDULE

Post by accessmenj »

I would be very disappointed if Actors Equity did not picket any attempt to use non-union actors. These folks work way too hard, and already have conceded pay, benefits and working conditions under the SETA contract. I hope that those who have to make this decision will realize it to be a mistake and stick with Actors Equity.
dongringo
Debbie

Post by dongringo »

If the only way to turn a profit and keep the tour going were to go non-union, I'd still go see it if it came my way, as long as the quality didn't suffer that is. Ironic it would be, but it's only acting.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )
kport
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by kport »

dongringo wrote:If the only way to turn a profit and keep the tour going were to go non-union, I'd still go see it if it came my way, as long as the quality didn't suffer that is. Ironic it would be, but it's only acting.
The quality would most likely suffer, as virtually all professional actors are, or aspire to be, members of Actors' Equity. To take part in a non-union production may serve against the interests of an aspiring member of AE. I suppose a non-union production could be mounted, but it would be limited in the cast it would find. I may be wrong, but the impression I have is that AE is very robust at protecting the interests of its members.
cws8998
Ballet Girl

Post by cws8998 »

An Observation on the Tour Schedule:

I recently ordered tickets through Ticketmaster for the Tour's scheduled stop in Peoria, IL 3/12,3/13, and 3/14, [four shows in total]. This is only a three day stop for the Tour which is followed up by a two day stop in Sioux Falls, [three shows in total]. Both fall between the Tour's travels from Jacksonville to Edmonton.

I cring to think they can pull off such short stop-overs, particularly given the five huge Billy Elliot vans I saw parked behing the Stranahan in Toledo prior to their leaving. But goodness, more power to them if they can, in fact, pull it off.

Wondered if the "powers to be" in the Forum have any thoughts about such short stays given the logistics involved in transporting and setting up for the shows? Gives me cause to wonder if this might be customary in the long run for the Tour?

Regards, Colin
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

cws8998 wrote:I recently ordered tickets through Ticketmaster for the Tour's scheduled stop in Peoria, IL 3/12,3/13, and 3/14, [four shows in total]. This is only a three day stop for the Tour which is followed up by a two day stop in Sioux Falls, [three shows in total]
The first time they actually do the short stop scenario is late January:

Kansas City, MO (Close date: Jan. 27) ----> Clearwater, FL (1st Show: Jan. 29) Travel distance/time: 1278 miles in approx. 22 hrs.
Clearwater, FL (3 Shows) (Close date: Jan. 30) ------> Richmond, VA (1st Show: Feb. 1) Travel distance/time: 817 miles in approx. 14 hrs.
Richmond, VA (4 Shows) (Close date: Feb. 3)--------> Birmingham, AL (1st Show: Feb. 5) Travel distance/time: 691 miles in approx. 11.5 hrs.

Totals: Jan. 27 to Feb. 5 = 4 cities, 2786 miles traveled in approx. 47.5 hrs. travel time, Total Shows: 7

The compressed time frame will be tiring for both cast and crew, but the logistics really aren't any different than for the more normal one week stays. Usually, the load-out in one city is done immediately after the last show there on Sunday. Travel is done on Sunday night and Monday. The load-in for the next city is done on Tuesday with the first show occurring that evening. These experienced truckers and the equally experienced crew have that down to a science now.
cws8998 wrote:Gives me cause to wonder if this might be customary in the long run for the Tour?
From everything I've read, I do believe we'll see a lot more of these short stops in the future as the tour is booked into smaller cities that can't support a full week of shows or for shorter stays in larger cities where the tour has already played in the past couple of years.
BEtourfan
Tony

Post by BEtourfan »

kport wrote:The quality would most likely suffer, as virtually all professional actors are, or aspire to be, members of Actors' Equity. To take part in a non-union production may serve against the interests of an aspiring member of AE. I suppose a non-union production could be mounted, but it would be limited in the cast it would find. I may be wrong, but the impression I have is that AE is very robust at protecting the interests of its members.
Good point, kport. I also believe that AE members may face penalties if they work in non-union productions.
accessmenj
Mr Braithwaite

Post by accessmenj »

The SETA contract requires that the majority of the tour stops be one week or less.. This requires super-short stops to make up for the longer runs in LA and Boston. If SETA rules are not followed, Actors Equity requires, among other things, that the actors be paid higher wages. So the grueling travel schedule not only is tough on everyone, but it allows them to be paid less. Going non-union would only make things worse.
rob_hanson1979
George

Post by rob_hanson1979 »

I'm gonna out myself as a wrestling fan here... I've been watching wrestling since I was 8... in fairness I view professional wrestling as a choreographed show... the same as musicals or plays, etc...
Anyways... this is a pretty regular schedule for them too. They'll have a show in an arena. Once the show is over, they'll pack up, drive to another city, and spend the day setting up for a show that night. Sometimes they even do an afternoon show.
They use a stage and a wrestling ring... along with all the lighting and sound equipment, plus of course costumes, makeup, etc. And in each arena they need to coordinate catering, training rooms, local transportation, VIP visitors, Make a Wish visits, etc.
And 2-3 times a week these shows are broadcast live on TV as well.

OK I rambled and showed I know what too much about a rather embarrassing topic haha...
My point is like, whether its BE, WWE, a concert, or any other major show like Cirque De Soleil or something, they have amazing teams of professionals who design everything to be portable, and then they can get from place to place in time for all these shows. It leaves me in awe of what they do, and its too bad they don't get more recognition. I think its amazing!
Mike
Ballet Girl

Post by Mike »

ok somehow i am missing something... when i check the BE Tour web site i dont see some of these dates.... ie.. Birmingham Ala... which is just a lil over a 2hour drive for me....where is there a up to date schedule?
porschesrule
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by porschesrule »

Mike wrote:k somehow i am missing something... when i check the BE Tour web site i dont see some of these dates.... ie.. Birmingham Ala... which is just a lil over a 2hour drive for me....where is there a up to date schedule?
Mike,

Scroll back to page 1 of this thread. There is an up-to-date schedule there of all announced Tour stop dates.

Return to “Billy Elliot the Musical - N. Amer./Int'l Tour”